high iron foods???

Options
Aside from red meat, what are some foods that are exceptionally high in iron?

thank you! :)

Replies

• anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cooked lentils hits 37% of your daily iron intake. :flowerforyou:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    dark fruits and vegetables i.e.
    kale
    spinach
    blackberries
    prunes/raisins/dried fruits
    black grapes (they exist lol)
    pinto beans
    lentils

*edit - i'm anemic and try to supplement my diet with iron rich foods to avoid taking IV iron (blech)
    if you are NOT anemic... i would suggest limiting these foods or at least staying around your daily allotment as too much iron can be a bad thing.
  • katevonr
    Options
    Spinach and lentils are biggies. And Cream of Wheat. I was a vegetarian for 12 years, and would always eat Cream of Wheat the night before donating blood so my iron count would be high enough!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Spinach and lentils are biggies. And Cream of Wheat. I was a vegetarian for 12 years, and would always eat Cream of Wheat the night before donating blood so my iron count would be high enough!

Really?!? I love Cream of Wheat. Maybe I should eat that every morning instead of oatmeal. Do you know the difference in iron between the two off hand?
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks! there's some great ideas here I'm definitely going to use.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you ever eat regular boxed cereals, but mini-wheats are amazingly high in iron - one bowl will get you almost 90% of your daily requirement. Not something you'd want to eat on a regular basis maybe, but noshing on a few squares without milk can really boost your iron intake in a fairly tasty fashion.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    [
    Really?!? I love Cream of Wheat. Maybe I should eat that every morning instead of oatmeal. Do you know the difference in iron between the two off hand?

Cream of Wheat : 1 Pack (35 gm) 45% RDA
    Oatmeal Regular 1 PAck (39 gm) 10% RDA

Remember to have vitamin C as it helps in Iron Absorption
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    This is something I find myself googling on occasion. I learned that caffeine blocks mineral absorption by 80%. Yet 2-4 oz of red wine a day help. iron absorption goes hand in hand w/vitamin c...food is so amazing! I love how God made it all work for us.

iron rich foods that I have in my house are:

pate
    beets/I either steam them or juice them
    thick steak once a month
    spinach(as many have mentioned)
    black beans
    soy beans(i got to boil them now!!!!)
    kidney beans
    almonds
    lentils
    chickpeas
    broccoli
    sesame seeds(i make tahini sauce w/them & w/that make hummus which the chickpeas are for)
    sunflower seeds
    oat groats

I've thought about getting me some black molasses...wondered if i could make it! Now, that I googled this chart, I remember why I bought soy beans, lol seriously! shesh, I do things and forget why!!! That's a personality issue. hehe

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

according to the chart, the foods highest are:
    Soybeans, cooked 1 cup 8.8 mg
    Blackstrap molasses 2 Tbsp 7.2 mg
    Lentils, cooked 1 cup 6.6 mg
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 6.4 mg
    Quinoa, cooked 1 cup 6.3 mg
    Tofu 4 oz 6.0 mg

Thanks for the reminder!!!
  • rawdefault
    Options
    Iron absorption is enhanced by the presence of vitamin c - so make a smoothie with spinach, strawberries (very high in vit c) and bananas, or try stir-frying some kale or silverbeet with garlic, pepper, healthy salt (orgnaic Himalayan rock salt) and lemon juice for the vit c.