An open letter to Doctor Oz

Options
An open letter to “Dr.” Oz.:

My whole life I have been fat. There have been ups and downs, but it always comes back to that. My whole life there have been snake oil salesmen offering me an easy fix. Two pills a day, and I can be skinny just like this mystery tribe in the Amazon nobody has heard of until this past year.

After the first couple hundred dollars I gave up. No matter how late at night I was watching TV and eating Fritos I would NOT pick up that phone. Sure, I’d spend the rest of the night dreaming that there was a pill out there, and I could forget about the work I would surely have to do to get rid of this weight that went on so enjoyably.

And then you came along. So charming and engaging. You were on TV. Oh, you didn’t start off as a salesman I’m sure. I remember watching you as you progressed. You started off with interesting facts about my body. You had engaging visual aids. Every show wasn’t about a new magical weight loss cure.

This letter won’t affect you in any way, I’m sure you sleep like a baby at night, most likely on 1800 count Egyptian cotton sheets. But I want to explain to you the effect you have on people like me. And I want to explain what Gross Moral Turpitude is Sir. Because unlike the person you seem to think I am, I am fat, NOT stupid.

What you do when you pitch these quick fixes from your pedestal of trust is steal time. The time I spend researching your raspberry ketones or your garcinia cambogia is time I could be researching valid exercise programs or planning my meals for the week. You rob me of my ability to think for myself. You fill my head with hope that has zero chance of being fulfilled. I am a smart woman, but I am still human, and oh, don’t you work that angle.

Gross Moral Turpitude: conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals.

When you were first offered that contract to push raspberry ketones and have your face plastered all over the internet, did you have a qualm of guilt? I’m genuinely curious. When you see your face all over Facebook “informing” us of the “latest wait loss brekthrough!!!!” [misspelling intentional] do you pause for a moment?

You have broken every rule of good morals, and you actively hurt and dismiss the community you preach to so convincingly. For make no mistake-at this point you are less a doctor and more a preacher.

In a country that has so many lawsuits, I'm not sure why you haven't been targeted yet, but I cheer the day. The harm you cause, is long lasting.

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I think he started off meaning well, and it's not like he personally needs the money, given that he's a highly successful surgeon. Nor is he stupid, obviously. But somehow his show has been hijacked and turned into a sideshow. Every once in awhile something interesting gets said, but it's drowned out by the sales pitch for the latest fad. It's sad, really.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjjye3y4WQ1s2zadpo1_1280.jpg

Also, well said OP. Well said.

Feel free to join this group...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21066-oz-sux
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I think he started off meaning well, and it's not like he personally needs the money, given that he's a highly successful surgeon. Nor is he stupid, obviously. But somehow his show has been hijacked and turned into a sideshow. Every once in awhile something interesting gets said, but it's drowned out by the sales pitch for the latest fad. It's sad, really.

Highly successful surgeons make a few hundred thousand dollars a year, not the millions he is making now.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Wait...you mean this ISN"T TRUE???? But it's in a magazine!

ww2.jpg
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

ww2.jpg

I'd like to throat punch him for this alone!!!
  • satisfyingmyinnerfatkid
    Options

ww2.jpg

How dare you crush my dreams! HAHAHA :-)
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    VERY good letter! :heart:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I can't even BELIEVE I forgot the magazines! My favorite is that it's the same cover every week. Weight loss fad in 72 pt bold Arial, and glorious full colour photos of a dessert.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Well said! Snake oil salesman for sure!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Luckily I had enough common sense to not even bother with him in the first place.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't know what happened to Dr. Oz. he could have used his platform for education, but he is a salesman, and not a good one. He changes his product daily. I like The doctors better,
  • cdpollreis
    cdpollreis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Well said!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Highly successful surgeons make a few hundred thousand dollars a year, not the millions he is making now.

Fair enough. He could have done a few shows and still quit while he had his reputation intact if upper middle class wasn't good enough for him, though.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Great letter
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

ww2.jpg

This magazine cracks me up too, every issue has a miracle diet right next to some decadent dessert
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I do not like Dr. Oz, i do think he pitches quick fixes and spreads fear through his show. However, he does not actually endorse products you see him attached to onlin, and the facebook ads are also using him without his consent. He often states this on his show or in interviews, he does not sell supplements, and the ads will use any face that sells.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mxq20wBrlj1qjwka0.gif
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    AwesomeBillMurray_zpsdfebdc7d.jpg

I say we make this go viral.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Fair enough. He could have done a few shows and still quit while he had his reputation intact if upper middle class wasn't good enough for him, though.

Agreed :)