HAVE YOU EVER WENT OVER YOUR CALORIE GOAL?

Options

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hope this help ease the minds of people stressing over the limit.
    Your calorie goal is a range, not a line.
    You only have to eat below that line to lose around what you entered in your goal loss.
    If, for example, you have a daily calorie goal of 1500 and have set your goal loss for 2 pounds per week, then your calorie range would be between your calorie goal and your maintenance. The range would be 1500-2500, in this case.
    Note: Eating more calories can show an increase on the scale.
    Stop the negativity.
    Stop obsessing.
    Stop going hungry.
    Enjoy your life and new lifestyle.
  • chadwick175
    chadwick175 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A few times but never by a giant amount
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It happens, sometimes planned (special occasions) sometimes not. I'm in it for the long haul, so I just try to get back on track the next day.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Several times. I knew they would be higher. I ate the yummy foods and then moved on with my life. As long as I'm in a deficit for the rest of the week, I'm fine.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. I think it would be safe to say everyone does once in a while.
  • itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209
    Options
    My caloric deficit as per MFP is quite big compared to any calculations I've made using many different methods to find out my bmr and tdr. All have directed I need between 2000-2200 calories per day. Some days I'm more active than others, so I try and look at my week as a whole. I use MFP as rough guideline. If I wanted to lose the weight quickly I'd be more concerned with staying at or under my calorie goal every day, but since I'm more concerned over long term sustainability, and being happy day to day and not feeling drained or tired, I just aim for in and around my calorie goal, give or take 200-300 calories. I always exercise though, so I don't beat myself up over it. I have had 2-3 days in the last two months where I went and ate 3000 calories, but then I worked extra hard at the gym the next day and ate significantly less.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I did once.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's not the amount of calories you should worry about if you go over. It's what's in those calories you should be concerned about (sugar, bad carbs such as flour-based foods, bad fats). If you are consuming enough protein during the day, as long as it's lean protein, you will be fine.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    yup, happens. You move on.

Conversely, sometimes I am way under (1,000+ cal) on a day when I ride out lots. Still losing slowly but gradually (I don't have lots to lose, so it's reasonable right now).
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    You'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't on occasion. The trick is to call it a cheat day, and get right back on the wagon like it never happened.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Weekends usually. Holiday weekends are killers.
    I just continue my routine on Monday....no biggie.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    it happens, Log it and move on. One day and a few extra calories will not break you as long as you don't let it become a habit.
  • KatDJZ
    KatDJZ Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    At least once a week on my designated cheat day, but often more than that. I figure as long as I keep trying I'm moving in the right direction and if I'm paying any attention to what I'm eating, I'm still doing better than I was originally to get myself in this state.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's not the amount of calories you should worry about if you go over. It's what's in those calories you should be concerned about (sugar, bad carbs such as flour-based foods, bad fats). If you are consuming enough protein during the day, as long as it's lean protein, you will be fine.

Guess I'm Doooooomed! I'm over at least once a week , sometimes more. When I go over it's almost always cookies, brownies, ice cream..sometimes a combination of all 3!I was over by almost 1000 calories a few weeks ago - as you can see I totally blew it and gained back every pound I ever lost and then some :p

Doesn't matter if you're over occasionally, just log it and put it behind you. Don't let one bad day stop you from reaching your goals.
  • CraftMamaDee
    CraftMamaDee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I go over some days like today I went over about 100 calories but I got on the Ebike and had 638 calories left from burning all that and I never eat up to burnt calorie amounts usually but I will eat a bit more on those days than my normal totals I usually end up with 500-700 calories left those days.. Even if I do go over like I did last week I went over a LOT like 580 calories or around there I dont bully myself because it evens out.. Its like a budget you can balance it out over the week.. If you go over a day just make sure to budget it into other days allowances if youre really worried. :) No sense getting upset about it because its already done. Stress just makes dieting worse and doesnt change anything.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I went over by about 300 calories on Pascha and by about 4 calories earlier this week. However, on one other day this week I was under by hundreds of calories, as I often am. As long as things balance out by the end of the week and I still have a calorie deficit, I'm happy. I'm in this for the long haul and the occasional day over doesn't bother me.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My work is taking me to a fancy-schmancy frenchie restaurant tonight. I tried my hardest to input the dinner but since it isn't Applebee's, MFP is of little help. It would also help if I knew what the hell these freaky sauces and ingredients contained.

I'm guessing lots of butter and creme... cause it's French

My action plan is to excercise late at night to lessen the arterie-clogging caloric Frenchieness of it all.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been here three years, so yes. Usually it's a sudden change of plans-- like I had planned to have yogurt for lunch and then someone wants to go out to a restaurant.

Nothing happened. I just picked up the next day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This has not been my experience. At all.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Every calorie over your maintenance actually acts as 10 calories... so your 350 calorie binge = 3500, and you gain a pound.