Definitely some success, but...feedback, please?

Options
dcamell
dcamell Posts: 40 Member
I've been at this about five months now, from 255 at the worst, to 180 currently. I'm thrilled, definitely, but I...still feel like I'm big in the gut, and I start to wonder at 6 foot just how low I'll have to push to look "thin"? 185 was my original goal weight, but I've decided that I can certainly fathom trying for 165 at this point. Is 20 more pounds going to have as huge an impact as I'm hoping? Also, pardon the hilariously bad first picture.

Xmas '13 weight:
irka.jpg

Current weight:
xwyd.jpg

nbnj.jpg

Replies

• ddixon2888
    ddixon2888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about strength training at all? Not only can\will you gain mass but you'll be stronger and might find yourself enjoying the challenge of gaining muscle, not fat. You don't want to get yourself in a battle of always thinking your not skinny enough. Best of luck.
  • LadyTaransula
    LadyTaransula Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss! I personally think you look great. I obviously don't know anything about your muscle tone, but I think if you are still concerned about your gut being big, try toning instead of losing. I don't know what is a healthy weight for your size, so this is definitely just an opinion. Do whatever makes you feel good, just make sure to stay healthy. You are looking good, congrats again.
  • dcamell
    Options
    I've been doing strength training, almost exclusively of the upper body variety, since my outset. Chest press, bicep curls, crunches and push-ups on the first day, and shoulder press, pull downs, and just recently added leg extensions on the alternate day. Part of my trouble is, and I don't know if this is poor diet choices (for protein, not calories) or just because I'm eating at a significant deficit, but I haven't been able to add weights to any of these for almost a month now out of sheer inability to progress. Even worse, some nights I can't even maintain what weights I've been doing before (i.e., monday, I did 145 on the chest press for three sets no problem, tonight, I did two sets at 115, and had to scale all the way back to 100 for the last set.)
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You look great, awesome progress! I would say that instead of looking at weight loss, I would look at muscle gain and percent body fat in your circumstances. That can be achieved through mostly strength training with some cardio. Well done!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I would say the issue is that you said you are eating at a 'significant deficit'. Maybe what you should consider at this point is eating at maintenance or a couple of hundred or so over and hitting the weights. Something simple and basic like Stronglifts 5x5 would be good. AND, it's free. You can look up the info on here (there are groups), there is a free site, AND the dude has free vids on youtube. But I'd say the issue right now is the deficit and the fact that at a large deficit, you can be burning muscle if you aren't getting in enough protein. Hopefully some folks better versed in this than I will get on here and help ya out!
  • dcamell
    Options
    just so in not leaving thngs vague, the deficit is ~1100 calories daily. my tdee is about 2700-2800, and i have calories locked to 1650 daily.

i sort of feel as if i should create a bit more of a bufffer in terms of being about ten or fifteen lbs lighter before risking a surplus, but i wont claim to know best

also, if this belongs in a different forum, i apologize, been in this one most the night and figured it fit, but asking for advice perhaps it belongs elsewhere.
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    wow!!
  • LuckyStarrGal
    LuckyStarrGal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you should start some strength training. Build up what you have now and I bet you will be satisfied with results. Looking good, keep up the good work!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Why you skip leg day???

Squats and deadlifts are your friends.

Congrats on your loss!
  • mostlyrawvegan
    Options
    I think you look great. I would suggest more fruit and veggie and to ease any bloating you may have from foods like bread or dairy if you eat them. Hope that helps.
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Wowzer
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I think another 20 pounds would be too much. I would strength train now to reshape and get more definition.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, think less about weight loss and more about body recomp.

In order to maintain muscle mass so you're losing more fat and building a better body form, you need to reduce that calorie deficit. You're currently at a 40% or more and without medical supervision, your deficit really shouldn't be more than 20%. So I think the first step is increasing your calorie intake. You might see a slight gain at first but again, don't worry so much about what the scale says for a bit. You'll still be at a calorie deficit as long as you stay at your current activity leve so you shouldn't have to worry.

TDEE-20% would be 2160
    TDEE-15% would be 2300

You may gain a bit of muscle initially but at a calorie deficit, it's very difficult to gain mass. However, it is possible to gain streingth with proper nutrition and you will retain more muscle mass and see improvement in training. Make sure you're getting plenty of carbs and protein. If you're using the MFP standard for protein, eat more than that or custom set goals to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat). In order to gain muscle mass, you'll need to eat at least your TDEE if not more.
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    I think you look great. I would suggest more fruit and veggie and to ease any bloating you may have from foods like bread or dairy if you eat them. Hope that helps.

NO.
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    just so in not leaving thngs vague, the deficit is ~1100 calories daily. my tdee is about 2700-2800, and i have calories locked to 1650 daily.

i sort of feel as if i should create a bit more of a bufffer in terms of being about ten or fifteen lbs lighter before risking a surplus, but i wont claim to know best

also, if this belongs in a different forum, i apologize, been in this one most the night and figured it fit, but asking for advice perhaps it belongs elsewhere.

You don't need a buffer. Unless you are eating 500 over your TDEE, you aren't going to gain something massive. But at this point, you want to fill out and gain muscle because your weight is already good for your height. Search recomposition on here or even on Google to see what you can do. Weight isn't the end all be all when it comes to health. Body fat and muscle tone are the other big parts and I would argue the real issues. Right now, no offense, you appear 'skinny fat'. Now, if skinny was what you were going for and you aren't into muscle, that's good. But if you're wanting some tone/muscle, lifting is where it is at. And like I said, you don't have to eat at a HUGE surplus, but eating at your TDEE could really do amazing things for you just over the course of a few months.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!