Can NOT stay within calories

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Uh, not to sound stupid, but if you weight 143 lbs and are 5' 9" tall why the hell do you want to lose weight? I'm 5' 9" tall, 145 lbs and athletic. People comment on how thin I am. I'm actually muscular, lanky and about 20-30lbs heavier than they think I am. I suggest you rethink weight loss and give some real thought to recomp/weight lifting to shrink down your waist (or whatever parts you're thinking to shrink). My measurements are 36D, 26.5 35. You can have a small waist, keep your bust, and not starve yourself skinny!

I am thin and get told constantly that I need to just eat a cheeseburger. I don't necessarily want to lose weight. The advice I've been reading on here says I can't get rid of the " baby belly" and saddlebags unless I lose weight. Is this not true? I'm hoping to start lifting heavy weights within the next few weeks to build muscle. Will this get rid of the belly? Your measurements are what I aspire to! I am 36D, 29, 38. This is why I thought I had to lose weight.

If you are happy with your weight but want to tighten up then I definitely recommend heavily lifting and eating at a very slight deficit. You likely don't need to "lose weight'.
  • 503pdx
    503pdx Posts: 31
    Options
    Edamame is a great source of protein! They sell 12 individually packed bags within an outer bag at Costco. You can throw them in the microwave to steam them or I prefer to eat them frozen. They are very high in protein and very filling.

I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein in my breakfast smoothies. It is a great way to get 30g protein and helps keep me full all morning. I usually throw 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1/2 cup milk and a scoop of protein powder into my Magic Bullet in the mornings. It is quick and easy and helps get me out the door with a filling breakfast.

I would also suggest weight training. You want to focus more on body composition rather than weight. Your scale might not go down as you build muscle and tone but you will notice inches, your clothes fitting differently and you will feel stronger.

good luck!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I am thin and get told constantly that I need to just eat a cheeseburger. I don't necessarily want to lose weight. The advice I've been reading on here says I can't get rid of the " baby belly" and saddlebags unless I lose weight. Is this not true? I'm hoping to start lifting heavy weights within the next few weeks to build muscle. Will this get rid of the belly? Your measurements are what I aspire to! I am 36D, 29, 38. This is why I thought I had to lose weight.

You're right on track now. I'm 44, have had 2 TEN pound babies, and have a totally flat stomach from exericise! Heavy weights and cardio are a good way to achieve this! Look up threads on "recomp". If I didn't have to maintain a lower weight for weight class (competitive kick boxing) I would put on more muscle weight and toss my scale. You'll improve your (already pretty darn good) figure without becoming a stick!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Uh, not to sound stupid, but if you weight 143 lbs and are 5' 9" tall why the hell do you want to lose weight? I'm 5' 9" tall, 145 lbs and athletic. People comment on how thin I am. I'm actually muscular, lanky and about 20-30lbs heavier than they think I am. I suggest you rethink weight loss and give some real thought to recomp/weight lifting to shrink down your waist (or whatever parts you're thinking to shrink). My measurements are 36D, 26.5 35. You can have a small waist, keep your bust, and not starve yourself skinny!

If you are happy with your weight but want to tighten up then I definitely recommend heavily lifting and eating at a very slight deficit. You likely don't need to "lose weight'.

Yeah this sounds like a body recomp issue more than a weight loss issue. Very slight deficit (or even try maintenance), fair bit of protein, and lifting heavy things might be in order.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    Is protein powder healthy? Safe? Having never done any research on it I guess I had always assumed it was a " fitness gimmick." Is this not the case?

Not all protein powders have the same combination of fats/carbs/protein. I like ON gold standard Whey.

In general, though, protein powder is just protein. It's food, and nothing else. It doesn't have any magical fitness or weight loss powers. It's just a way for people to get protein in a slightly more convenient form. I could eat 8 ounces of chicken breast, but sometimes I don't want to deal with it, and I'd rather have a chocolate protein shake.

Mmmmm chocolate protein shake! You had me at chocolate! I think the "magic" is why I have never looked into it lol

My latest addiction has been the Quest Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough protein bars (10 seconds in the microwave). They're not particularly inexpensive as sources of protein go, but I tend to get very little fiber in my diet generally without supplementation. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the combination of taste, protein, and convenience.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Is protein powder healthy? Safe? Having never done any research on it I guess I had always assumed it was a " fitness gimmick." Is this not the case?

Not all protein powders have the same combination of fats/carbs/protein. I like ON gold standard Whey.

In general, though, protein powder is just protein. It's food, and nothing else. It doesn't have any magical fitness or weight loss powers. It's just a way for people to get protein in a slightly more convenient form. I could eat 8 ounces of chicken breast, but sometimes I don't want to deal with it, and I'd rather have a chocolate protein shake.

Mmmmm chocolate protein shake! You had me at chocolate! I think the "magic" is why I have never looked into it lol

My latest addiction has been the Quest Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough protein bars (10 seconds in the microwave). They're not particularly inexpensive as sources of protein go, but I tend to get very little fiber in my diet generally without supplementation. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the combination of taste, protein, and convenience.

You, sir, are a genius.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I also find that they are one of the few things I can eat before working out that don't bother me. I used to go from working a 12 hour shift to the gym or my running group and found these were a super easy way to have a snack that will keep me from starving until I am done and able to eat supper, but not fill me up too much that I can't do the workout. And they help hit protein macro.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Protein powder is not monitored or regulated by the FDA. Most of the time that there is a recall, it's because a supplement user reported it, not because it was tested and failed. I would not personally use it. A lot of people do use it. Use your own judgment.

I find myself very full when I consume protein in food form. I'm a vegetarian, so I get a lot of protein from lentils (lentil soup poured over veggies), black bean burgers (crumbled in a salad, mixed with salsa and greek yoghurt guac), and cheese (in.. everything).
  • dcastdal
    dcastdal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to offer a suggestion for protein.
    I am in love with these ThinBars, they're 230-240 calories and contain 20 grams of protein per bar, they are a little hard to find, but so delicious and so worth it!

http://thinkproducts.com/
    (On top of being low calorie, and high protein they are also gluten free, an zero sugar!)
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If you have to drink coke don't drink diet to save calories. Both my Dr and my nutritionist have told me to cut it out and they prefer regular to diet and I am pre-diabetic. They said recent studies show no weight loss advantages from it and there is even some evidence it increases your appetite. I have all but cut it out entirely and I used to drink a lot of it.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

^This.

You may actually gain weight, but measure less and look better. Don't be afraid.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    If you have to drink coke don't drink diet to save calories. Both my Dr and my nutritionist have told me to cut it out and they prefer regular to diet and I am pre-diabetic. They said recent studies show no weight loss advantages from it and there is even some evidence it increases your appetite. I have all but cut it out entirely and I used to drink a lot of it.

The effects of 0-calorie sweeteners on satiety are so personal that everyone should really decide for themselves what works for them. I wouldn't necessarily tell someone they shouldn't have diet coke just because some people find that it increases their appetite; unless that person is doing my eating for me, I don't think it much matters.

Obviously if you cut out calories from cola, and all other factors are equal, then there's an effect on weight loss.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Also, If you are one who eats packaged food, Hormel REV wraps have 16 grams of protein in them. When I am busy at work I can get them at Walgreens for lunch I get 2, the pepperoni or Italian ones, and they 290/300 calories a piece. 16 grams of protein but a little high in sodium. Still , it's a miracle for me to get 32 grams of protein with a fast lunch from a convenience store.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    fyi, the PVL Sport Whey that I use is sweetened with stevia and I think agave. I find that to be a plus, b/c I try to stay away from totally artificial sweeteners. You might want to look into it. FYI, whey is something that is in cheese and yogurt, so it is a food product, not just a totally chemical concoction. Also, regular whey (not isolate) has been found to help fight against illness (colds). I have found this to be TOTALLY true. When i ran out over New year's, I got sick. Later in the year, my daughter got sick and my son and I were getting sore throats, so I started to distribute whey milkshakes (in lower proportion for kids) and vit C to all of us and DD got better and DS & I dodged the bullet.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I did smoothies with protein powder before a and am going to start again. I like them for breakfast with fruit and almond/coconut milk or after going to the gym. Really quick and easy. My nutritionist recommended finding one that was mainly whey isolate.
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I also find that they are one of the few things I can eat before working out that don't bother me. I used to go from working a 12 hour shift to the gym or my running group and found these were a super easy way to have a snack that will keep me from starving until I am done and able to eat supper, but not fill me up too much that I can't do the workout. And they help hit protein macro.

^^^YES! I am obsessed with these. Great snack. High on protein, fiber...low on fat and calories. And like the above poster (quoted) they don't make me feel sick if I eat one before a workout. I keep them everywhere...my car, purse, work, lol!

Edited to add: I also love them for post workout! Or any time I need a snack that will fill me up, satisfy cravings and keep me from eating junk! I ate one at my son's baseball game last night while working the concession stand to keep me from wanting fries, nachos and a Snickers!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If its already been said, my apologies.

Protein intake is incredibly important, it also keeps me personally from being more hungry.

I'd set a goal of having 40% of your diet protein, even if that requires protein shakes, and since your so active make sure you eat back what you are burning from exercise.

The final 10 lbs are always the hardest to shed, but the most rewarding! :D
  • tbrule
    tbrule Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat back all my calories and i've had consistent weight loss. Wearing a heart rate monitor helps to know how much you can eat back. I eat high amount and burn high amounts. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Protein powder is not monitored or regulated by the FDA. Most of the time that there is a recall, it's because a supplement user reported it, not because it was tested and failed. I would not personally use it. A lot of people do use it. Use your own judgment.

I find myself very full when I consume protein in food form. I'm a vegetarian, so I get a lot of protein from lentils (lentil soup poured over veggies), black bean burgers (crumbled in a salad, mixed with salsa and greek yoghurt guac), and cheese (in.. everything).

Not tested by the FDA is all the more reason to use it, IMO. The FDA tell lies about safety and efficacy.
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    Your diary says you ate 1000 calories at dinner and near 1000 calories in snacks a day ago. You could knock off about 400 of those calories by dropping the coke (switch to diet if you like).

Ha! Yes! The coke was from a rare night of having drinks with friends. I've not convinced myself yet that the dangers of artificial sweeteners is worth saving the calories. It's not a regular thing so I guess it wouldn't hurt to switch.

You should consider cutting out sodas all together. I drank diet sodas fairly regularly and as soon as I quit, I dropped 5 pounds!