where am i going wrong?

Options
13»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's not just 1 or 2 days of eating well I have been doing it for a while just not logging it .. Probably why I'm not loosing anything because I've probably had more calories...

I am so determined to loose weight I really need to start loosing some I have an operation in August want to be fitter for then , and obviously carry it on after my op

When you're not logging, chances are you're eating much more than you think you are.

Logging is critical.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So if my BMR is 1587 calories and my TDEE is 2182 calories ... Calculated from http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Which ones do I follow the BMR or the TDEE ?

TDEE is a calculation using BMR as a base, essentially eat less than TDEE and you will lose weight. I would suggest 15-20% below which would be 1745 to 1855 cals/day, but don't eat back what you burn from exercise.
  • ambzdee94
    ambzdee94 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I will log .. So if I stick to my calories strictly and do my exercise 3 times a week I will see results ?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I will log .. So if I stick to my calories strictly and do my exercise 3 times a week I will see results ?

Yes, assuming you log accurately and your calorie goal is appropriate (seems that it is).

Controlling calorie intake is crucial. Exercise is important. Don't tie them together. A lot of people fall off the logging when they skip a workout or two. Don't do that. Continue to hit the calorie goal every day no matter what.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am planning on doing some swimming also, find things hard to juggle as I work 9-5 at a desk all day which is draining.

I have a desk job that I work every single day from 8-4. I also go to school full-time including during the summer, and I still have time to workout everyday for at least an hour. It's possible. Most days I wake up at 4:30am and don't go to bed until 11 or 12. If you want it bad enough, you will prioritize it.
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yup feel free! You'll see the most useful stuff between January - June last year..happy to provide more ideas and input!
  • ambzdee94
    Options
    Right so should I stick with what MFP says 1470 or should I go with TDEE
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Right so should I stick with what MFP says 1470 or should I go with TDEE

If you do MFP eat 1470 plus what you burn from exercise or just go with the TDEE - 20%... it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other:
    As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" or TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Right I'll open my diary you'll find I havnt logged properly lately & if I have it's been rubbish.. I need to restart everything...

I've set MFP to lose 1lb a week which has gave me goal calories of 1470calories ... So do I eat my 1470calories then if I burn 600 calories I eat some back?

Yes - if you use the MFP # eat 1470 and if you exercise then eat back SOME of those calories burned.

If you use TDEE # then you subtract 20% and that is what you eat every day - do not add more calories for exercise because they are already added in.
  • ambzdee94
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone will do a week and let you know how I get on and see of things need tweeking ..Thanks for helping me I know I've been a pain but you've gotta start somewhere right? Haha
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options
    Also, in case you didn't know - you can set custom goals for MFP - from the main page click on goals (top left side of screen) then click on change goals - then custom manually set - then enter your calorie goal

If you decide to use the TDEE number you'll want to do this. Then when you add your exercise in for the day change the calories burned to 1 so MFP doesn't change your calorie goal for the day.

I think if you stick to the exercise you plan on and the calorie goal you'll do great! Be sure your log correctly. Here is a great thread about that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    It is extremely important to log your food correctly.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone will do a week and let you know how I get on and see of things need tweeking ..Thanks for helping me I know I've been a pain but you've gotta start somewhere right? Haha

You've been great.

Give it 2-3 weeks before you make any changes to the plan. Your body takes its own sweet time to get used to changes. Be patient, this isn't a race.