Woman who lift

Options
2»

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    right now running Sheiko competition prep program for a lifting meet.

lifting programs will not be gender specific- pick a program that suits your needs/goals and go with it- it's not about "woman's programs vs men's programs)

But what if I want to get long and lean instead of all bulky?

add yoga
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am doing New a Rules of Lifting for Women.

^^^good one plus-

Strong Curves, Baby Got Back, Ice Cream FItness, Chalean Extreme, Strong Lifts
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This is what I try to do every other day at the gym. A variation of 5X5--plus a few other things thrown in--I can't do squats due to severe arthritis (I don't work a lot on legs because I walk 3-5 miles a day for my job):

Barbell Bench Press

Bent Over Barbell Row

Dumbbell Bicep Curl

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise

Front Dumbbell Raise

One-Arm Cable Chest Press

Dumbbell 2-Arm Triceps Extension

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Dumbbell 2-Arm Triceps Extension
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

lifting programs will not be gender specific- pick a program that suits your needs/goals and go with it- it's not about "woman's programs vs men's programs)

add yoga

Or pilaties
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started with NROL4W. I lift at home and only had dumbbells at the time.

After I bought a barbell/bench/weights I started 5x5.

I'm currently running 5/3/1.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do something similar. I do 5 exercises everytime I go to the gym usually every other day. I do a warm up and a core then start with my 1st exercise, usually squats, deadlifts or lunges. I do 15 reps then move to the 2nd exercise. I go thru all five ex. doing 15 reps at a low weight. I do all five ex. again for 12 reps at a higher weight. Next set is 9 reps higher weight, 3rd set is 5 reps and last one is 3 reps at my max weight. This has really helped me get stronger and lose weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

make sure you use the pink weights- those are ONLY for long lean muscles... also get the fluid barre workouts too- those are good for lengthening muscles.

if you can get your hands on a rack ask your friends to help stretch you- that will DEFINITELY give you some length to those muscles!!!
    You MAY have to steal one from a museum- or I guess you could make your own- but nothing stretches those muscles out like a couple hours on the rack!!!

But it also must be pink- if it's blue- you get long lean AND big.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Following Stronglifts and doing weighted/time ab (core exercises)
    5 sets of 5 reps. Also do a pyramid on squats and deadlifts to warm up
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do my own thing. My husband and I work out together and we work one muscle group per day and alternate legs and abs (although I haven't been doing legs as much because I've been training for a race and cycling pretty much takes care of that).

For example this week was:

Monday: Shoulders - 30 min run in the afternoon
    Tuesday: Tri's/Ab's - 60 min bike in the afternoon
    Wednesday - rest (not a typical rest day we just couldn't get to the gym)
    Thursday: Bi's - 30 min run/50 min bike
    Friday: Chest/Abs - 30 min run (if it's not raining out)

We use different equipment (when available) and do different exercises. Today for chest it's dumbbell work and single arm presses, and flies (incline and flat).

I like it. It works for me.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. I love it! I've been weight training for more than 25 years, and I'm getting better results with this program than any I've used before. It may be a little too complicated for brand new lifters, as you have to put together your own workouts based on the guidelines in the book, but I highly recommend it for more experienced people!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have been doing SL 5x5 for several months now. I have cut down to 3x5 and added some accessories for variety. I also lift at home and don't use a spotter. That being said I have had to do the roll of shame on the BP before.