How many calories

Options
Want to drop about 15 pounds, i'm 5"10 190 pounds

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    use this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I would suggest a 10% deficit because you're so close to your goal weight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    How many caloric deficit is necessary to lose 15 pounds you mean? Well 15 times 3,500 so 52,500 calories.

That means if your calorie intake is lower than the amount you require for your day whatever that deficit is adds up and when it adds up over time to 52,500 you will have lost 15 pounds of fat.

If you are asking how many calories you should be eating to lose 15 pounds well a 500 calorie daily deficit is a good place to start.
  • sam48126
    sam48126 Posts: 21
    Options
    it's telling me here to eat 2,090 calories, i'll try that and see what happens, or is that too much?

sorry new to all this calorie counting.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I'm 6' tall 180 pounds just trying to lose 20 pounds and I'm eating about 2100 calories a day and losing a little over a pound a week so yeah man that sounds about right to me.

Depends on your activity level too of course, if you are working out or not.
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    it's telling me here to eat 2,090 calories, i'll try that and see what happens, or is that too much?

Is that what MFP set you at? That seems like it could be reasonable given your height and weight. If you set your MFP calorie goal to lose weight at a half pound per week (as you probably should) it will give you a seemingly high number. However, it will still be a deficit, thus you will still lose weight.
  • sam48126
    Options

Is that what MFP set you at? That seems like it could be reasonable given your height and weight. If you set your MFP calorie goal to lose weight at a half pound per week (as you probably should) it will give you a seemingly high number. However, it will still be a deficit, thus you will still lose weight.

yeah i have it set 1 pound wkly
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    also depends how accurate your calorie tracking is
    and whether you're eatin 2090 Cal or 2090Cal+fudge

YMMV
  • Forty6and2
    Options

Ok, that's reasonable. Just be sure you're measuring your food and calorie burns correctly. Read these threads for reference:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • sam48126
    Options
    Have to lay off the damn soda, was drinking 3 cans a day.
  • sam48126
    Options

Ok, that's reasonable. Just be sure you're measuring your food and calorie burns correctly. Read these threads for reference:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Thank you:smile:
  • Forty6and2
    Options

Soda isn't inherently bad, it's just empty calories for the most part. I switched to coke zero, it's by far the best tasting diet drink I've ever had. If you wish to make the transition to diet sodas, that's the one I would suggest. I'm not even a coke fan, either.
  • sam48126
    Options

YMMV

Planning on buying a food scale tomorrow, where is the best place to get it....Target?Walmart?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Hey man thats a good thing really. Soda is something you can cut out pretty easily and it will make a big difference in your calories which will make your goal pretty easy to hit I think. Just takes some diligence, tracking what you eat...hitting that 2100 day in day out and months down the line you will see some definite improvement.

Been my experience anyways. Takes time though, don't be expecting any overnight changes.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

YMMV

Planning on buying a food scale tomorrow, where is the best place to get it....Target?Walmart?

Bet both of them have them. Just get a digital one is my only recommendation, don't know a thing about brand or anything. Think I just got mine at a local supermarket.
  • sam48126
    Options

Hey man thats a good thing really. Soda is something you can cut out pretty easily and it will make a big difference in your calories which will make your goal pretty easy to hit I think. Just takes some diligence, tracking what you eat...hitting that 2100 day in day out and months down the line you will see some definite improvement.

Been my experience anyways. Takes time though, don't be expecting any overnight changes.

Thanks for the motivation bro
  • SweetLove91
    Options
    I'm 5'0 137pounds & my goal weight is between 120-125 does anyone know if i do nothing but weight lifting if ill lose the weight i want to lose & tone at the same time..?
  • asciiqwerty
    Options

YMMV

anywhere you like, brand is not so important, but
    I would sugest getting a digital one that weighs in grams and has a tare/zero function, I also like to have one that does negatives from zero so i can put the bottle of oil on it tare it, then put it back on and it tells me -4 so i know i've used 4g of oil

I also like to have and easy clean flat surface that makes it easy to use any type of container
  • Forty6and2
    Options

YMMV

I got mine from Meijer for about $19. It's Eat Smart brand and it's really good. I use it for freaking EVERYTHING!
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    and beware the accuracy (or lack thereof) of entries in the database, check everything against the package that you have and if in doubt use the entries without * as they are USDA based
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    I'm 5'0 137pounds & my goal weight is between 120-125 does anyone know if i do nothing but weight lifting if ill lose the weight i want to lose & tone at the same time..?

It's a good idea to start lifting while in the process. You don't have long to go, so I would bet that lifting would help your body become more firm as it is right now and just get better as you lose.