What's the difference between losing weight and body fat %??

Options
This confuses me greatly. Please explain. And maybe offer advice as to how to do this.

Note: I do not go to the gym. I find it boring and I just...can't do it. I've tried so many times. I do swim, though. Used to occasionally do a lil yoga at home but that's all. I have been eating better, too. Lots of bunny food, try to mix some protein in with every meal (like chicken, if it's on sale), rarely drink pop...

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This confuses me greatly. Please explain. And maybe offer advice as to how to do this.

Note: I do not go to the gym. I find it boring and I just...can't do it. I've tried so many times. I do swim, though. Used to occasionally do a lil yoga at home but that's all. I have been eating better, too. Lots of bunny food, try to mix some protein in with every meal (like chicken, if it's on sale), rarely drink pop...

If you lose bodyfat percentage then you are losing fat. If you lose weight you might be losing fat and/or water and/or muscle and/or bone density.

Bodyfat percentage is a direct readout of the percentage of your body that is fat. If that goes down you can be confident you are losing fat. Your weight on a scale is just that, your weight on a scale....does not say how much of that weight is fat and how much is everything else. You can easily gain 3 pounds on a scale due to water retention while still dropping 2% bodyfat.

To simplify:

Change in Bodyfat % = a specific amount of fat lost
    Weight loss = ????
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your weight on a scale is just that, your weight on a scale....does not say how much of that weight is fat and how much is everything else.

Exactly. On the moon you would have a different scale weight, but the same body fat percentage. Think about that if you see your weight fluctuate by a few pounds here and there. BF% estimates (can be hard to get accurate) and body part measurements/how your clothes fit are much better indicators that you are approaching your goal. Assuming your goal is to shed pounds of fat.
  • llama_sammich
    llama_sammich Posts: 124
    Options
    Ok....how do I know what percentage of my body is fat? This is sounding less and less realistic...
  • SweetLove91
    Options
    Anyone know how I will track my calories burned while liftin weights??
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    These calcs can be off for some people, but they seem to corroborate the BF% I got from an electric current resistance scale I have that gives me a BF% read out.

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-YMCA
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

None of these are exact, just ballpark. IMO, their only real usefulness is to track a change over time. I understand there are ultra accurate scans you can get done at an appropriate facility.
  • briansyuki
    briansyuki Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage is the mass of the body that is pure fat tissues. When you lose weight you lose both fat tissues and lean tissues while the bf% can go down without losing weight, especially if you build more muscles.
    Knowing your bf% is important because it will help you determine if your fat level is healthy and track your progress in fat loss.

see comprehensive article about measuring body fat percentage: http://www.loseweightlegit.com/6-effective-ways-to-measure-body-fat-percentage-6/
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can get a scale that calculates body fat percentage.

My weight has stayed the same for the past 2 weeks, but I have lost .5% of body fat. It was nice to see that go down, since my weight was on a plateau.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

My weight has stayed the same for the past 2 weeks, but I have lost .5% of body fat. It was nice to see that go down, since my weight was on a plateau.

I really don't get this...how could one lose body fat without losing weight? body recomp is for real I know but it takes time and discipline...I am not saying you are doing it wrong since I don't know you...I am just honestly confused and curious about it...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I really don't get this...how could one lose body fat without losing weight? body recomp is for real I know but it takes time and discipline...I am not saying you are doing it wrong since I don't know you...I am just honestly confused and curious about it...

because those scale are famously inaccurate and flucuate badly due to hydration levels...I wouldn't trust them at all.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add other than youre so freaking beautiful! srs.