Never going back to bottled pesto again!

Options
shawmutt
shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
O...M...G... so good. This is a recipe forum, so I'll include the recipe, but I really just wanted to show the picture. I'm lucky, my grocery store sells potted basil, so I get it home and give it some TLC before murdering it for it's leaves. So green! Sorry it's in tupperware, it's actually going in tomorrow's dinner-if that turns out good I'll share that too!

Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
Basil - 4 cups, loosely packed
Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
Parmesan - 2 oz., grated
Olive oil - 1/4 cup

Toast the pine nuts if you want. Pulse everything but the olive oil in a food processor until it's a paste, then drizzle in olive oil until it's the consistency of sauce.

Yib8pTll.jpg

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Calories?
  • shawmutt
    Options
    4 servings, 222 Calories, 2g carbs, 22g fat, 6g protein, 195g sodium, 1g sugar.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I always make my own since husband is always growing basil for me. If you aren't watching your sodium a touch of salt will lift it even more but otherwise it sounds great and parmesan is a little salty anyway.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    O...M...G... so good. This is a recipe forum, so I'll include the recipe, but I really just wanted to show the picture. I'm lucky, my grocery store sells potted basil, so I get it home and give it some TLC before murdering it for it's leaves. So green! Sorry it's in tupperware, it's actually going in tomorrow's dinner-if that turns out good I'll share that too!

Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
    Basil - 4 cups, loosely packed
    Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
    Parmesan - 2 oz., grated
    Olive oil - 1/4 cup

Toast the pine nuts if you want. Pulse everything but the olive oil in a food processor until it's a paste, then drizzle in olive oil until it's the consistency of sauce.

Yib8pTll.jpg
    I'm a pesto fanastic! I've been decreasing the cheese, oil and pine nuts a little at a time. Add water or chicken broth plus a bit of lemon juice. Next time I will measure, to check calories.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    It's also really good with cashews instead of pine nuts.
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's also really good with cashews instead of pine nuts.

Yes cashews do work well in it too. The place I use to work at made it with cashews.

I thin it out with a little cream or evaporated milk to make it creamy too.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you want a milder garlic flavor, you can toast the garlic cloves briefly in a dry non-stick pan before peeling them (toast until you see sort of brown spots appearing on the skin).
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I think that should read 195 mg sodium !
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Looks amazing and sounds simple to make. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    looks good !!!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pesto freezes really well. I divide it up into little portions, freeze them and then find them at the back of the freezer in January! Wonderful!!
  • SHINDY12
    SHINDY12 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • heartandsoul1
    heartandsoul1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have made this with out the pine nuts just as good and lower calories. Also have used kale in place of basil
  • shawmutt
    Options

I think that should read 195 mg sodium !

LOL yep, sorry
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know you could buy bottled pesto! I grow a ton of basil every year to make some, and freeze it (without the nuts).
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    bumping, I would like to try my own pesto!
  • bonkers1224
    bonkers1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yummy thanks for sharing :tongue:
  • WorkingJedi
    WorkingJedi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for pesto recipe on line and I saw this thanks ! M :)