Leg Press or Body Weight Squats

Options
2»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    lol, well i was only answering the first one then :)
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    2.) learn how to clean/press a weight
    4.) learn how to do a goblet squat
    5.) learn how to do a bulgarian split squats

I'm not sure what these are but I will look them up tonight.

I deadlift & bent over row using the 60lb weight bar. I started off at 40lbs now I'm at 60lbs. I won't be able to go any higher than this at my current gym.
    I tried the Smith Machine when I first started at this gym and injured my back/side really bad so I'm afraid to back to using the Smith machine.

My membership ends in September so I plan to switch gyms at that time.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Weight machines do not engage the muscles the same way free weights do - free weights build your stabilizer muscles. For example, when you're doing a barbell back squat you're not only squatting with the weight and pushing it back up, your body is also working to keep the bar stable on your back, which builds stabilizer muscles - whereas the smith machine keeps the bar steady and doesn't help you build stabilizer muscles. Weight machines can help you focus on a target muscle but yeah, they're not the same thing.

Sorry to hear about your injury, but that can happen with any exercise. Make sure you know proper form.
    I would definitely switch gyms so you can keep at your program and keep at the gains :smile:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Squats and Leg press are not the same.. You will find squats put more tension on your glutes and lower back, where's Leg Press places less tension on glutes and little to none on your lower back.

Depending on foot placement on the leg press, you can target almost any muscle in your leg... With squats, it's not that simple because it would effect your form, which could put bad strain on your body and cause an injury..
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    clean and press is a lift that takes the barbell from the floor to shoulder level and then you do a shoulder press.

google it for good form.

if 60 lbs is a challenging dead lift then 40 probably would be somewhat challenging for squats. you could ask someone to set it on your shoulders an spot you if you wanted to squat.

but i'm imagining and e-z curl type bar that might not be very comfortable on your back
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can clean a weight to the front racked position for front squats too.

It's a good thing to know how to do.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You will deadlift more then you can squat and that will use more muscles too. Walking lunges use more muscle and they can be used in real life too. The fact is you dont need to squat, and by selling this myth people are doing more harm then good. I cant tell you how many people get turned off by the whole squat or go home mindset because they will just go home and not workout at all. So god bless the leg press and every one who uses them, because they are already doing so much more then 95% of the people out there.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    you said it was a bad lift?

I'm still confused as to how it's a bad lift.

I'm also confused at this mentality
    "people don't like it so it makes it a myth and something we shouldn't perpetuate it because it turns people off from lifting" is worth paying mind to.

seriously- it's a fundamental exercise to know how to squat- ever take a dump? well there you go- you need to know how to squat properly.

secondly- who cares if they decided it's "too much" that's not my problem- it frees up the squat rack for me.

Just because they don't like it doesn't mean you should write it off.

So does doing pull ups- guess I should stop doing those because it scares girls at the gym. Suck it up butter cup and do what you need to do.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I said I didnt mean it. I squat all the time but its not the end all and be all and can be replaced easy enough and get the same or better results.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    seriously- it's a fundamental exercise to know how to squat- ever take a dump? well there you go- you need to know how to squat properly.

Not with 300 pounds on my shoulders. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    Options

Not with 300 pounds on my shoulders. :wink:

that's just bonus points for bad-assery- the form is still the same ;)
    I said I didnt mean it. I squat all the time but its not the end all and be all and can be replaced easy enough and get the same or better results.

it is NOT the be all end all- but to write it off completely is wrong.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    that's just bonus points for bad-assery- the form is still the same ;)
    :laugh: