New Runner: Time or distance for improvement?

Options
I want to incorporate running into my routine and I want to do it for life.

I started last week and was doing 2 miles Interval training. Usually something like 5 minute warm up, 3 minute run, 2 minute sprint, 5 minute cool down.

My legs are KILLING me this week and not in the feel good way. So I decided to try to couch to 5k program which is for the first week 5 minute warm up, 1 minute jog and 1:30 minute walk for 20 minutes.

I'm thinking after doing last week's routine I'm going to not feel like it's enough. Is it better to pick up the pace (change the jog to a run and the walk to a jog) or add on time?

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You'll find everything you need to know on that thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I started last week and was doing 2 miles Interval training. Usually something like 5 minute warm up, 3 minute run, 2 minute sprint, 5 minute cool down.

My legs are KILLING me this week and not in the feel good way. So I decided to try to couch to 5k program which is for the first week 5 minute warm up, 1 minute jog and 1:30 minute walk for 20 minutes.

I'm thinking after doing last week's routine I'm going to not feel like it's enough. Is it better to pick up the pace (change the jog to a run and the walk to a jog) or add on time?
    Both!

Some days go for distance, some days go for time.

I suggest the Couch25k program. Even if you dont intend to run a 5k it is a very good way to start our running and a good plan.

Some days I will run for time, some for distance. Some on speed.
    Depends!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

1) Run or walk, there is no jog :)
    2) Slow down. You're new and have no need for sprinting.
    3) Trust in the program. Using as intended, it is a safe and injury-minimizing method to help you run the distance.
    4) Manage your effort, not your pace. Keep your runs easy.
    5) See #2
    6) Disregard anyone who tells you to do run/sprint intervals.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

1) Run or walk, there is no jog :)
    2) Slow down. You're new and have no need for sprinting.
    3) Trust in the program. Using as intended, it is a safe and injury-minimizing method to help you run the distance.
    4) Manage your effort, not your pace. Keep your runs easy.
    5) See #2
    6) Disregard anyone who tells you to do run/sprint intervals.

7) Slow down even more.
    8) Set a goal distance. 5k, 10k, etc...
    9) Slow down
    10) Focus on time on your feet rather than speed. Time on feet could either be exactly that, time, or distance...either way it ends up being basically the same thing.
    11) The C25K program is supposed to feel easy at first. The whole point is to ease you into running 30 minutes straight at a slow pace. Speed comes later...much, much later. I cut 6 minutes off my 5K time in only a year and that was simply from just adding more and more time on my feet.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    yup! follow a plan

As a new runner you will improve fast. Mentally you will advance must faster than soft tissue will.

Following a plan is MORE to limit you than to make you do more.

slow is smooth and smooth is fast

good luck
    welcome to the running life
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I always run for time. those days i have to tell myself to slow down and pace myself better because I'm going to increase distance. yesterday i took it slow about 10:30 min/mile and was able to run 9.3 miles. I am sore and taking today off, Friday and Saturday I'm taking it easy and only run 6.2 miles. Sunday I'm running a 5K and Monday I'll run the 9.3miles again. i will try and stay there for a few weeks before attempting 12.4 miles.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I run for distance not speed (cause, well, I'm slow), and my best 5K went from 36 minutes about 8 months ago to 27:41. I don't even try to run fast on my regular runs. My typical daily runs are around 10-11 minute miles but I am now up to 25 miles per week. Considering that I am older, never ran before last year regularly, took 25 years off from running, and my first 5K ever 13 months ago was 1 hour, I would say that the increasing miles has increased my speed.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I run for distance not speed (cause, well, I'm slow), and my best 5K went from 36 minutes about 8 months ago to 27:41. I don't even try to run fast on my regular runs. My typical daily runs are around 10-11 minute miles but I am now up to 25 miles per week. Considering that I am older, never ran before last year regularly, took 25 years off from running, and my first 5K ever 13 months ago was 1 hour, I would say that the increasing miles has increased my speed.

27:41 is a fast 5K. great job.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I always run for time. those days i have to tell myself to slow down and pace myself better because I'm going to increase distance. yesterday i took it slow about 10:30 min/mile and was able to run 9.3 miles. I am sore and taking today off, Friday and Saturday I'm taking it easy and only run 6.2 miles. Sunday I'm running a 5K and Monday I'll run the 9.3miles again. i will try and stay there for a few weeks before attempting 12.4 miles.

I thought you said you don't run 5k's anymore.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Time/distance is what you want to work on first. At a slow pace. As you improve your aerobic base, the speed will come.
  • ajflkdafs
    ajflkdafs Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks so much for your time and motivation! I think "Slow down" was probably the most useful...patience is a virtue.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your time and motivation! I think "Slow down" was probably the most useful...patience is a virtue.
    I dont know about other people, but it seems like for myself and others I know there is a stagnant period of when you dont feel like ou are gettin faster or going longer and then all of a sudden BAM....you make a big stride in time/distance!

I have learned that not every run is going to be an improvment in time or distance. Just not feasible so dont fret.
    Keep at it and you will make progress.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Definitely a fan of logging long slow miles and just building base miles in general to improve performance. I've PR'd my half marathon by 11 minutes in 7 months simply by running more. I've also PR'd my 5k by 11 minutes in 11 months. I would also echo that "speed work" is a more experienced runner's workout vs when you're starting out.