How often on the weigh scale?

Options
Hi everyone. How often do you recommend going on the weigh scale? Also I need freinds and to visit the forum more often. Encouragement and motivation is good :) could you add me please.
Sharon

Replies

• WittLace
    WittLace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some say its bad to weigh more than once a week, others weigh everyday. Its all about what works for you. I weigh everyday. Works for me and helps keeps me motivated! :)
  • rachaelgoslan
    Options
    Every Sunday morning I hop on !! If I make my weight goal I place money into a money box, just a small amount. This money is going towards some new clothes lol :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some say its bad to weigh more than once a week, others weigh everyday. Its all about what works for you. I weigh everyday. Works for me and helps keeps me motivated! :)

This!^

You have to understand (and accept) that weight fluctuates. If daily fluctuation would drive you crazy, then do NOT weigh every day. Weight loss won't be linear. There will be times when you "should" have lost weight.....but the scale doesn't reflect it.

If you are anywhere near goal, a tape measure is also a good indicator of progress.
  • LauerTrevino
    LauerTrevino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many would recommend just once a week, but I think it depends on the individual. Me personally, I check it every morning 1st thing. It just works better for me and helps me stay on track. The key thing about weighing daily is not to get discouraged if it goes up. I find that if I am taking care of things, it will come back down again.
  • Stonekerry
    Stonekerry Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request - living in Cardiff, Wales. I weigh a few times a week just to make sure I am on track - but only log it on a Saturday.
  • SunnysGlimpse
    Options
    Many would recommend just once a week, but I think it depends on the individual. Me personally, I check it every morning 1st thing. It just works better for me and helps me stay on track. The key thing about weighing daily is not to get discouraged if it goes up. I find that if I am taking care of things, it will come back down again.

I personally agree completely with this. I check my weight every morning as it's completely a consistent time and not after eating, drinking, working out, etc. If you are following your calorie program/reductions correctly, you will see it slowly drop week after week. Don't get panicky if it is up 1.5 pounds on one day and don't celebrate if it is down 1lb the next. It will fluctuate but after you measure it consistently, first thing every morning, you get an average and a real good idea of what your weight is and how it is progressing.
  • nlshar
    nlshar Posts: 5
    Options
    Great reward! Great motivation :)
  • nlshar
    nlshar Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm welsh, I went to high school in Cardiff. I live in the Netherlands now. I tend to get scared of going back on the scales when I have days eating too much. I know I should make myself do it when I have a bad day.......bit like a kick up the butt!, :)
  • Ronni66
    Ronni66 Posts: 43
    Options
    I check my weight every morning right after I go to the bathroom and before i eat or drink anything. I wear a light nightgown and then check my weight. I understand that a half to a pound can be normal fluctuation and for those that still have their periods, I suggest not weighing at all during that time because water weight/bloating will make you nuts! :tongue:
  • susanevenden
    Options
    For the most part, I weigh in every morning. I have since I was 13 and I am now 53. I currently weigh the same as I did at 16 although I am much more fit and firm now. I have never been more than 12 lbs heavier than my my current weight. (except when pregnant).

I find that weighing daily helps me to decide if I am going to have that chocolate bar or not. I can do a lot of junk eating in a week and it's hard to lose a weeks worth of beer, cookies and other favourites.

It has worked for me.
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh in that regularly. I usually wait 3 or 4 weeks, but sometimes it'll be weekly. I fluctuate a lot and I'm losing weight at less than a pound a week, so I try to give it a bit of extra time to make sure that I'll see a difference - it keeps me more motivated when I see my weight has moved again. :) When I was a lot younger I was obsessive about the scale and checked it daily or more, and I feel much better and more relaxed leaving it for longer. In that time I often notice gradual changes in how my clothes fit or how I look in the mirror. I really recommend taking photographs or measurements, and updating those every now and then as well - they often show amazing changes that the scales don't reflect. :)
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just bought a scale last year and have switched from weekly to daily weigh ins in the last two months. (After reading a NYTimes article citing a study about the effectiveness of daily weigh ins.) When I was a thin runner (oh so many years ago) I used to use a measuring tape to keep tabs on my size because I didn't want to be a slave to the scale. Even though I weigh myself every morning I feel okay about the 1-2 pound fluctuations because the general trend has been downward. And though I weigh myself daily I don't feel like my emotional state is dependent on the number on the scale. Daily weigh ins also help me keep things in check and address problems quickly, where the weekly weigh ins allowed me to not think about my habits as readily. I'm not following a diet plan or counting calories, just trying to eat sensibly and exercise more, hence the need for more frequent weigh ins.
  • hollyhopes2
    hollyhopes2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, these posts have been very helpful... going to get out my measuring tape and take my measurements ... we learn everyday!!!.... I do think keeping an eye on now (after reading these posts) every morning will help the likes of me,.... who never weighed myself, out of sight out of mind (then pounds pile on)...... could do a lot of damage.. calories wise, in a week, if I don't keep focused... thanks for the tips :smile:
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Personally I don't use the scales anymore as the frustration levels were getting too much.

I measure every couple of weeks and generally just how clothes fit "feels".

Good luck whatever you decide is best for you.

Jim
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I suggest every 3-4 days for the first month or two you are cutting calories, so that you know if you are doing something wrong and can tweak your calories etc. accordingly.
    Once you have the hang of counting calories and know what works for you, you could go down to once every week or ten days, and later, when you are closer to your goal and are hence losing more slowly, once every two weeks or so.
    Just make sure you haven't OD'ed on carbs the day before you weigh yourself, and that you weigh yourself in exactly the same circumstances every time, so as to not let the water weight and glycogen stores and whatnot throw off the accuracy of the weight lost.
    Of course, this should be accompanied with a test of your body fat percentage every couple of weeks, because that is what actually counts. And it is the only way to know if you are losing too much muscle along with the fat. The scale is after all a pretty vague, albeit convenient, estimate.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    I weigh almost everyday (bad I know)
  • 2boysmamma
    2boysmamma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh every friday and sometimes on monday if I think I may have overdone it on the weekend. Just do what works for you.