Should I run every day?

Options
2»

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    since you are only running 2 miles a day i would say it's safe to run everyday. when you start hitting 6miles and up maybe even 3.1 miles and up I would take at least one day rest.

but of course listen to your body. if you are in pain, then by all means take recovery days.

I'm averaging 9 miles a day this week without any rest day... Does it mean I'm doing it wrong ?!?

*kitten* !

Yes.

Man. I'm doing it wrong too. I'm shooting for 2014 miles this year. That averages out to 5.5 miles/day...
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the "fluffing" is probably water related. If you want to run every day, by all means, run every day.

If you *don't,* and you're just annoyed with the fluffing, then seriously, it's probably something to do with your food/water intake pattern.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lots of experienced runners will run every day (sometimes twice) when training for a longer race, for most of us mere mortals running 3 to 5 days per week with x-training in between is usually sufficient.

There was an item in RW last year about one runner who finished a 45 year streak (but I'll bet there were lots of days when his run was a nice easy mile.....)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    since you are only running 2 miles a day i would say it's safe to run everyday. when you start hitting 6miles and up maybe even 3.1 miles and up I would take at least one day rest.

but of course listen to your body. if you are in pain, then by all means take recovery days.

Huh

Allow me to clarify my "huh."

Running every day for 2mi would not yield the same benefits/adaptations as increasing the distance/duration of her existing ones. When built up well (eh, let's say 4-5mi), then I'd add another day, and increase the distance on that one over time. Build up for two weeks, back down a bit for one, repeat until you're awesome. I like streaks (or >7 day cycles) because you can train under a pretty good level of fatigue, and trust me, when you actually race that training fatigue experience will allow you to drop the hammer at the end of a race and piss off a lot of people. When you're cobbling together 1-2mi runs for the sake of preserving a streak, I just can't wrap my head around that. Rest is rest.

*ETA I am hardly a running professional, but the proof is in the puddin' (my profile).
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would say no to running everyday as I sit here not been able to run for a year. I ran everyday and I now have such foot problems that I have not had one day walking pain free for a year.
    I am not saying this will happen to you or that it was only running that caused my problems but there is no need to run everyday. Stick with every other day and gradually build up your distance. Don't try to increase speed before you build a base and increase your distance. There is no shame in taking walk breaks most new runners try to run to far to fast to soon. Add 10% to your distance weekly best way to stay injury free.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Wait, soooo what if I run twice a day every day? :-(
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner and even I know this thread has too severe a case of the stupid to ever recover. I suggest euthanasia; it's more humane than letting it continue to limp along in pain.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Then you'd be the superest runnerest runner EVAR
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You may already be dead....
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

You would end up very, very, far away from here.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

YASH
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

YASH

You are super hot? Forgive me, I'm new to some of this interweb stuff.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

YASH

You are super hot? Forgive me, I'm new to some of this interweb stuff.

NO! Yams Are So Healthy. DYEPaleo?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've been running 1-2 miles, every other day. It's not easy yet, but I am able to do it without stopping. My body always looks trim and great the day of and after I run, but then I take a day off, and it fluffs back up. So, should I be running every day? With maybe one or two days a week off? Or should I just continue on my every other day plan? I'm 5'6", weigh 140 pounds, medium build. I'm not really looking to lose weight, as there's not much to lose, just tone everything up and be healthy.

I like this part. The part where they day you run you are skinny AND the day after. But day 3 uh oh!!!! FLUFFERNUTTERSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

hqdefault.jpg
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You can if you WANT to and it feels ok. I would suggest, if fluffiness is the issue, alternate it with another exercise that would use your joints and muscles a little differently. I say that as I am part of a runners challenge so I do run most days. Variety is the spice of life but if you really enjoy the running part... by all means do it. I do highly recommend taking rest days 1-2 times per week at least though.

By all means, increase your strength training to help with overall fitness level.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ..... So, should I be running every day?

.......I'm not really looking to lose weight, as there's not much to lose, just tone everything up and be healthy.

Given that your objective is a bit vague the benefits of running every day don't really outwaigh the disbenefit.

I appreciate that you're not doing a particularly significant distance, and you identify that your speed isn't high yet, but there are other ways to get benefits from your exercise.

From a personal perspective, while I try to train every day, I don't run every day. I tend to run 4-5 times per week, a combination of different types of session each of which have different effects on my CV system and muscular adaptation. On non running days I'll row, cycle or some resistance training. Sometimes I'll do a bike/ run combination session.

I'd suggest some form of cross training, running is not a whole body exercise and some resistance training helps with both injury prevention and can contribute to running performance.

So essentially while you can run every day for short distances like that, I'd suggest that you'll get much more benefit from varying your training.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Your body does not change that drastically when you run vs not running. I'm not sure what fluff is but in one day you dont gain weight. I personally run every other day and don't see a need to run daily. Why not increase your distance but continue to run every other day?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You may already be dead....

it depends on which movie she's in.

there are slow zombies and fast zombies.

but she can only be a running zombie if she got cast in a certain movie.