Low-Calorie Replacements

I'm a carb junkie. Which often means high calories. I could literally live off cereal and toast and since starting my diet I've really curbed my cereal intake and the only bread I've eaten has been low calorie wheat bread (which is also tiny compared to normal sized slices)

I'm creating this thread in hopes of finding suitable low calorie replacements for things such as bread, cereal, pasta and rice (especially pasta and rice)

Personally one good bread replacement I've found have been Ryvita Crackerbread (http://www.ryvita.co.uk/products/crackerbread/wholegrain-crackerbread) unlike normal crackers/biscuits etc it doesn't crumble and fall apart when you eat it and you can generally have anything on it you would normally have on a sandwich.

I would love to find a low calorie pasta replacement as I simply love the stuff. I know moderation is key and I don't have to give up things I like I just have to have less of them but I'm always looking for a lower calorie alternative.

Replies

• R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    I've never personally tried it, but a lot of people substitute pasta with spaghetti squash. If I thought I ever needed to substitue it I would try it, but I tend to be able to fit everything in my day accordingly.
  • ashhatch09
    ashhatch09 Posts: 6 Member
    It may not be lower calorie, but it is definitely better for you... But Tinkyada is a brand of brown rice pasta. It is really good. Not as sticky as regular pasta. We have it at publix, and I am sure you can find it at other stores.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    I buy shirataki noodles ("Miracle noodles") on Amazon, they're zero calorie/carb and don't taste like anything on their own, but they're really excellent if you incorporate them into a saucy dish :) I make pad thai with them all the time and it's excellent.
  • Lelajuly
    Lelajuly Posts: 1
    Spagetti squash is a wonderful alternative to regular pasta. With or without sauce, it's delicious. Zucchini can also be used as pasta. I'm still looking for a GOOD low cal bread!
  • Thank you for creating this thread! I also struggle with carbs. Giving up rice and pasta has been surprisingly easy, and when I do eat rice, I eat brown rice. I don't know how many calories I cut by eating brown as opposed to white rice; all I know is brown rice is supposedly the healthier option. I don't eat pasta at home but when I'm out, and I'm feeling in the mood for pasta, if possible, I substitute the regular pasta for the gluten free noodle. For instance, the Olive Garden in my area offers gluten free rotini.

As for bread, I've always eaten whole wheat so I have no problems in that regard. The problem is with the hot dog/hamburger buns, biscuits, dinner roles, etc. I just love bread!! I have no qualms about eating veggie/garden burgers and turkey hot dogs but the good dead is undone by those darn high calorie buns. Summer is right around the corner which means I'll be attending a lot of cookouts. I don't want to use this as an excuse to eat poorly and ruin all the work I've put in to lose weight/inches.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. And thanks again, @Scott_Thomas_M, for starting this thread.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm a carb junkie. Which often means high calories. I could literally live off cereal and toast and since starting my diet I've really curbed my cereal intake and the only bread I've eaten has been low calorie wheat bread (which is also tiny compared to normal sized slices)

I'm creating this thread in hopes of finding suitable low calorie replacements for things such as bread, cereal, pasta and rice (especially pasta and rice)

Personally one good bread replacement I've found have been Ryvita Crackerbread (http://www.ryvita.co.uk/products/crackerbread/wholegrain-crackerbread) unlike normal crackers/biscuits etc it doesn't crumble and fall apart when you eat it and you can generally have anything on it you would normally have on a sandwich.

I would love to find a low calorie pasta replacement as I simply love the stuff. I know moderation is key and I don't have to give up things I like I just have to have less of them but I'm always looking for a lower calorie alternative.

Some people swear by cauliflower rice.....I won't give up jasmine rice (yum).........different strokes. Mashing cauliflower with potatoes is not too bad....I'm not a huge potato fan anyway.

Personally, if I don't want to change something forever....I'm not going to change it for a diet. I've never been able to keep a weight loss off.....going back to "regular" food was part of the reason.

IIFYM ......if it fits your macros (for me).
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Spaguetti Squash, Cauliflower Rice, Zucchini Pasta.... I rather control my portions but eat the real thing.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Spaghetti squash is a decent alternative but really the best low cal "replacement" is just less pasta. One serving is typically around 200 cals.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    I've never personally tried it, but a lot of people substitute pasta with spaghetti squash. If I thought I ever needed to substitue it I would try it, but I tend to be able to fit everything in my day accordingly.

Yes, I tried spaghetti squash. It tastes great with pasta sauce and low calorie too. I seldom cook regular wheat pasta now.
  • Scott_Thomas_M
    Scott_Thomas_M Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I hadn't checked the thread because MFP hadn't given me any notifications so it was a nice surprise to see so much when I eventually had the time to check. I'll have another read over the posts and see how I get on. :)