Oatmeal...

Options
13»

Replies

• KellyCPalmer
    Options
    Many things have happened since last really posted about losing weight and all, but I'll leave that for another thing. My main question is: What exercise is low impact and good for after patellar dislocation? A couple of months ago, I dislocated left kneecap playing football again and pushed myself when I was on the astro turf. I have a cricket splint, crutches, followed by a donut ring brace and now want to start a new fitness plan. I can not do high impact exercise because it makes you uncomfortable and feel patella dislocation seems to work during high impact exercise. I need to know a good exercise that I can do what is low impact, like swimming, so you can get back on track.
    http://safercolonreal.com/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why it's important to eat oatmeal if you don't like it? After all, whole grain bread, müsli, and several other grains can do the same for you as oatmeal, without having to work around your preferences.

And if you really want to get your oats but want a different taste and texture, I make oat-flour waffles or pancakes, because I can't have gluten. It's good, it's quick, it's healthy (if you skip the sugar.) I just use regular recipes, but add a bit more liquid relative to the flour, because oats get a bit more dry than wheat.

Oats are the grain world version of the perfect food. You get all of the benefits of any whole grains, but oatmeal also contains lignans, a plant compound that has been found to prevent heart disease. Oats also lower your cholesterol, especially your LDL, and is higher in fiber than other grains so when you eat oats for breakfast, you're going to feel full for a long time as well as help regulate the bowels.

On the non-food front, oat flour (aka colloidal oatmeal) in bath water will soothe skin irritations and rashes, sunburn, insect bites, and help psoriasis breakouts. Hydrolyzed oat protein in shampoo and conditioner strengthens the hair shaft, and oat bran oil is very skin friendly with anti-inflammatory properties, gets absorbed quickly, and nourishes the skin.
  • IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I normally have my oatmeal with a mashed banana and a little bit of cocoa powder sprinkled in it.
    I sometimes stir in some protein powder and almond butter in it as well.

You could also use oats to make pancakes as well for a change. Just blend some oats with egg, baking powder and some banana to make a batter. There's quite a few recipes around for them.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are amazing and you can really add anything you want. Love using unsweetened vanilla almond milk with it as well.

My fave overnight oatmeal recipe:
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats + 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk + 1 tsp chia seeds + 1 tsp coconut sugar + 1 tsp peanut butter. Tastes like peanut butter cookie dough.

Here are some baked oatmeal recipes I love:
    http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/19/heavenly-carrot-cake-baked-oatmeal/ - Like a healthy carrot cake. Delish!
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/05/10/tropical-pineapple-boozy-baked-oatmeal/
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/02/04/vegan-bananas-foster-baked-oatmeal/

I also like the following combinations on my regular oatmeal with chia seeds:
    Diced apples + cinnamon + chopped walnuts
    Sliced strawberries + shredded sweetened coconut
    Sliced bananas + shredded sweetened coconut
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I also used to hate oatmeal, until I found some flavors I really liked. Kashi hot cereal (not just oatmeal) in Vanilla and Nature's Path in cinnamon blueberry. Then I tried Bob's Red Mill meusli (oatmeal and other grains with dates, raisins and nuts). Once I got used to it all, I can pretty much eat plain oatmeal with half a scoop of protein shake mixed in, or else a little spoon of honey and some cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I like to cook it in almond milk, and sautee an apple and a peach or pear in coconute oil, add that with some dried cranberries and some honey. Mmm.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I make mine with fruit cooked in with it - bananas are good because the texture kind of melds and they sweeten the oatmeal pretty well. I slice up some bananas and boil them with the water before I add the oats (I use steel-cut), then cook as normal. I also salt the water, and I eat my bowl of oatmeal with milk. (I also just… like oatmeal to begin with, so this might not be so helpful if you really don't like it.) In general, cooking the fruit in the oatmeal is a good way to add flavor and sweetness, whatever fruit you use.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to start with a decent bowl of oatmeal.

Those were my grandfather's words of wisdom. He was a farmer for the first 75 years of his life, lived to be 96, and was healthy up until the last 2 weeks. He insists that a bowl of oatmeal was why he lived so long (I'm sure healthy eating in general and hard physical labor had a bit to do with it too). I make my oatmeal simple: 1/2 c old fashioned oats, 1 c water, microwave for 2 minutes and add a little artificial sweetener.

Anyway, one of my favorite recipes:

Energy Bites

1 cup oatmeal
    ½ cup chocolate chips
    ½ cup peanut butter
    ½ cup ground flaxseed
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together, form into 12 balls and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

Wow this sounds amazing. I am making them!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i just nuke frozen strawberries and blue berries and dump those in along with a scoop of strawberry protien powder. not ever powder will be appetizing lol, but if you get the right one it tastes great
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but sometimes I sneak it in a smoothie for my daughter who doesnt like it.
  • gallen2O
    gallen2O Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    oh man, after reading this thread...i think im about to go eat oatmeal...and i usually NEVER crave it! I eat it for breakfast maybe once or twice a week...

I cook mine with almond milkk....and i add a banana, raisins, and cinnamon! it's so yummy! after reading this though, i think im gonna go make it now and add some walnuts this time :)

and if you use the banana, any fruit, raisins, cinnamon, or any of that, no extra sugar is needed. It's bland and unflavorful in my opinion when it's plain...but banana and raisin gives it the perfect sweetness

oh and i did make it with vanilla protein powder (natures bounty from puritan pride) one time and it was soooo good...but that was my last two scoops of vanilla and i only had chocolate left....so i tried it with the chocolate next time and ewe omg never again!!!