More of a Fitbit Question

Options
New to this and looking at how Fitbit communicates with myfitness to determine my "extra calories". Yesterday I earned 14 more calories because it said my Fitbit counte 1,639 calories burned. I walked 3.53 miles. Today it shows a extra of 175 calories in "my account" because I walked/ran 4 miles but my Fitbit only shows 1,433 calories burned.

So two questions:

1. Why is Fitbit only giving me credit for 1,433 calories burned with more distance than I put in the day before?
and
2. Why is myfitness pal giving me so many extra calories so I eat them just to find out I actually went over when I log in the next day....so is it best just to stick to my 1200 cal a day and go under?

Very confusing.

Replies

• sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can explain it :smile:

If you look at your MFP settings, based on how active you put and how much exercise you plan on doing MFP will give you an estimated daily calorie burn.

Fitbit will calculate your actual TDEE which is the number of calories you burn throughout the day.

Example

MFP estimate 2000

Fitbit actual TDEE 2200

200 earned from exercise.

ETA: I really hope that makes sense :flowerforyou:
  • catbell2
    catbell2 Posts: 6
    Options
    But it's only an estimate...because it says based on burning 1800 calories...when I've only burned 1452.00 as of right now.

If I'm in front of the TV the rest of the day its not going to happen.

Still wondering why it's only 1452 right now and yesterday when I walked less it gave me 1639.00...could be my fitbit isn't working right?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    But it's only an estimate...because it says based on burning 1800 calories...when I've only burned 1452.00 as of right now.

If I'm in front of the TV the rest of the day its not going to happen.

Still wondering why it's only 1452 right now and yesterday when I walked less it gave me 1639.00...could be my fitbit isn't working right?

You will burn calories for the rest of the day ... unless you die.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP is estimate based on the activity level you put. Fitbit is actual and will count calories burned up until midnight. Fitbit will also account for intensity. I'm not sure how long you've had your fitbit but it will take a few days to "learn" your activity level.