Advice for stength training newbie - equiment and routine

Options
Hello MFP,

I have had lots of success on MFP losing weight. I started at 196lbs about 3 years ago and now I'm down to 135lbs. I'm short and still carrying a lot of excess weight and plenty of fat. I've been trying to get down to 120lbs for the last year and making no progress. Now I know that this is partly due to losing some motivation. As the margins get smaller it gets harder to make a difference. The good news is that I've been maintaing and continuing to improve my fitness. I do lots of cardio including cycling to work every day and running. I run 10ks and do triathlons. I like my cardio workouts and feel they improve my health and wellbeing.

I would like to start adding some weight training to my routine and start building some strength. I'm a complete newbie and very weak (cannot do single proper press up). I hope this will help with shifting the last few pounds, improve my body composition and remotivate me in general.

Here are my questions. I would really appreciate some advice. I'm sure there are many MFPs who have been through this stage.

a) I don't really want to buy any more equipment at this stage and I want to work out from home. Can I design a training programme around some basic equipment and still see progress? I have dumbbells with adjustable weight and a variety of kettlebells. I'm not ready to invest in a bar. Can I get by with just these items and bodyweight exercises?

b) Can you recommend a good programme for me to start with? I have read good reviews of NROLFW but it seems to require a bar, which I don't have.

c) any other views or advice would be most welcome.

Thank you

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well if you aren't willing to invest in extra equipment that leaves you with things like

convict training
    body weight workouts

Google those above and you will find some good programs to help.

I am sure people will other types of workouts as well.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Its not necesarily a case of "if you are not willing" and "that leaves you with" - more a case of "you don't have to" and "you could find its just as awesome to...".

If you are not sure whether bodyweight style resistance training is sufficient to build progressive strength, have a look for Al Kavadlo on You Tube (We're Working Out) and yes, Convict Conditioning is a good program as is You Are Your Own Gym.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like body weight and kettle bell work outs. i feel that they require a lot more discipline than barbell training, because you usually have to do a lot more reps for them to be effective.

for a great kettlebell and body weight work out, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    have a read of this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

Also
    fitness blender.com has a good beginner kettle bell work out plus other dumb bell /kettle bell workouts.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    There's some really good advice for getting started with strength training on Nerd Fitness. There's information about body weight workouts, or using dumbbells only:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lauren Brooks put together a program called "Strong Like A Mother". She has a lot of stuff on YouTube as well. Bonus: her sister is a club DJ, so her videos always have cool music.