Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do you determine your ultimate goal weight?

Different web sites seem to have slightly different ranges for healthy body weight. Some web sites have three different weights for the same height (one for small frame, one for medium frame, and one for large frame).

I am just curious to how various people have chosen their ultimate goal weight in relation to "healthy weight range". So my fellow MFP peeps, how did you choose your ultimate goal weight?

Mine is silly. For my height 125 lbs is within healthy weight range via the various sites I have viewed. I was 125 when I first got my driver's license (many many years ago :tongue: ). I haven't changed my weight on my drivers license since then and I refuse to do so out of pride (and determination that I will get to that weight again).

I have come to the conclusion that as my weight goes down, I will see how I physically look (who knows - 130 or a little more may look perfect for me) and how I am feeling physically. Now, I also am trying to focus more on body fat percentage in relation to my overall goal (I want to be in the healthy range and just feel like I am in shape). My ultimate goal weight may change if I feel ok with myself sooner.

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Right now my goal is 160, which is 5-10 pounds above the healthy weight range for my height (depending on what site I look at). I have the same plan as you once I reach that weight, see how I look and feel and if I decide to lose more set new goals in five pound increments.

I chose that weight before I looked at the weight range. When I was doing Weight Watchers and it was time for me to set a weight goal the number they chose for me felt too low and really started to stress me out. Aiming for 160 eases my mind.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    For now my goal is based off of BMI and what I think would be appropriate for my build (larger, more athletic frame). I know that if I made 120lbs my goal I would look emaciated and I would never be able to maintain it. So I am just going to keep at it until I hit my goal and see how I feel: Do I want to lose more or go into maintain mode?

But yes! It's different for everyone, I know people that are the same height as me with a smaller build and maintain at 120 very easily. You never know!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    My goal is the weight that I maintained without work most of my adult life even after having 2 kids. The last 3 years is the only time since age 21 that my weight has changed except pregnancy. After I get there, since I am doing all this work I figure I will work on body recomp and fat%.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I chose in the 140's as it is within the healthy weight range, and my 'lowest' adult weight was 150, and I remember feeling chubby-ish at that size, so I went down a bit from there. But honestly, anything within the healthy weight range (up to 162lbs for my height) is fine with me.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    I've based mine on BMI. I want to sit somewhere around 21.5. For my height of 164 cm, I would need to be 58 kg (128 lbs). I'm about 9 lbs away. :)
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    I've based mine on BMI. I want to sit somewhere around 21.5. For my height of 164 cm, I would need to be 58 kg (128 lbs). I'm about 9 lbs away. :)

Congrats on your progress!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    I also went on bmi, I decided on 21.5 but when I got there I wasn't quite happy. Then decided on how I looked and fitted into clothes. Dropped another 5lb ish pounds, now on maintenance yay! Good luck with ur lose, I believe do what u feel comfortable with and measure as well as weigh.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    I'm focusing more on body fat percentage than weight. However, to get a better idea of how far away that is, I took my lean mass and calculated what my weight would be at around 20% body fat.

The most important thing is to get to a place where I'm happy with how I look and feel. :smile:
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    my current goal (145) is a weight that I felt comfortable at 4ish years ago and that i think i can maintain. once i get there, i'll re-evaluate and see if there is more work to be done. it feels less daunting to just say, "i need to lose 24 lbs" rather than some number that i've never been at before.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    My goal weight is determined by how I like the way I look, and the sizes of my wardrobe ( I do NOT want to get smaller than size 12 in jeans). I pay no attention to BMI, the scale, or any other parameters.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    I'm pretty close to my goal weight. I re-evaluate every five pounds.
    I also lift weights, so I'm not overly concerned about the actual weight on the scale, and more thrilled about losing body fat.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    I have a really long way to go, so I picked the weight the doctors have been pestering me to get down to.