personal safety while running

Options
tiguer
tiguer Posts: 37 Member
Due to my schedule and commitments, I do my workouts at 5am each day. In the winter, its always indoors on the elliptical or treadmill but in the spring/summer, I move outdoors for a morning run once its light enough at 5am.

I've been noticing this week that its getting lighter at earlier and earlier times - so I plan to move outdoors starting Monday. Which brings up my concern. I live in a rural area - think wooded subdivisions with large lots, surrounded by fields and lots of deer. The homes are fairly spread out in comparison to a subdivision in a city or town. I have little concern over creepers or personal attacks of that nature. I'm worried about animals. More importantly, I'm worried about Mountain Lions. There have been numerous reports in the surrounding area lately of Mountain Lion attacks - none on people yet but they have been getting dogs - big dogs, like 200 lb great Danes.

So, if you are concerned about animals while on your workout, what do you do to protect yourself? Do you pack heat? If so, what caliber? Are there other non-lethal self protection tools that would be effective in this situation?

Please note: gun debate is not welcome, I am simply learning more about what others are doing for protection so I can make the best choice for my circumstance. I am trained and permitted to carry, so that is an option for me and part of why I am asking about it.

Replies

• defenderoftheuniverse
    defenderoftheuniverse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run where there was mountain lions. Be safe, I hope you get the answers you're looking for.
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good question. I don't really have an answer. I too live in a rural-ish area. We don't have mountain lions, but do have packs of coyotes. It's very disconcerting to hear them howling while I run at dawn. That being said, they aren't as big a threat as mountain lions. I've never considered running with a gun more for the weight and bulk issue than anything else. I'll be interested to see what responses you get.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You could pack while you run but it could be uncomfortable. I never have -- I also live in a very rural area -- but I have walked the dog with my pistol on my belt and it was rather heavy and cumbersome. Unless you can get something that is small (but powerful) and super light and find a holster that is conducive to running (I'm pretty sure a gun shop would be able to help you out there) I definitely would go that route.

I'd be a little wary of running early in the morning if there have been confirmed mountain lion attacks. I even get a little concerned when I run because we have a lot of bear where I live.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Where I ran, there were lots of cougars. They were mostly lonely and looking for young male companionship while their husbands were toiling away at the office with younger secretaries. I would never think of harming one.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'd punch the mountain lion in the face
  • tiguer
    Options
    We have Coyotes too - and their howling is a bit nerve-wracking! However, at least you know they are there. The Mountain Lions stalk you and you usually don't know they are there until...well, its too late - that is what is scary to me!

Mountain Lion are native to the lower 48, but have largely been driven out of most areas. Our state does not recognize a breeding mountain lion population at this time, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary. These animals have a huge range - one was recently tracked from South Dakota to Connecticut! Reports have not been in my immediate area, but in nearby towns that are certainly well within their typical range of travel.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Try to run where's it's safer. Less traffic, less animals, less obstacles to run into.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tiguer
    Options
    I would never dream of hurting one either, unless threatened by it. They are protected and can only be harmed if they are threatening you.
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am a Game Warden in Montana and i deal with wildlife for my career. I get asked this question in lots of ways, runners and hikers, and bikers are worried about bears and lions and moose etc. By best advice is to not run with head phones so that you can hear what is going on around you, especially if running with a companion is not an option. The next thing to consider is to buy a can of Bear Spray. Its a lot like mace or pepper spray you can buy for personal protection from people but the canister is three to four times bigger, the spray goes father and the concentraion of pepper in the can is greater. This spray will work on ay wild animal that gets too close, and in a pinch it would take down a grown man as well ;). The upsdie to the spray is that it is non-lethal and completely natural. So if you accidentally got sprayed yourself it wouldnt cause any permanent damage. Feel free to PM if you have more questions as this something i deal with often professinally. Good luck.
  • tiguer
    Options
    Where I ran, there were lots of cougars. They were mostly lonely and looking for young male companionship while their husbands were toiling away at the office with younger secretaries. I would never think of harming one.

Teehee - that is really funny!
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Indeed. They need nurturing. Or something like that.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    We have alligators, snakes, BIG frogs (that don't move) turtles, racoons, armadillos and the ever mean possum. We also supposedly have bobcats (never seen one) and just recently they say we have aggressive foxes.

My honey and I run before dark and into the sunrise.

I've never seen an animal do anythin but run away. Except a possum! They will stand off- we go around.

But- due to feeling skidish we run in the middle of the road, snakes hang in the grassy edges (in my mind anyway)

Oh, and Gidget always wears her i-phone with the light going forward, so they see us coming for sure.

WE, and you, are lucky!

Enjoy it!
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You could bring pepper spray. Where I live it's actually only legal to use against animals, not humans...
  • tiguer
    Options
    The next thing to consider is to buy a can of Bear Spray. Its a lot like mace or pepper spray you can buy for personal protection from people but the canister is three to four times bigger, the spray goes father and the concentraion of pepper in the can is greater. This spray will work on ay wild animal that gets too close, and in a pinch it would take down a grown man as well ;). The upsdie to the spray is that it is non-lethal and completely natural.

Awesome idea!!!! Thanks!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Have to say, not running where there be mountain lions would be my advice. Mountain lions hunt by ambushing their prey - unlikely you'd even know it's there before it's on you, so anything you'd carry would likely be pretty useless.

That said, if you're going to run in that area anyway, handguns aren't a good weapon against an animal, unless you're thinking of scaring it off with the sound of the shot. It takes a lot of skill to hit something moving as fast as it would be if it were charging you, something you probably won't have when you're surprised even you're usually Dead-Eye **** at the range. If it were me, and it's legal in your area, I'd carry one of those telescoping metal batons. They're fairly light, easy to carry, and take little skill to use.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have a tazer that's a little less bulky than a firearm, though it's still added weight and a bit cumbersome. I keep that with me at all times. I suspect it would get a mountain lion to think twice about a second attempt at making me lunch.

I'm thinking if you were going to carry a firearm, caliber wouldn't really matter too much. It would be more about your confidence and familiarity with the weapon, and how you're carrying it, the speed with which you could draw and fire, etc. (I'm in the process of getting my CCW, so these are considerations I'm currently contemplating, but for urban protection.)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The next thing to consider is to buy a can of Bear Spray. Its a lot like mace or pepper spray you can buy for personal protection from people but the canister is three to four times bigger, the spray goes father and the concentraion of pepper in the can is greater. This spray will work on ay wild animal that gets too close, and in a pinch it would take down a grown man as well ;). The upsdie to the spray is that it is non-lethal and completely natural.

Awesome idea!!!! Thanks!

And the downside is, if it blows back at you, you will be incapacitated and the lion will not. Be very careful to check the prevailing breeze before using a defensive spray.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would second the bear spray, but the down side to that is the canister size. It's going to be cumbersome for running. If you are thinking of packing heat, my husband suggests a small handgun like the S&W Bodyguard 380. It's literally the size of his palm and would be light and discreet. Good luck!
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I run sometimes at night outside too. I don't have to worry about wild animals, just dogs and people. I don't live in the best neighbor. I always run packing heat. I am trained and have my permit to carry also. I carry a SR9C on my hip secured by one of those gold's gym belly sweat band thingys. It has never been too heavy or bulky for me. Maybe because I started running with it and I've just got used to it. I feel more safer carrying my firearm than I would anything else. Just my preference. Good luck and be safe!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you decide to carry, they make bellyband holsters that would probably be more comfortable than a belt holster. There are also fanny packs as well. How fast you can draw from one of those holsters is a potential issue (and largely comes down to practice), but that's an issue for any spray or weapon - especially against a large predatory cat.