Fit to Fat, back to Fit. Soreness and other woes. Advice?

Options
Ok. I am no stranger to working out. Once upon a time, I was a 4-5 day a week gym rat... mostly weight training.

Since then I've been married, gone to school, and subsequently gotten a little fat and out of shape.

I've lost about 25lbs on my own without doing much exercise. I have started working from home, and have been really un-active. I recently got a Jawbone UP24 to see where my daily activity was- and being home bound leaves me with a whopping average of 1,200 steps per day. No good. So clearly, I've been waaaaay too much of a veggie for too long.

I'm stepping up my game with regards to getting the rest of this weight off and getting my once toned and hot body back. I thought I'd start with good ol' Jillian Michaels DVDs to get some endurance back before getting serious at the gym. I did 30 Day Shred yesterday because it's one of the shorter workouts of hers I own.

O.M.G. I woke up this morning, and pretty much every inch of my body is soooo sore. Lower yourself to the toilet sore. I'm usually one to just take the soreness and wait for it to pass.... but I can tell this will be a solid 4 days of ouch.

So, I'm looking for some advice.

For those who were once in shape, and are heading back... how did you do it? Did you find it easier or harder the second time around? Did you just jump into an easier version of your old routine? Switch it up? Was getting back into a routine difficult?

And the soreness. I know it will be here.... but dear sweet 6 pound baby Jesus there has to be a way to make it ease up.

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight but I have done the 30 day shred and the first couple times that I did it I felt like I was going to die. I was sweating so much and for a few days afterwards everything hurt. I remember the next day at work I really needed to pee but I literally had to fall down onto the toilet seat, my thighs hurt so much lol

For you I would recommend listening to your body and making sure that you're not overdoing it. But other than that, make sure that you're getting lots of hydration and stretching everything out before and after. That can help a lot.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I actually feel better when I foam roll, then warm up with dynamic stretching, do some cardio and/or lift.

I don't like to let the soreness "sit".
  • sarahmakeskinny
    Options
    I actually have a foam roller but even when I'm not sore it's torture lol. I might have to bust it out and just bear it.... I've been doing some stretching.... but rolling is probably more effective.

Thanks!