Wheat free /Gluten free diet

Options

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There is more and more research that gluten isn't good for you and you should avoid it. You obviously want to become informed and Wheat Belly is an excellent book to educate yourself. Stay away from all the gluten free crackers and bread, it’s a bunch of processed crap. Not eating gluten is not a low carb diet, you can eat all the healthy carbs you want….ie fruits and veggies. As I say, Just eat real food. Pasta and bread is not real food….it’s been processed.
    Good for you for not listening to other dieters and follow what makes sense and more importantly how you feel. There will always be ignorant people who don’t want to educate themselves and spit out garbage .

I grow wheat for personal consumption. I make a few dishes that contain cracked wheat. Because it isn't processed, does that mean its ok for me to eat?
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    As for those who say gluten free doesn't taste good, has bad texture, is ridiculously expensive, etc. - gluten free doesn't require you to simply substitute gluten filled products with their heavily processed gluten free replacements. You can totally enjoy gluten free or grain free, etc. by simply avoiding those kinds of products entirely or for the most part - just eat vegetables, fruits, meats, seeds, nuts, etc. etc. rather than swapping normal bread for gluten free bread, etc. If that's the only problem you have with gluten free I think the OP is fine to try it out for herself.
    [/quote]

This I follow a paleo lifestyle so I never use gluten free replacement foods. I stick to meat, veg, occasional fruit, nuts and seeds. It works for me and it's not that much more expensive than how I ate before. I save money on snacks and wine so it all works out. It takes a bit more preparation because you can't think "what's for dinner , I will pick up something from the supermarket "but on the whole it works for me. I have multiple intolerances and gluten/grains trigger my fibromyalgia symptoms so I have to eat this way. I recently returned to my standard diet and it's just not worth for me. Good luck with however you decide to eat. I have had criticism for my diet from downright hostility to being made fun off and called obsessive but I know it helps so I ignore it. I don't criticise how they eat so they shouldn't criticise me.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    This thread is full blown potato
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I consume a gluten free diet, as I was experiencing acne, excessive bloating (and my face would get bloated too!), digestive problems, etc. I tried eliminating things, and when I eliminated gluten the symptoms dissipated. I don't understand the people saying that gluten free is bad for you/expensive? It can be that way if you buy gluten free junk and think you're being healthy. I don't consume gluten junk substitutes, I use leafy greens instead of pasta, bread, etc. Not sure why there is always so much vitriol towards gluten free.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Damn you beat me to it!

I try and maintain a gluten/wheat free diet. I have IBS and notice a difference in my symptoms if I avoid these things (as well as deep fried foods, beans and sometimes garlic :( ). If you don't have any dietary issues, there isn't really any need to give them up. Yes, you might feel less bloated, but it isn't a magical weight loss cure- gluten free versions of bread also often have higher calories due to the inclusion of nuts/nut flours. All of this 'wheat belly' stuff is yet to be supported either way by decent scientific evidence.

I'd love to be able to eat a pizza without feeling like utter crap, that would be awesome. Anyway, I digress. I dont really use wheat substitutes but instead stick to rice and potato/tubers/squash. I also very occasionally make bread with Spelt flour, which DOES contain gluten, but in much lower amounts.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For 10 years I was a yoyo dieter.. I'd drop 50 pounds gain 60 and was starting to show signs of damage with the aging process. By day 2 I knew I stumbled onto something great. I had energy I hadn't felt in 10 years. I didn't need a nap at all, which was a habit of mine. By the end of the first week I noticed my belly was deflated and my joints weren't aching.

I month of doing this and I feel so much better, sharper, smaller, happier.

The weirdest part is that I have no cravings. And I am not getting hungry between meals. Hope it works out well for you OP.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Gluten is not just in wheat. It's in barley and rye too, so no beer if you give up gluten.

There are gluten free brands of beer. I forget what they are but they are out there.
    Not sure why there is always so much vitriol towards gluten free.

Because people think it's a magic pill that will cause them to lose a ton of weight after giving up gluten.

The fact of the matter is that truly going gluten free isn't just saying "Oh, I'll just stop eating breads and pasta." You have to make sure that your food is prepared in a gluten free way when you go to restaurants. You have to read labels because there are ingredients that have gluten hidden in them, caramel color being one of them. My sister has celiacs and I wouldn't trade places with her for anything. She has a handful of restaurants that she can go to where she knows without a doubt that her food is being prepared separately. Sometimes she brings her own food places because she just can't be sure there hasn't been any cross contamination (ie: someone sticking a cracker into hummus that was specifically for her). She had to buy herself cookware because her food was getting cross contaminated.

I understand why people would want to cut down on gluten in their diet but to go completely 100% gluten free isn't worth it unless you have a medical reason for it.
  • kimiejo76
    kimiejo76 Posts: 24
    Options
    if u switch from beer to vodka, read labels! I dont care how much the purify it.. Ketel one, grey goose, absolut and possible smirnoff (but who cares because it's nasty) is made with wheat. Belvedere is made with rye, so stay away from that too. Ciroc (good ole puff daddy) is made with potatoes!

I had a grey goose cosmo last night and instantly knew i was exposed.. came out and read the label. sure enough.. made from french wheat. so ciroc it will be.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

The fact of the matter is that truly going gluten free isn't just saying "Oh, I'll just stop eating breads and pasta." You have to make sure that your food is prepared in a gluten free way when you go to restaurants. You have to read labels because there are ingredients that have gluten hidden in them, caramel color being one of them. My sister has celiacs and I wouldn't trade places with her for anything. She has a handful of restaurants that she can go to where she knows without a doubt that her food is being prepared separately. Sometimes she brings her own food places because she just can't be sure there hasn't been any cross contamination (ie: someone sticking a cracker into hummus that was specifically for her). She had to buy herself cookware because her food was getting cross contaminated.

I understand why people would want to cut down on gluten in their diet but to go completely 100% gluten free isn't worth it unless you have a medical reason for it.

Oh you are so right! I was recently diagnosed. I stopped eating gluten cold turkey - which was challenging as I ate a super high fibre diet with plenty of wheat and other gluten-containing foods. I didn't have any real information and ended up with the mistaken idea that things labelled gluten-free were going to be fine. Yeah, 10 pounds later I had to take a look into where I was going wrong!

It's been 5 months now and it still takes me an hour to do a small grocery shopping. I've never read so many labels in my life! I also discovered an intolerance to xanthan and guar gums, which are used as substitutes for gluten in some products.

One of the things I ran across after diving into research was a small list of companies who are using expired GF certifications. Meaning, their products are no longer guaranteed to the ppm levels they claim but they are still using the GF stamp on their labels. I trust nothing any more....nothing. Especially since the last "GF" item I ate caused a reaction so severe my boyfriend panicked and wanted to call 911.

Part of me is glad GF is a current "fad" as it has made everyone more aware of gluten and there are more products available if I should choose to purchase them. The other part of me is frustrated due to the fact that it's becoming commonplace. I worry that my need to ensure I don't come into contact with gluten isn't going to be taken seriously.

I see posts like the OP and wonder how simply going GF aids in weight loss. I didn't experience that at all (and neither did my sister and son, who also have celiac). I feel a little cheated. :grumble:
  • RedDeerJason
    RedDeerJason Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    totally agree, I'm off gluten I dropped 40 lbs in 18 months. Wheat and sugar is making society fat.

Damn you beat me to it!

I try and maintain a gluten/wheat free diet. I have IBS and notice a difference in my symptoms if I avoid these things (as well as deep fried foods, beans and sometimes garlic :( ). If you don't have any dietary issues, there isn't really any need to give them up. Yes, you might feel less bloated, but it isn't a magical weight loss cure- gluten free versions of bread also often have higher calories due to the inclusion of nuts/nut flours. All of this 'wheat belly' stuff is yet to be supported either way by decent scientific evidence.

I'd love to be able to eat a pizza without feeling like utter crap, that would be awesome. Anyway, I digress. I dont really use wheat substitutes but instead stick to rice and potato/tubers/squash. I also very occasionally make bread with Spelt flour, which DOES contain gluten, but in much lower amounts.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Without judging any of the other posters... if you wish FOR WHATEVER REASON to eat gluten free & want some support from others who are living that way, there is a Gluten Free forum group here on MFP. You are welcome to join us & I promise we won't tell you you are crazy, lol. We only give suggestions on yummy GF food (there's lots) and recipes and tips for travel & eating out or at events, etc

Agreed. Find some of the forum groups. Built-in signal to noise filtering.

I also recommend checking out the Paleo groups, since you're going more of a whole-foods GF route.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Well, I started yesterday and I am feeling great, so I am all for it! My mind is more clear, I have energy, and no cravings! My stomach pains have gone away and just feel lighter. I even dropped .4 lbs ..compared to the day before. I was hoping for some positive responses but I respect all of your opinions and experiences. I'm reading the Wheat Belly book and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I will never eat bread again but I can definitely tell the difference in the way I was feeling prior to how I feel now....and it's only been one day!

You can tell all that in a day?

hehehe I was thinking the EXACT same thing LMAO

Depending on the source of the reaction (in ability to properly digest vs post-digestion immune response), yes, you can. You can even ask my son, who goes from generally laid back, agreeable, and regular (in the digestive sense) to irritable, defiant, and....not regular (to put it nicely), and back, within hours when drinking milk.

Oh, and he's 4, and I swapped the milk in his cereal with almond milk. While you can argue that the mood differences had more to do with him being a little kid, I can guarantee you that the differences in bowel movements have nothing to do with anything but his ingestion of milk.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I am gluten free through choice, though some tests I had taken showed that I had a wheat-intolerance, though I have heard there are no medical grounds to back this up. I eat gluten free 99% of the time, apart from the odd treat maybe every few weeks to monthly. Since going gluten free/wheat free, and properly looking at ingredients in foods about 18-24 months ago, I have lost over 3st, or 50 lbs whichever you prefer. I do feel much better when I don't eat it, less bloated and overfull, like feeling I have eaten too much. I do use some gluten free substitutes, though it is important to remember that these mostly don't have a less calorie advantage, in fact in some breads and biscuits the calories are slightly higher. I tend to have wheat free bread and pasta, around once a week each, and some biscuits each evening as a treat, while fitting into my daily calorie allowance.
    I do believe there are some positive health benefits, but unless you have to, I don't recommend cutting it out completely, as this could lead to a greater intolerance overall, like if I don't have wheat/gluten for over a month, I tend to feel quite sick the next time I do, but this passes. Best of luck with your journey/decision :)
    Cutting out Gluten has nothing to do with your weightloss. All it means is that you were eating at a calorie deficit.

I think that everybody works differently, I had previously followed a calorie controlled diet, weighing and logging with MFP, along with exercise and experienced little to no weight loss.. a pound here and there etc. I had also tried atkins, and slimming world, with no weight loss. Gluten free for me has been positive and I do believe it has contributed to my weight loss...My weight also increased when I introduced it again briefly to 'test your theory' while still eating at a deficit.
    Different ways for different bodies :)

Of course your weight is going to increase when you introduce carbs back into your diet. Your body retains more water to break it down. It doesn't mean you gained fat just from eating bread again.
    No. The only time I tried low carb I had no energy at all. Just lift the things and eat the food and have PATIENCE! No need for fad diets unless there is a medical reason.

Gluten free does not equate to low carb.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    10346193_818839038137109_7883302786545644497_n.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Red herring is red.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

It questionable that cocaine is gluten free, apparently manfaturerers don't have to list all their ingredients
  • maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make some gluten-free desserts because I found a great blog with recipes for them. The desserts tend to be lower calorie, fat, sugar and higher protein than their wheat counterparts (due to many, many substitutions). That being said, I buy the flours in bulk (at the Bulk Barn), so it's really not that much more expensive (what's expensive is the sweeteners, protein powders, and extracts). Now, if I tried to cut out bread/pasta and everything else with gluten, I'd be spending a lot more money. Honestly, if you don't have a medical reason, I wouldn't cut it out as a "diet". For me, if I make something that's gluten-free or vegan, it just happened to turn out that way. If the recipe looks good, I'll give it a go, but I wouldn't go out of my way to cut out gluten.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

There are gluten free brands of beer. I forget what they are but they are out there.

Estrella Damm do 'Daura' which is really nice.
  • BrennaReistad
    BrennaReistad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free when you do not have an allergy is a bad idea. The reason being, while there is no gluten, it makes up for it using other ingredients. The sugar and calories are higher than something that would have gluten. So essentially, if you are eating gluten free because of an allergy you are fine, your body has to shift to deal with it. You may not loose weight though. If you are eating gluten free as a 'diet' your body goes what are you giving me and goes into overdrive. Most reviews I have read about it being used as a diet, people have gained weight.

I'm gluten free because I realized I have an allergy. My stomach does not look as swollen and bloated anywhere near as much, my migraines have cut down a wonderious amount, my digestive track is normal for the first time in my entire life, but I have not lost any weight.

diet- bad
    allergy- good

you can always try cutting carbs?