Low iron

Options
2»

Replies

• seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started taking an iron supplement about 4 months ago. The only significant change I've noticed is during my TOM. I'm no longer completely useless during it and I generally feel better.
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm also anemic - just being a woman, over 50 and having ridiculously heavy periods. I find that it 's easier on my stomach and bowels if I take a lower dose 3 times a day, rather than the one big dose and I don't sweat it if I miss it sometimes. Remember that you do not absorb the full pill dose, and the absorption rate varies with the type of iron you are taking. I try not to drink tea or food with it - vitamin C is a good way to help your body get the full benefit).

I tried Floradix liquid, but couldn't stand the taste - to me it tasted like blood soaked marigolds! LOL.

There's no way you can beat real anemia without a supplement, but I agree that you must be tested before taking iron, to make sure you really need it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Don't forget...you can cook in cast iron as well and that will add a lot of iron to your food.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've was diagnosed as having low iron levels and have been taking iron supplements for almost a year. I definitely feel much better than I did before. I take mine with vitimin c and try to avoid having with caffiene. Make sure you eat plenty of fibre because they can cause consitpation. Also you're supposed to take them on an empty stomach but if I do that it makes me very nauseous (just something to keep in mind).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Taking vitamin C in conjunction with iron supplements and iron-rich foods will help with absorption. I don't know about how zinc and iron interact, though.

^My Dr recommmended iron taken with orange juice ......vitamin C definitely helps

Raisn bran is high in iron (has vitamin C too).....the fiber helps with constipation mentioned previously.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    themeaningofthemorning Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    zinc blocks iron if taken within the 2 hour window of taking the iron

i want to take zinc because iron can block zinc's absorption, too, and i'm already presumably low on zinc/high on copper considering my diet.