Leg Press or Body Weight Squats

Options
I have a membership at Planet Fitness. They do not have free weights. The have the preloaded weight bars that go up to 60lbs. I cannot lift that much weight over my head so I've been doing body weight squats for the most part. I just recently started using the Leg Press machine. With the limits of my gym, do you think this is a good subsitute for squats?

I lift weights 3 days/week for strength training. I normally do the following routine.
4 Rounds
-5 Pushups
-5 Deadlifts
-5 Bent Over Row
-30 bodyweight squats

-5 Overhead Press (3 sets)
-5 Leg Press Machine (3 sets)
-30 back extensions
-20 assistanced pull-ups
-5 T Bar Row (3 sets)
-5 Lat Pull Down (3 sets)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    actually
    1.) there is no "good" substitute for a squat. There are things to help as far as accesories and will get the job done- but none of the following will be as good as just doing a squat.

2.) learn how to clean/press a weight

3.) Front squats

4.) learn how to do a goblet squat

5.) learn how to do a bulgarian split squats

6.) go to a new gym.
  • FrankDavis86
    FrankDavis86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    actually
    1.) there is no "good" substitute for a squat. There are things to help as far as accesories and will get the job done- but none of the following will be as good as just doing a squat.

I agree 100%. These new gyms are concentrating on having techie and modern machines... The old school way with free weights is so much more effective - squats for example.

I would suggest changing to another gym that has free weights. WIth free weights there are so many muscles that are engaged on each movement. Machines won't give you that.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing to another gym that has free weights. WIth free weights there are so many muscles that are engaged on each movement. Machines won't give you that.

Awesome idea IF it's affordable for the OP and/or there is a different gym in the area.

OP: there isn't anything wrong with the leg press machine. I cycle it in on my leg days but I do single leg presses which really targets the quad and your butt.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    how are you doing the deadlifts?

if you want to go very heavy, then i think the leg press is probably your best option... especially if there is no smith machine.

personally i much perfer the plate loaded leg sleds to the pin/cable variety but i suppose thats more of personal preference

you could do goblet squats or otherwise make use of the dumbbells to squat.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Back squats are the worst thing you can ever do!

Ok that should wake most people up. No I dont mean that, but in real life at no point will you ever need to perfectly balance a bar on your back and squat it down then back up. Picking up a dead weight off the floor that is in front of you people do all the time. There is nothing magic about the back squat and in real life it doesn't come in handy at all. I think people being such squat fanatics are doing more harm then good, gym owners would rather remove the racks then have to deal with the crazy power lifters. Unless you have goals to join an NFL team leg press will do just fine.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Barbell squats are one of the best movements you can do - but they're not the only source of gains. If it doesn't bother your knees (like it does mine), there's always the Smith machine. In addition to or instead of the Smith machine, I'd just go heavy on leg press and supplement that with some dumbbell/goblet squats, then hit the isolation machines. Would it be more optimal from a gains perspective to change gyms and focus on barbell squats? Very likely so. But you can still make good progress without them.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Ok that should wake most people up. No I dont mean that, but in real life at no point will you ever need to perfectly balance a bar on your back and squat it down then back up. Picking up a dead weight off the floor that is in front of you people do all the time. There is nothing magic about the back squat and in real life it doesn't come in handy at all. I think people being such squat fanatics are doing more harm then good, gym owners would rather remove the racks then have to deal with the crazy power lifters. Unless you have goals to join an NFL team leg press will do just fine.

So, you don't think a squat is a nice full body compound movement beneficial to muscle gains and/or strength gains?

Leg press may do "just fine" but it's not a compound lift.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

So, you don't think a squat is a nice full body compound movement beneficial to muscle gains and/or strength gains?

Leg press may do "just fine" but it's not a compound lift.

why not? you use your butt and quads. hips and knee joint. doesn't involve your core to the extent that squats do but its still a compound lift
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL wut?
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are I think. Any number or reps or intensity of barbell squats would not really help me in improving my Utkatasana posture, though the benefits are similar.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Oh lawd...............
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

i wouldn't say they are the worst thing you can ever do, but many seem to want to sell the myth that anyother type of leg lift is a complete waste of time.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has free weights and lots of them
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    what planet are you from lol
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    how are you doing the deadlifts?

you could do goblet squats or otherwise make use of the dumbbells to squat.
    Thats what I was thinking.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

Can you think of another lifting exercise that works as many muscle groups as the squat? Do you feel its a coincidence that its considered a foundation exercise for building stength/muscle?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Can you think of another lifting exercise that works as many muscle groups as the squat? Do you feel its a coincidence that its considered a foundation exercise for building stength/muscle?

the clean and press works same and then some
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No free weights?! What is this place?

Can you revoke your membership?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

hahah good one! ... that was a joke right?
  • rogerOb1
    Options

the clean and press works same and then some

Lol, theres a reason why I asked a 2 part question. Youre never going to clean and press with the same kind of weight that you back squat with.

Edit. Hey, doesnt the "and" make them two different exercises?