What helps you to get a sufficient amount of water???

Options
KylaDenay
KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
I am struggling so much with my water intake. The bad thing about me is I only drink when I am thirsty and I am never thirsty unless I am working out. I drink my coffee in the morning, have a few sips of water and then I can drink a glass or 2 or wine at night no problem. I keep a 32 oz bottle with me at work so I can drink it twice to get the 64 oz water minimum, but it rarely happens. Don't get me wrong, I love water, I just do not like drinking it when I am not thirsty.

Is there anything that you do that helps you drink more water? Tips or secrets to making sure that you are getting the right amount? Especially for those people who do not like water, or do you just force it? Maybe I just do not want it cause it is plain. IDK....

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Just gulp a glass every other hour. It only takes 5 seconds.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    When I go to eat I order an ice water, largest size they can give me. And try to drink 3-4 glasses of that. The glasses tend to range anywhere from 1 - 2.5 servings of water
  • ashhatch09
    ashhatch09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle with a straw... I find that I drink more with a straw than just drinking from a cup...
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I drink a glass right when I wake up, before my shower & coffee, I can drink more throughout the day. I have no idea why this works for me, but it does. If I skip that first glass, I usually fail at getting the rest done.

I also have an infuser water bottle so I can soak fruit or cucumbers in my water. That little extra flavor kick helped a lot when I first started drinking water on a regular basis.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Water flavor/enhancers. Like Mio or Crystal Light.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I carry a water bottle with me wherever I go. Meetings, baseball games, outside when I garden, inside when I'm cleaning. It reminds me when I need to hydrate and is there for me when I'm bored (meetings). Whenever I have the urge to snack, I drink some water. Having it with me helps immensely. :) Sounds like you've already got the water bottle - just carry it. And every time you eat something, drink at least 8 ounces of that water before you take your first bite.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a little squeeze bottle of flavoring at work and now and again I have a glass of water with the artificial flavoring.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Few options: the "gulp" option really works- and then you're done. The other one is to use lemon or cucumber in it-makes it taste better for some people. Another option is to add Mio or crystal light to it until you get used to drinking it, then slowly start cutting it back until you're drinking plain water.
  • Alyssa100513
    Alyssa100513 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I really like Crystal Light in the morning to get my water intake going. I drink normally r45 oz when I am working out because I know that is when I am going to want it the most. And I tell myself that I can eat a meal AFTER I have had 2 glasses of water. It helps me stay on top of it. :)
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a heater at my desk at work. I keep it on all day, which makes me hot and thirsty. Then, I am able to down a gallon of water in a few hours!
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cute water bottles.

Having a really cute water bottle makes me wanna drink from it more and take it everywhere. :)

I'm not a big fan of water so I gotta do whatever I can lol.

Also Crystal Light. I'm loving the Raspberry Green Tea flavor right now.
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't stand water myself but got to liking a flavour thingy called MIO you can buy it at walmart and I love my water now
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle with a straw... I find that I drink more with a straw than just drinking from a cup...

i like water so i usually do not have a problem getting it in but i do know that i drink it better when it has ice.. i also do infused water such as cucumber, mint, orange, ginger... they are pretty good
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i keep a one liter cool gear bottle with me at all times. sometimes just having it around makes you take sips; and sometimes a sip is all you need to realize you could really stand to drink something.

good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I can't stand water myself but got to liking a flavour thingy called MIO you can buy it at walmart and I love my water now

Yeah I have that one and a generic kroger brand that is basically the same thing that I use. Just a tiny squeeze bottle of flavoring.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    AHHHHH okay I honestly thought if I add enhancers or those bottles of mio or crystal light that it would no longer be counted as water intake. I kinda think of that as adding powder ice tea or coolaid to water! Water is water right?!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper (trainer from Biggest Loser) explains this in his book, Skinny Rules (highly recommend!). It helps to kick start our bodies. Its like a shower for the inside of us. It helps kick start your metabolism, according to Harper. I purchase the smartwater by Glaceau because it holds 4 cups of water. (I wash and reuse to be more green.) Once I'm done with the water in the bottle, I fill it up with room temp water, maybe a little cooler. I find that I can chug 2 cups easy when its not cold. Whenever I notice I'm bored or hungry, I'll check to see if I have water left. Often, its empty, and its been empty for a while! I try to do this once in the morning, once while I workout during lunch, and another in the afternoon. Even if I dont have any more water the rest of the day, I've gotten 12 cups in. I also make sure to have a full glass of water right before I sit down to dinner, another glass during dinner, and MAYBE a glass after. One before bed, and I'm up to 16 cups. If you tie it to an activity, it helps.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    get in a habit of taking a drink each time I enter my office at work, and the first thing in the AM I have two big glasses to start the day.
    After awhile it just becomes commonplace and routine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have some water with me at all times, and I just drink a couple sips every 5 minutes or something. I don't even think about it anymore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I am struggling so much with my water intake. The bad thing about me is I only drink when I am thirsty and I am never thirsty unless I am working out. I drink my coffee in the morning, have a few sips of water and then I can drink a glass or 2 or wine at night no problem. I keep a 32 oz bottle with me at work so I can drink it twice to get the 64 oz water minimum, but it rarely happens. Don't get me wrong, I love water, I just do not like drinking it when I am not thirsty.

Is there anything that you do that helps you drink more water? Tips or secrets to making sure that you are getting the right amount? Especially for those people who do not like water, or do you just force it? Maybe I just do not want it cause it is plain. IDK....
    I leave a 16 oz cup on the counter by the sink (I have filtered water) and every time I wander near the sink, I'll drink some amount of water. And I'm in the damn kitchen all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition