Thin people that are never cold.

Options
2»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    feeling cold more than usual for you can be a sign that your metabolism isn't as fast as it should be (adaptive thermogenesis) - having a diet break may help with this, i.e eating at maintenance for a week or two plus having a rest week from exercise... your weight may go up in this time but it'll be water and glycogen gains.

building up your lean body mass makes a big difference. Maybe do some weight training and eat at a small surplus for a short time to build muscle, before returning to fat loss. When you do fat loss, have a conservative deficit so as not to lose lean body mass.

body proportions make a difference too, I have neanderthal body proportions (i.e. short, large framed, high lean body mass for my height) and have always been one of those people wearing just light clothing in freezing weather. Especially if I'd walked anywhere. I'd get too hot wearing a coat even in the UK winter (and I'm currently living in Bahrain and permanently too hot). But if you come across short, large framed people who seem impervious to the cold then blame neanderthal admixture. It was very interesting for me to learn this at uni, after being constantly bombared with "OMG aren't you cold??!!" every winter.... I found out why. Neanderthal body proportions lol. Look up Allen's rule for more info on that (it applies to all mammals not just humans) - these body proportions don't necessarily come from neanderthals - but if you have them you probably have at least some ancestors who lived somewhere very cold. Conversely, if you're tall and small framed then you're going to be better at withstanding the heat than the cold.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    low blood pressure and heart rate here and I feel the cold too.

This is me too. I have always had low blood pressure and heart rate and since I lost the weight I am cold all the time as well. I have always hated the cold and it effects me even more now!

When I am working out it takes me a good 45 minutes to even start heating up and/or being able to spike my heart rate. Running now is the only thing that does that.

Here is something interesting... I had a massage a few weeks ago and when she was trying to put oil on my skin she was saying that it just wouldn't absorb into my skin because I am so hydrated... I drink a ton of water. My trainer said once you are at athlete level in your training it's just hard to warm up or sweat or anything. If you don't have a lot of toxins in your body you're not going to sweat a lot either I guess.

I don't know if that has anything to do with being cold a lot but thought it was worth a mention.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This is me since losing the weight too! I have been told that fat is an insulator. Therefore explaining why people that reside in colder temperatures tend to carry a few extra pounds, e.g. Eskimos. Another example given to me (which I seldom like to reference!) is whales... they stay warm in extreme cold temps because of their "blubber"!

All that said... I just accept this as my new way of life... :-) I live in Southern Cal and even though our temps have been in the 70's and 80's as of late, I still wear a jacket and gloves to work to stay warm. And even mid afternoon I find myself donning the gloves for my bus ride home (darn public transit... those bus drivers feel compelled to turn the air conditioning on full force when it is only 68 degrees out! Go figure!).

Yeah, there might be people on the street in shorts and tank tops... yet here I am long sleeves and gloves! All is good though... I enjoy the warm temps and save $$ on air conditioning!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have been given a lot of great info already but just for the sake of conversation...I was always the fat person who was comfortable or cold but rarely hot. I wore so many layers, partly to cover myself, but I truly didn't feel uncomfortably hot and rarely broke a sweat. Most of the women my size at that time (270-300 lb) were always hot and complaining about it.

Now that I am close to healthy weight (180's) I've seen very little difference. I am still comfortable most of the time.

I do have issues though when I get reallllly cold with my fingers and toes going numb. Ugh. I guess that is super common for people with major weight loss, though, and I'm told that it often gets better with time.

My husband is a healthy weight, tall large man, some would definitely call him "thin" (wears a M/L shirt and has a flat stomach and is very active) and he is always comfortable or warm. He wears shorts like 9 or 10 months out of the year.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I love the comment about muscle helping keep you warm. It makes so much sense to me! As a teenager I would wear skirts in winter - but never with pantyhose or tights which I hated.

Now I wear skirts in winter but never without tights!

Other reason those people might be hot and thin is....drugs!

I also notice when I wear my hair up if a vent is blowing on my neck, which is common in our office and restaurants that I feel very cold and will hunch my shoulders. I've taken to wearing fashion scarves for both the look and functionality.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Id like to know if it goes away too.. I lost my weight and now I am freezing all the time!!!!! BURRRRRR!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm very slender. I weigh 100 pounds. I have a fast metabolism because I'm active, lift weights, never went on a low calorie diet. So, according to my husband, I am always very warm. I have to warm him up. He seems to be cold more often than I am. But, when I do get cold (outside in the cold, capri pants, no coat, drinking a cold drink), my teeth will chatter and my body shake (that warms me up quickly).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold. It's terrible, I'm not comfortable till it's in the 80's! Most of the thin people I know get cold easily, but not to the extent that I do.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Maybe your lacking iron??? They put me on iron tablets for a while, and a list of foods high in iron!

When I was at my skinniest, I was ALWAYS tired, and ALWAYS so cold!! I always wanted the heating on in the car, when my sister was sweating, Always having hot drinks or hot soups to warm me up!

Get your thyroid glands checked and do a blood test at your docs!!

Agree with this person. I usually feel cold but when I had anemia I was extremely cold all the time, specially my feet and hands.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm fat as hell and always cold.