Need HELP....Not Losing

Options
So I've been doing a high protein, low carb diet..increased exercise and eating less, but still not losing. I know I shouldnt' weigh myself everyday, and that's prob why I'm frustrated, but still not much of a lost over the last couple days. Am I not eating enough?? any suggestions??
I've been netting around 650-800 between exercise and diet...should I try to eat more if I'm exercising?? any advice?? Im getting very frustrated.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

Recommend reading material. Give it a shot. Everyone mind tells you ok no weight loss this week. Eat less workout more. Weight lost is more than just calories in calories out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes you should net a minimum of 1200 calories a day regardless of exercise...

Goal should be eat as much as you can and still lose weight not eat as little as you can and be hungry all the time.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You are trying to do too much too soon. Don't weigh every day, EAT MORE, and don't expect to lose so quickly.
    The article above is GREAT... You should definitely check it out.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    You are trying to do too much too soon. Don't weigh every day, EAT MORE, and don't expect to lose so quickly.
    The article above is GREAT... You should definitely check it out.

I also failed to do that. No change on scale eat less workout more. That digs you into a deeper hole. The article I recommend does work because that is how I am losing fat and scale weight and still getting stronger.
  • jkey2004
    jkey2004 Posts: 21
    Options
    thanks...so eat less and exercise less?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Or eat more workout more. Pick what you like .I love the gym so days that I lift heavy I have to eat more or else I will slowly mess up my /metabolism.
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    but still not much of a lost over the last couple days.

Just to make sure, you're not expecting to start losing weight immediately and every day right?

A decent loss for a whole week is about 2 lb (Obviously higher or lower depending on a number of things)
  • TheAverageDan
    TheAverageDan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great article.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Great article.

Thanks man I am a T nation fanatic now since I figure out how to get stronger and lose fat and weight scale.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on...........
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I know I shouldnt' weigh myself everyday, and that's prob why I'm frustrated, but still not much of a lost over the last couple days.

Dont weigh yourself everyday, I find even weighing once a week doesnt show me results, BUT a tape measure would help show you if you are losing while the scale fluctuates. (but more than once a week and you will be disappointed.

MFP is designed to eat back exercise calories.
  • Antoinette577
    Options
    Reading this article, I now know what I was doing wrong. My calorie intake a day should be 1200 calories. I am often 200 (more or less) short of the 1200 calorie intake and let it go. I also do Zumba 4 days a week and am also trying out strength training classes. Doing Zumba burns 497 calories which I should make up to reach my 1200 limit instead of letting 500 or more calories go for the day. I have been on MyFitnessPal for almost 4 weeks and lost 2 lbs the 1st week and gained a pound today (5/8/14). Am I understanding this correctly?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I also do Zumba 4 days a week and am also trying out strength training classes. Doing Zumba burns 497 calories which I should make up to reach my 1200 limit instead of letting 500 or more calories go for the day.

How do you know 100% that you are burning 497 calories in that session?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Reading this article, I now know what I was doing wrong. My calorie intake a day should be 1200 calories. I am often 200 (more or less) short of the 1200 calorie intake and let it go. I also do Zumba 4 days a week and am also trying out strength training classes. Doing Zumba burns 497 calories which I should make up to reach my 1200 limit instead of letting 500 or more calories go for the day. I have been on MyFitnessPal for almost 4 weeks and lost 2 lbs the 1st week and gained a pound today (5/8/14). Am I understanding this correctly?

You should be netting 1200 calories (and possibly more, most people set their weight loss goals to be too aggressive). This means eat 1200 calories, then also eat however many calories you burn during exercise. You need enough calories to fuel your workouts and give you energy, meet your nutrient needs, and prevent metabolic damage long-term. If you don't lose weight after a few weeks, eat back half your exercise calories - people often underestimate what they're eating and overestimate what they're burning. Use a food scale to weigh your food so you can be as accurate as possible.

That 1 lb gain you see could be caused by a number of factors, including water retention from a high-sodium day or where you are in your monthly cycle. You didn't gain fat if you're eating as little and exercising as much as you say you are.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

ah no..you are netting under 1200 now...net at least 1200 and exercise if you want.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

ah no..you are netting under 1200 now...net at least 1200 and exercise if you want.

Can I ask you a question because you are basic at the finish line of your goal where you can maintain. At any point during your weight lost did your weight ever stall for I say two to three weeks? I see from other post you are big on calories in and calories out. There is more to weight lost than that. As many people on here are struggling with should I eat less and exercise more theory.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Saw where you got that from in the article. Unless you've been undereating and overexercising for months and months, you should be able to go to eating 1200 calories minimum right away. No need to slowly increase calories and cut back on exercise. Don't be afraid of the scale going up a few pounds, either - it will come right back off once you get your calorie and exercise levels where they should be.

If you've been netting 500 calories for 6 months, that's a different story, and you should probably see a doctor and a dietician to get you back on the right track the healthy way.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Have you read place that your metabolism will basically show you how you can gain or lose scale weight.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but i went to see a dietitian for the same reason. Basically the feedback i got was that when you go low carb you tend to go high protein but also high fat. I'm not saying all fats are bad because they aren't but fat is the most easily stored of the 3. She recommended that i flip actually - 45%C/25%P/30%F which i have been doing for 3 weeks and my weight is moving. I have 2100 calories a day so it gives me 70F grams. Having low fat diet will push you to make good decisions about carb choices - a lot of fruit and veg. I have 65g of fat a day and it really keeps the diet in line. It's just another suggestion. Not saying it is right for you but its been working for me. Good luck!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'm no expert but i went to see a dietitian for the same reason. Basically the feedback i got was that when you go low carb you tend to go high protein but also high fat. I'm not saying all fats are bad because they aren't but fat is the most easily stored of the 3. She recommended that i flip actually - 45%C/25%P/30%F which i have been doing for 3 weeks and my weight is moving. I have 2100 calories a day so it gives me 70F grams. Having low fat diet will push you to make good decisions about carb choices - a lot of fruit and veg. I have 65g of fat a day and it really keeps the diet in line. It's just another suggestion. Not saying it is right for you but its been working for me. Good luck!

That what it is all about. finding what works for the individual.