Trying to quit smoking

124»

Replies

• CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Cold turkey and will power are the only options outside of expensive patches and gum. I found that when I tried using an ecig as a supplement for smoking, I would actually use the ecig more often than I would actually smoke, and it's no where close to the same, and in my experience, made me crave cigarettes more.
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    I was a smoker for about 35 years... Started when I was 15... I didnt want to quit because I enjoyed the relaxation I felt when I smoked... Then one day I decided I wanted to quit... It was around the time I started eating healthier... A friend suggested an E-cig... I bought a cheap one and that sucked... A few weeks later I bought Encore E-cigarettes ( http://www.buyencore.com/ )... I first chose to stop smoking and only have the E-cig at work... I started with the 6mg. tips... I found I was getting anxious, wanting more when I used it, but I would use breathing exercises to calm myself... I eventually started using it at home and cutting back more on the cigarettes I smoked till I was not smoking anymore... Eventually I found myself using the E-cig less and less till one day I realized it was sitting there and I hadnt used it in weeks... I packed it up and it has been sitting in my nightstand for 10 months now... Everyone is different and everyone needs to find the way that works for them... It is definitely 90% psychological and if you can make up your mind to quit, it will happen... Good luck to those who are trying!
  • sam48126
    sam48126 Posts: 21
    Just bought, wish me luck.

2d1l85i.jpg
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Just bought, wish me luck.

2d1l85i.jpg

GL. One thing... Don't use citrus or cinnamon flavored liquids in it. It's plastic and those will crack your tank. You need glass / Pyrex for those types of juices.
  • sam48126
    what about menthol, that"s all i like.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Should be fine with menthol. I never cracked one with that.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    I apologize if this sounds preachy, and I realize it is a long post, and I am not trying to offend anyone, or say people are wrong. My message for those of you who don't want/have time to read the ramblings of a passionate, happy non (ex) smoker: There is an easy way that is free (go to your library!), and has a 96% + success rate. Nothing to buy, it will take you a day or two. Imagine - in a day or two you could be a HAPPY NON-SMOKER. yes, you. EVERY smoker. ANY smoker. It WILL work for you. Try it!

Don't take my word for it - listen to Ellen!

....... and that's where I stopped reading.
  • sam48126
    Should be fine with menthol. I never cracked one with that.

thanks for the info bro
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member

I use e-cigs and love them. I say go for it - I know 3 friends who have experienced smoking cessation of actual cigarettes by vaping on a regular basis! They have menthol flavoring!!

What a horrible article. 1-As far as I know, there is no diethylene glycol in antifreeze, but there *is* ethylene glycol, which is an entirely different chemical compound. 2-Kids cannot buy them. They are tobacco products. At least here in CA, nobody would sell them unless they wanted to be fined. 3- What, adults don't like fun flavors? Stupid. 4- Yes, who cares? 5- same as #4. 6- Not true, there are plenty of laws against vaping in public. 7- They can. I know people who have quit by vaping. 8- Neither is marijuana, what's your point? 9- Tobacco isn't the devil. *Too much* tobacco is. Quit spreading propaganda.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    I recently celebrated six months cigarette free! I tried many times before and just kept failing. I was 100% ready this time. The day after I quit, I bough a disposable ecig and "smoked" those for the first few weeks. After that I didn't crave anything. Now, I just an ecig if I know I'm going to be around smokers a lot like a party or something. Even then I usually don't even bother with it. You can do it!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    I apologize if this sounds preachy, and I realize it is a long post, and I am not trying to offend anyone, or say people are wrong. My message for those of you who don't want/have time to read the ramblings of a passionate, happy non (ex) smoker: There is an easy way that is free (go to your library!), and has a 96% + success rate. Nothing to buy, it will take you a day or two. Imagine - in a day or two you could be a HAPPY NON-SMOKER. yes, you. EVERY smoker. ANY smoker. It WILL work for you. Try it!

LOL :smokin:
  • jaxbeck

I use e-cigs and love them. I say go for it - I know 3 friends who have experienced smoking cessation of actual cigarettes by vaping on a regular basis! They have menthol flavoring!!

What a horrible article. 1-As far as I know, there is no diethylene glycol in antifreeze, but there *is* ethylene glycol, which is an entirely different chemical compound. 2-Kids cannot buy them. They are tobacco products. At least here in CA, nobody would sell them unless they wanted to be fined. 3- What, adults don't like fun flavors? Stupid. 4- Yes, who cares? 5- same as #4. 6- Not true, there are plenty of laws against vaping in public. 7- They can. I know people who have quit by vaping. 8- Neither is marijuana, what's your point? 9- Tobacco isn't the devil. *Too much* tobacco is. Quit spreading propaganda.

Yep. Just propaganda
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member

I read Allen Carr's book. I liked the book, but it didn't work for me. You definitely have to have the right mind set for his method. And at least in my case, the mind set quickly started unraveling. Carr would say it didn't work for me because I quit following his method, but it was the other way around: I quit following his method because it didn't work for me.

I still think all smokers ought to read the book though. You never know if it'll work for you until you give it a try.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Try weening yourself off, can be a lot easier and less stressful that cold turkey. I used to smoke a pack of Blacks every day for the past 2 years. Main reason I quit was I realized how much money I was, quite literally, burning up.

I started out by cutting it down to 4 cigars per day. A week later, only 3. After a month, just one a day after lunch. Then I got myself to only do it only once on a week, like on Friday or Saturday night if I went out.

Now I rarely smoke, maybe once or twice a month. I figure with all the stuff in the air nowadays, its not really doing much at 1-2 times a month, and it keeps the craving from getting out of control and causing a relapse. I hope someday I will just lose interest all together.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    I quit smoking using Wellbutrin.

After about a week of Wellbutrin, I got halfway through a cigarette and realized I didn't want it. At all. I developed a total aversion to it within 3 weeks.

That was about 2 years ago, and I haven't smoked since.
  • jaxbeck
    I quit smoking using Wellbutrin.

After about a week of Wellbutrin, I got halfway through a cigarette and realized I didn't want it. At all. I developed a total aversion to it within 3 weeks.

That was about 2 years ago, and I haven't smoked since.

I also used Wellbutrin. It really works!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    I tried a lot of different methoids in 40 years of smoking. I Quit last July by going Cold Turkey. First 2 weeks were the worst and it's gotten progressively easier since. I found in the past with any Nicotine based aid (which would include the ecigs many use) I wasn't really quitting the addiction so I just ended up back on the smokes eventually. I also have serious doubts about eCigs being the "healthy" alternative given the people making the claims are generally the same bunch who told us Cigarettes didn't cause cancer as well.
    I just decided to quit and stopped buying cigarettes, for the first few days i had a non nicotine ecig (only ever bought the single disposable one) I drank a lot of water, every time I had a craving i would drink a glass of water, I chewed a ton of gum, sucked on a load of mints but eventually i was by it. I didn't go out drinking for the first 2-3 weeks but even when I did later it wasn't a big issue since you can't smoke in bars here anyway
    Really the main secret to quitting is have someone to support you (I was competing with a friend to quit- we are both still quit and there are several other friends who also smoked in the 40+ year range who quit due to our success) and from minute 1 consider yourself an ex smoker. the urges get further and further apart a couple of miserable weeks are well worth how much better you will feel
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I tried a lot of different methoids in 40 years of smoking. I Quit last July by going Cold Turkey. First 2 weeks were the worst and it's gotten progressively easier since. I found in the past with any Nicotine based aid (which would include the ecigs many use) I wasn't really quitting the addiction so I just ended up back on the smokes eventually. I also have serious doubts about eCigs being the "healthy" alternative given the people making the claims are generally the same bunch who told us Cigarettes didn't cause cancer as well.
    I just decided to quit and stopped buying cigarettes, for the first few days i had a non nicotine ecig (only ever bought the single disposable one) I drank a lot of water, every time I had a craving i would drink a glass of water, I chewed a ton of gum, sucked on a load of mints but eventually i was by it. I didn't go out drinking for the first 2-3 weeks but even when I did later it wasn't a big issue since you can't smoke in bars here anyway
    Really the main secret to quitting is have someone to support you (I was competing with a friend to quit- we are both still quit and there are several other friends who also smoked in the 40+ year range who quit due to our success) and from minute 1 consider yourself an ex smoker. the urges get further and further apart a couple of miserable weeks are well worth how much better you will feel

I agree with everything you said but the bolded part. There are no known health risks associated with e-cigs. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are healthy, but so far, the limited research has not found any problems.

The medical community has been reluctant to endorse e-cigs. But when compared to tobacco cigarettes, most will tell you to go with e-cigs.

The people who were telling us cigarettes were healthy were the big tobacco companies. Tobacco companies most definitely are NOT singing the praises of e-cigs. Although most tobacco companies are or soon will be offering e-cigs of their own, they are doing it strictly as a defensive move. E-cigs have already cut into their sales and the trend is toward even more e-cigs and fewer cigarettes being sold. Tobacco companies are casting doubts on e-cigs and pushing for vaping bans and new taxes on e-cigs. Tobacco companies hate e-cigs.