Eating more earlier in the day - Europeans have it right?

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
So, I went to an event yesterday where I was served a full luncheon, dessert, etc., and at night, I wasn't hungry and just made myself a salad because i wanted something before bed and didn't have too many calories left. For the first time in a month, I saw a loss, down to 118 lbs. I'm afraid to track it for fear it will go away next time I weigh in!

I'm wondering if the Europeans and other cultures actually have it right -- that it's healthier to eat your big meal early in the day. American style, and the style for many posters is to eat light all day and save up for a huge dinner at night. Any thoughts?

Replies

• SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I dont believe that meal timing has any relevance to weight loss.
    Its all about the daily intake of calories.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    What fat bottome girl said! Nice name btw! LOL! I eat largest meal as dinner and post dinner snack is 2nd largest!
  • krisynorton
    krisynorton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think that it is more relevant if you are NOT counting calories.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If it "works for you", then go for it.

Not eating early works much better for me - I'll eat as much or more later if I eat early as well as the food eaten earlier.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of debate on that subject...
    This is how I see it...
    Big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner

Big breakfast to start the day gives you calories that you burn off during the day...if you eat a large dinner you generally don't have enough activity at night to burn it off...

but others say if you eat 1500 calories its 1500 calories regardless of the time of day but I don't agree
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

^ Bingo!

If eating early in the day helps you eat less, then go for it.

It seems the most popular method though is the opposite. A common intermittent fasting strategy is to skip breakfast, saving calories for later in the day.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So, I went to an event yesterday where I was served a full luncheon, dessert, etc., and at night, I wasn't hungry and just made myself a salad because i wanted something before bed and didn't have too many calories left. For the first time in a month, I saw a loss, down to 118 lbs. I'm afraid to track it for fear it will go away next time I weigh in!

I'm wondering if the Europeans and other cultures actually have it right -- that it's healthier to eat your big meal early in the day. American style, and the style for many posters is to eat light all day and save up for a huge dinner at night. Any thoughts?

Meal time and meal frequency is a personal choice....nothing more. The metabolism does not " burn off " calories early in the day and takes a nap later on. It also has no watch and does not know what time of day it is....:o).
    I ( even though I am European ) don't start eating until about 2 pm and have my biggest meal of the day around 9pm and so far have lost 50 pounds. For me it works, for others it might not.
    Do what works for you and don't worry about the rest of us !
    Good Luck !
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I couldn't survive not eating earlier in the day. I definitely don't like going to bed after a heavy meal. i felt much more comfortable with the light supper.
  • Singlejules
    Singlejules Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I personally find eating small meals throughout the morning. Bigger lunch then smaller meal in the evening. My body prefers it that way and I lose weight. Like others said do what you feel is right for you..Good luck :-)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    They can have it as right as they want for themselves. It's totally wrong for me. All eating in the morning does is make me sluggish, dull-witted, and hungry.
  • jimwon953
    jimwon953 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been losing plenty of weight having most of my calories in the evening, so I don't think it really makes any difference. I think you should probably eat more in the morning if you do a physically demanding job so you don't get starved and then overeat at night.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise eating a large lunch was a characteristic of being European!!
    That's a bit like saying all Americans wear stetsons.....
    Cultures and typical eating patterns in different European countries vary enormously.

Eating the majority of your calories earlier in the day might give you a lower reading next morning if you have a quick digestive transit but otherwise how you distribute your calories is personal preference and how it helps your adherence to your calorie goal.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    They can have it as right as they want for themselves. It's totally wrong for me. All eating in the morning does is make me sluggish, dull-witted, and hungry.

Agreed. Eating in the morning for me makes me all ...

tumblr_llhctdm0jU1qje621o1_500.gif

and then

Mr-Bean-Eating-Chicken.gif

Besides, the excuses people use to eat during certain times of the day is mostly
    tumblr_mgexlapJMW1s0epgqo1_400.gif
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    European here :)

Yes, we are(were) used to a big breakfast, big lunch, poor dinner. When life was less complicated, and the more common work was agriculture.
    You need fuel during the day to work the soil and do all that stuff! And if in the evening you are hungry... who cares, you are going bed!

Now even here things have changed, and our habits are more similar to yours.
    For example, since dinner may be the only meal shared in the family, one may want that to be the main one.

And again, the core of weight loss is calories in/out.
    BUT, if you find more comfortable for you to shift the amount of calories you have, do it! There is no magic, just find what you prefer :)
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options

^^This.

My preferred eating habits involve a light breakfast, slightly larger lunch, much bigger dinner. And snacks. I love snacks! I think I've done pretty well this way. It's all a personal preference kind of thing. Do what works for your eating habits.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Agreed. Eating in the morning for me makes me all ...

tumblr_llhctdm0jU1qje621o1_500.gif

and then

Mr-Bean-Eating-Chicken.gif

Besides, the excuses people use to eat during certain times of the day is mostly
    tumblr_mgexlapJMW1s0epgqo1_400.gif

:laugh: That first guy looks like me right now, but I did just start drinking coffee again. I'll settle down eventually!

Mostly eating in the morning makes me

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeq922E0cxNJYd2w_jFEhb7-gw7X1wKQsCuVlglFeoYF7A9W5M
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is how I see it...

Big breakfast to start the day gives you calories that you burn off during the day...if you eat a large dinner you generally don't have enough activity at night to burn it off...

but others say if you eat 1500 calories its 1500 calories regardless of the time of day but I don't agree

The more you eat in a given time period, the more you increase fat storage and decrease fat oxidation. If you eat more at night then during that time period after your meal you increase fat storage and decrease fat oxidation. However, the more you eat at night, the less you eat during the day (assuming we are talking about the same total calories for 24 hours). So fat oxidation goes UP during the day, and fat storage goes DOWN.

All that matters is that collectively, fat oxidation is greater than fat storage (if your goal is fat loss). This happens in a calorie deficit regardless of whether you eat more at night vs in the day.

This is why you cannot look at the time period a few hours after a meal and assume that it indicates what happens over several days/weeks.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding the original post:

I think there's going to be a fair amount of individual variability in terms of distributing calories throughout the day and how that effects satiety. Lifestyle and training schedule will play a role in that as well.

The individual should find a method that best maximizes adherence, performance, and lifestyle factors and go with that, whether that's skipping breakfast or eating 3 meals per day or eating 5 meals per day or whatever.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is how I see it...

Eh, I see where you're coming from but it's not totally accurate. Meal timing is pretty much irrelevant.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe it. When I eat a big breakfast, I'm not as hungry and snack less later in the day.