Need More Protein and Sugar and Cut Down on Sodium

Options
Hi,

I have started more than a week ago. I seem to have trouble meeting my protein and sugar count. I seem to have a lot of sodium always exceeding.

Advice what kind of drinks or food for protein and what foods to avoid for sodium.

I am interested to hear advice from people who live in Malaysia.

Thank you.

Replies

• brighid40
    brighid40 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

Firstly the sugar amount is the MAXIMUM you can have, you do not (and really should not) try to meet this amount (this is the same as with fats, you should not aim to meet the fat target as it is also a maximum). However, it might be worth knowing that the website doesn't distinguish between the sugars which are a natural part of fruits and the sugars which are added to foods. For example, I ate a banana and an apple yesterday and exceeded my sugar intake according to the website, but as I ate no added sugars and didn't exceed my overall calorie aim it's not a problem. I hope that makes sense.

In terms of protein, easy sources are meat and fish (if you eat it), soya products (like tempeh and tofu), eggs, and pulses such as lentils and beans. You should try to have a portion of one of these protein containing foods with each meal.

Sodium is basically part of salt and salt is often high in processed foods. Things like bread, salted/cured meats (like bacon and salami), tofu that has been marinated, miso, soy sauce, most other sauces and condiments, stock cubes and other packet flavourings, foods containing monosodium glutamate, canned foods that are in salted water (like canned tuna and sometimes canned beans and vegetables). If you are eating processed foods try and check the packaging if it lists sodium or salt: it is high if it contains 1.5g salt (0.6g sodium) per 100g of food, it is low if it contains 0.3g salt (o.1g sodium).

Too much sodium is linked to high blood pressure and the resultant heart disease and stroke risk so it's really important to keep the amount we eat as low as possible.

Hope this helps.
  • KellyCPalmer
    Options
    You do not have to drink milk to get enough calcium.
    My Greek yogurt is bright for calcium - and many people do not realize you can get calcium from things like salmon and baked beans.
    A list of foods that are reasonably high in calcium include sardines, tofu and ice cream ...

There are lots of ways that we can hit our nutritional goals if we become reasonably knowledgeable about the food.
    http://safercolonreal.com/
  • kaiwin1
    kaiwin1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the information. Yep will certainly now put eggs back into my eating plan.