"Slow & Steady" has become inconsistent and unmotivated

Options
viglet
viglet Posts: 299 Member
I have been tracking for 22 months and to be honest, when I look back, I don’t even know how I lost all the weight. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted and as long as I didn’t go over my cals I felt proud. I worked out however I wanted as long as I burnt calories. I didn’t look at macros or have a specific fitness regime. I just kept it simple... calories in vs calories out. And I lost.

Then I started reading and reading and reading and I realized apparently I was doing it all wrong. I wasn’t looking at my macros... I wasn’t lifting. I was eating too little? I was eating too much? Omg honestly so much info. I just want to be the healthiest I can be. I feel like I’ve just flustered myself.

I have been trying to get to my goal size/shape/weight (whatever it is) for 22 months... TWENTY TWO MONTHS!!! And honestly I just feel tired of it all now. My logging is becoming less and less consistent. My willpower is becoming non-existent.

This isn’t the first time I have needed motivation, but it is the first time that I have had such a long stretch of time without progress (since the beginning of the year).

Anyone else overcome this type of feeling? Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    By doing the simplest, most basic program of all, you've almost reached your goal weight. Why give up now? Or change anything that was working for you? Why not just go back to what was working?
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Can I just say HOLY COW 67lbs!? SIXTY SEVEN POUNDS. That is all.

You know you can do it, you know how awesome you look/feel compared to 22 months ago. Go back to what was working and giv' 'er!!
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just make through because you have made so much progress!!!! Perhaps you have hit a plateau, but this is common.
    Concentrate on maintaining till you figure it out, but don't get too discouraged. You have come so far!!!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    All I'm going to say is that you look amazing! I creeped your pictures. 67 pounds, congratulate yourself!
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think your progress tells you to stay the course! I'd say you've done a lot of hard work and that there are days and times we all get tired of it. Especially when we don't see progress. Just recommit. Even if it's for 5 days at a time to logging in and logging it all and being active. See how you feel if you are being concerted in your effort to consistency.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Since it worked and you lost weight, you weren't doing ANYTHING wrong. I have about 60lbs to lose and I'm planning on doing exactly what you did - eating whatever I want under my calorie goal most days, and exercising when I can to become fitter. It obviously wasn't the wrong thing to do because it worked for you! But now you've plateaued, you might need to do MORE work to overcome that. There's no one-size-fits-all way to overcome a plateau, but if you said you don't log consistently I would definitely start there. It's so easy to 'accidentally' eat at maintenance instead of a deficit when you don't log your food.

And keep it up! You're definitely an inspiration to some of us beginners :)
  • vermillionlove
    vermillionlove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements? Your body may be changing with your lifting, but the number on the scale can remain the same.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I am with you there. I have been doing this for a bit longer than you, and did it the same way. Just became aware of macros etc recently. Don't get discouraged by all the info. You may have stalled if you are not being consistent in your logging. Once you are doing that, maybe you can start to try and hit your protein goal, or pick another small goal to add in. Hang in there!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ate whatever I wanted and as long as I didn’t go over my cals I felt proud. I worked out however I wanted as long as I burnt calories. I didn’t look at macros or have a specific fitness regime. I just kept it simple... calories in vs calories out. And I lost.

Then I started reading and reading and reading and I realized apparently I was doing it all wrong. I wasn’t looking at my macros... I wasn’t lifting. I was eating too little? I was eating too much? Omg honestly so much info. I just want to be the healthiest I can be. I feel like I’ve just flustered myself.

So quit reading and go back to worked for you in the beginning its really quite simple. Calories in vs. calories out, workout whenever for however long and be done.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    when i stopped logging - b/c i got too busy and got in my own way - i gained back 30 of the 50 i had lost.

do not let your ticker do what mine did.

you're doing a GREAT job. if simple calories in / calories out was working for you then go back to that! and find a workout that makes you smile and feel like a rockstar.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    So quit reading and go back to worked for you in the beginning its really quite simple. Calories in vs. calories out, workout whenever for however long and be done.

This ^^^ If it aint broke don't fix it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 28 months and still haven't hit my goal weight yet!! But that's ok, because slow steady is the way to go and I only have a few pounds to go. Right now I am taking a break and maintaining my weight and later on I will take care of the last few pounds!! :bigsmile:

44 yrs old

CW: 116

GW: 110-112
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've done just fine to me. I think we all get "tired" of it sometimes. I took a little "hiatus" from around November until March. I tried to eat right most of the time but I didn't weigh or measure, I just looked at it. And of course with the holidays and football playoffs and superbowl, I misbehaved a few times. I gained back 5 lbs and decided to start again. I have lost on a slow, steady pace since then, but I am feeling the same way you are right now. Family problems, getting sick with some serious cooties, etc.... have just made me lose my mojo. I haven't felt like exercising, so I am just counting my calories and trying to behave as much as possible until I get my energy back. You're not alone, but please don't give up. Just try to at least maintain your current weight until you get that motivation again. Good luck!
  • kanittaj
    kanittaj Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat as you. I have been on it since July of 2012 (exactly 22 months) and I feel like I am at a standstill. I did exactly what you did. I ate whatever, just kept it under my calorie goal and I worked out 3-4 days a week (lost nearly 50 pounds). I just read a Yahoo article that suggests that I should change up my workout regime. Do my strength training first, then do cardio (30 mins. each). I am interested in seeing what others have done... You do look amazing! You will reach your goal!!!:wink:
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking for 22 months and to be honest, when I look back, I don’t even know how I lost all the weight. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted and as long as I didn’t go over my cals I felt proud. I worked out however I wanted as long as I burnt calories. I didn’t look at macros or have a specific fitness regime. I just kept it simple... calories in vs calories out. And I lost.

I have been trying to get to my goal size/shape/weight (whatever it is) for 22 months... TWENTY TWO MONTHS!!! And honestly I just feel tired of it all now. My logging is becoming less and less consistent. My willpower is becoming non-existent.

This isn’t the first time I have needed motivation, but it is the first time that I have had such a long stretch of time without progress (since the beginning of the year).

Anyone else overcome this type of feeling? Anyone else in the same boat?

I could have written this myself. I haven't been going as long as you, but everytime I read something new it's like "Oh, I have to do THIS now" and all the complications are derailing me to the point that about 2 weeks ago I decided to give myself a break. No more macro counting, and I have only exercised 1 time in the last 2 weeks. ( I did lose a pound or two during that time b/c I'm just watching in vs. out) I just feel burned out. Looking forward to reading the rest of the comments here for tips too. Hang in there!
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your comments and feedback.

I am proud of how far I have come, but I can't help but wanting to wear a bikini one day lol.

It sounds like this is a common feeling though. I think I am going to try and get back on just focusing on calories in and out and maybe once I have success with that again, I can think about looking at my macros again.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Do not change what works for you until it stops working. I have been at this since the end of Nov 2012, so 18 (15?) months (?), took a 3 month break during summer, well 3 month fall back really, gain 10lbs back. None happy with myself, but anywho, 73lbs lost so far. I think there is nothing wrong with a maintenance break, but that does still mean eating within the correct calorie limit. After all, this is a life choice, not a diet. Once I hit 140lbs I plan on maintaining for about 3 months. I eat what I want within my cal goals, I work out sometimes 5x a week, sometimes none. Information is great, but do what you can keep up with for the rest of your life.
  • ToBeThatGirlIDreamOf
    ToBeThatGirlIDreamOf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    About 2 1/2 years ago, I did whateevr workouts I wanted that day and just made sure to do portion control and count my calories. Lost 10 pounds. Quit caring. Gained it back and then some. Now I am debating whether to just try to be under my calories or decipher between all the sugar, sodium, carbs, fat, best exercise, worse exercise, etc. We're already friends, if we can agree on a path, then we can be accountability partners :)