Working out but not losing weight or toning up.

Hi everybody :) so, I started out the school year around 135-140 lbs (I'm just under 5'9''), which I was okay with after being unhealthily thin at 125. That went up to 149 in a matter of a couple of months. Around that time, I started boxing Monday-Thursday. I've been at it for a few months, but I'm not noticing ANY change whatsoever in regards to body composition or weight and it's irritating (last time I got weighed at the doctor, I was 152, so I may have even gained a few pounds.) I think I might be what they call 'skinnyfat', because I have super-tiny wrists, faintly visible ribs, but I also have jiggly thighs and a lot of fat on my torso, particularly my stomach. What could be causing this? And is there anything I can do?

Replies

• spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Yes, read the helpful guidelines posted all over this website. There is a bunch of good info. That said, there are a couple of ways to figure out how many calories you should be taking in every day. TDEE, basic measures, etc. Figure out what your goal is, lose weight, gain muscle, get lean, whatever. Figure out where you are. Figure out where you want to go (goals). Find the forums on here which support your goals. Measure everything you eat, no kidding. Log it, no kidding. Most people eat a lot more than they think. This site can help you figure a lot out. Most of the people on this site are more than willing, eager even, to help you reach your goals. Keep focused on your goals and follow through to achieve them. And when you work out, really work out. Don't play at it. Get serious. If you really want it, then really go for it. I hope this doesn't come across harsh. I don't know you. I don't know how hard you are trying. I am not there. But if you are really working it, especially initially, something should be happening. You might also see if your gym has a trainer who might sit down with you and help you work out a plan. Good luck. :-)
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Hi everybody :) so, I started out the school year around 135-140 lbs (I'm just under 5'9''), which I was okay with after being unhealthily thin at 125. That went up to 149 in a matter of a couple of months. Around that time, I started boxing Monday-Thursday. I've been at it for a few months, but I'm not noticing ANY change whatsoever in regards to body composition or weight and it's irritating (last time I got weighed at the doctor, I was 152, so I may have even gained a few pounds.) I think I might be what they call 'skinnyfat', because I have super-tiny wrists, faintly visible ribs, but I also have jiggly thighs and a lot of fat on my torso, particularly my stomach. What could be causing this? And is there anything I can do?

Coming from a long time Martial artist, boxing is a great conditioning tool, but offers little in resistance. Since you're looking for a body recomp, I would suggest a progressive strength training program (starting strength, stronglift, ICF, ect...) Alongside, a proper nutrition program. Gaining weight or losing weight will have everything to do with your nutrition, and little with the exercise you're doing.

You can always lift 3x/week and box 2-3 times a week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Coming from a long time Martial artist, boxing is a great conditioning tool, but offers little in resistance. Since you're looking for a body recomp, I would suggest a progressive strength training program (starting strength, stronglift, ICF, ect...) Alongside, a proper nutrition program. Gaining weight or losing weight will have everything to do with your nutrition, and little with the exercise you're doing.

You can always lift 3x/week and box 2-3 times a week.

Yup all this...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Exercise doesnt equal weight loss.