Egg donation and trying to lose weight!

Options
Any females have experience being an egg donor on here?
I will be a first time egg donor within the month here and im pretty nervous, but excited! I am also trying to lose 17 pounds.... Which I lose very slowly already the way it is.

Any stories, tips, and suggestions for the process? Please no horror stories because im already committed to going through with it.
I would love to hear from someone who use gone through the process before :)

Replies

• paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    No tips stories or advice, but I think it's awesome that you're helping someone get a child who wouldn't otherwise be able to. Noone says anything negative about sperm donation... Good for you!
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I tried doing that years ago, unfortunately they have super strict rules. At the time I was too big even though I was a size 12 and I didnt have a degree.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Donating eggs help you lose weight?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This might be better in the "Chit, Chat" forum.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I tried doing that years ago, unfortunately they have super strict rules. At the time I was too big even though I was a size 12 and I didnt have a degree.

You have to have a degree?
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When you donate eggs, they are going to give you meds to stimulate your ovaries. You will most likely develop multiple follicles that will hopefully grow and contain eggs within them. At a certain size, and depending on how many follicles you develop, you will be super-bloated and feel discomfort and perhaps even pain. It's awesome that you will be an egg donor. While you are going through the process, though, maintaining a calorie deficit will be safer for you than strenuous exercise for losing weight. Walking and swimming is fine. Anything you were doing beforehand will be fine, just don't add anything new.
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When you donate eggs, they are going to give you meds to stimulate your ovaries. You will most likely develop multiple follicles that will hopefully grow and contain eggs within them. At a certain size, and depending on how many follicles you develop, you will be super-bloated and feel discomfort and perhaps even pain. It's awesome that you will be an egg donor. While you are going through the process, though, maintaining a calorie deficit will be safer for you than strenuous exercise for losing weight. Walking and swimming is fine. Anything you were doing beforehand will be fine, just don't add anything new.

Thanks for the info! Im a runner so I might have to switch to walking for a couple weeks and stick mostly to a healthy diet at a defecit. I've heard it bloats you for a couple weeks, fortunately that's temporary! Im just used to being super active so it will be a little weird. I might have to miss out on the 5k at the end of the month :/
  • laurenk08
    Options

every clinic I have researched has their own set of requirements! The one im going to requires a healthy BMI, a healthy family history, a certain age range, and a couple other things. But so far no mention about a degree! Im excited to help someone out this way though and hopefully pay for the majority of my wedding ;)
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I donated less then 2 weeks ago, still bloated and uncomfortable. My weight went up 10 pounds but it's slowly coming down. I've lost about 5 so far, but I looked like I was pregnant I was so bloated immediately after the egg retrieval.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

every clinic I have researched has their own set of requirements! The one im going to requires a healthy BMI, a healthy family history, a certain age range, and a couple other things. But so far no mention about a degree! Im excited to help someone out this way though and hopefully pay for the majority of my wedding ;)

I don't have a degree and I still donated. :)
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options

My husband and I were going to do donor eggs after failed IVF and multiple miscarriages. We tried one last time as a last ditch effort and so far so good :) What you're doing is truly amazing and you'll never know how appreciated you are to a family that has been through infertility.

With that, I recommend this website. http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

It will recommend your daily caloric intake to help you get started and is a very helpful website. You're welcome to e-mail me with any questions.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options
    I feel like I should also add this disclaimer: You will not be able to exercise while you're on hormones or for several weeks after your retrieval. But you WILL be emotional and hungry. Lol. It's for a good cause though. I put my weight loss goals aside to focus on the task at hand.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    The meds can mess up your hormones for a long time after the donation is done....but then again I hyper stimmed and it was not a fun time
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You're giving such an amazing gift! We dealt with infertility and although we didn't have to go through with IVF, we learned a lot about it and I have some very close friends who did it. You're not likely to lose any weight until awhile after the retrieval. It's actually likely that you'll gain weight, but it'll mostly be fluid.

Expect to be pretty bloated and uncomfortable approaching and for a bit after retrieval. It takes longer to recover than most women expect. I have several friends who who retrievals on a Thursday or Friday thinking they'd be back at work Monday and that didn't happen. I'd plan on taking 5 days off post retrieval and if you're up for returning sooner, great. Stock up on Gatorade and get PLENTY to drink post-retrieval. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!
  • laurenk08
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You're giving such an amazing gift! We dealt with infertility and although we didn't have to go through with IVF, we learned a lot about it and I have some very close friends who did it. You're not likely to lose any weight until awhile after the retrieval. It's actually likely that you'll gain weight, but it'll mostly be fluid.

Expect to be pretty bloated and uncomfortable approaching and for a bit after retrieval. It takes longer to recover than most women expect. I have several friends who who retrievals on a Thursday or Friday thinking they'd be back at work Monday and that didn't happen. I'd plan on taking 5 days off post retrieval and if you're up for returning sooner, great. Stock up on Gatorade and get PLENTY to drink post-retrieval. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

Thanks for the tips! Im gonna have my boss give me some work I can do at home or something I think! Wasn't expecting to take 5 days off!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    *Note that I am not in any way discouraging what you're doing or trying to convince you not to do it*

That being said haha

I considered donating eggs a few years ago... my boyfriend and I decided it was best not to do it because there wasn't much research around about the long term effects of the hormones. We compared it to fake tanning and cigarette smoking -- everyone thought it was such a great thing in the beginning and it took *years* before anyone realized what it was doing to our bodies. We were just concerned that it might harm me in the long run.

So my question is -- have you read any research on this? I haven't looked into it in almost 2 years so I don't know if there is more research out there. I'd be totally willing to do it if I knew there weren't any serious long term effects!

Good luck on your journey! Sorry I didn't have any advice!