fitbit

Options
Hi all,

Im looking for a motivational tool to help me start with exercise. I have a knee injury and cant go running just yet! Ive come across a review for fitbit and think it could be just the tool!

If you have one, what do you think of it, and which model do you own.

thanks guys

Replies

• viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    a fitbit flex!

it is my best friend in the world. it makes me more accountable. I wear it literally every day, all day, and overnight. the band might have bothered my wrist a little at first, but I'm used to it now.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I literally just got one today! I chose the fitbit "One" because it seemed like a good middle of the road option. I got it set up, which was very easy to do, and synced to MFP which was also very easy to do. Now, I just gotta go be active!! haha
  • jstockler
    jstockler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had the fitbit zip since the beginning of January and I love it. I even stayed up late one night going on the treadmill for 15 more minutes just to cross the 20K step badge!!! I hook it my bra and that way I don't lose it and am not likely to throw it in the wash by accident since it is hot pink.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I've had the fitbit zip since the beginning of January and I love it. I even stayed up late one night going on the treadmill for 15 more minutes just to cross the 20K step badge!!! I hook it my bra and that way I don't lose it and am not likely to throw it in the wash by accident since it is hot pink.

Me too! I have gotten a lot more steps because of friendly competition between some other people and me. Although I don't know most of the people on my Fitbit list, I'm still just competitive enough to want to at least match their steps.
  • jennable
    jennable Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra. Bought it two years ago. LOVE it! They have actually sent me two replacements free of charge. (Both times it was my fault it was broken). I wear mine all the time except when I am sleeping.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have had the fitbit one for about 2 weeks now.
    I clip it to my bra and just do my thing. The leader board keeps me motivated (I have a competitive streak). I had the jawbone up for about 5 days and took it back because I just couldn't stand wearing the bracelet and fitbit's app is much nicer.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I have the flex, and until I got it I was super super sedentary. I would go to the gym in the morning but after that nothing - I wore it when I first got it and had a "regular" day and honestly it was not surprising why my *kitten* is the size it is - I had 3000 steps by 4pm.
  • eemitchell1984
    eemitchell1984 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex. i have it synced up with both MFP and RunKeeper. There is a learning curve- but there are a lot of awesome forums on here with great informaiton and really supportive and knowledgable members. I love my flex. It truly keeps me in check. There are a lot of other devices out there that probobly track a lot more than that fitbits do like heartrate etc. It really depends on how much detail you will be looking at when it comes to your daily activities. For me, it is a great motivational tool and i've become quite fond of it. Being able to sync it with other apps is awesome too.
  • trish07tx
    trish07tx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just got mine Tuesday night and I must agree with the others when I say it opens your eyes to how much you are really moving and makes you want to hit the target. That being said you indicated you had a knee injury and could not run yet? Fitbit primarily tracks your steps (like walking, elliptical, running) so if you are doing stationary bike, lifting or some other non step related excercise it is not neccesarily anymore helpful than logging on directly to MFP.
  • eemitchell1984
    eemitchell1984 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    oh- on chosing your fitbit device - i chose the flex because im very absent minded and forgetful. It would be far to easy for me to forget to clip on a device that is worn as an attachment to a clothing article. my flex stays with me all the time- its shower-friendly, and it records my sleep. I LOVE THE SILENT ALARM! its not the most attractive thing ever - but Tory Burch is in the process of developing more fashionable fitbit flex bands so it looks like good things are coming!

ps - my step-mom had the one that you clip to your clothing. she kept it cliped to her bra... and it ended up being thrown in the washing machine. she got it replaced, and discovered today that at some point it came off of her bra and is lost. just something to keep in mind...
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have had the fitbit force since last November. I love it as it was a huge motivator for me and I give it a lot of credit for the number on the ticker below. Just keep in mind, as with any fitness gadget, it is a tool, not the end all be all. In my opinion, well worth the money.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had an Ultra, which I lost in Valencia, since then I've had a One, which I have used for nearly 2 years now. Just had a replacement clip free of charge when the original broke.

I've found it a great tool. Occasional problems with the sync to MFP, but nothing too dramatic. I post food to MFP, exercise to Fitbit, and all seems to work reasonably well. The only slight oddity is that MFP seems to use a different basic metabolic rate, even if you set your own, but it's not made any noticeable difference to me.

In summary, get one, and you'll never look back. As for model, unless you want to see numbers all the time go for the Flex ... You never need to take it off;)
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've had the FitBit One for 6 months now, and I LOVE it. Like you I'm getting over an injury (fractured hip) that put me on crutches for 10 weeks. Being able to get back up to my step and stairs goals was really fun for me. It encourages me to park further, take the extra steps, etc.

I'm hoping my orthopedist releases me to run this week! Hoping to increase my goal steps from 10,000 to 13,000 very soon :)
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

LOL, I've done this too....gotta hit that mark! As a motivational tool, it's pretty awesome. I take the calorie count with a grain of salt, but it definitely gets me moving. I have the zip, but I kinda have buyers remorse and wish I'd gotten the one up. Zip doesn't track elevation and I quite regularly climb this 200 ft sand dune near my house but don't get any extra credit for it. :noway:
  • alaskaengineer
    alaskaengineer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit One for about a year now. It stays in my pocket wherever I go. People sometimes ask me why not just get a cheap pedometer - I tell them it's because the Fitbit tells me so much more! I love that it counts my steps, daily calories, miles walked, stairs climbed, etc etc. I find that is it quite accurate on stairs especially. My Fitbit has definately been a very good motivational tool in that it tells me if I've been active enough or not. The graphs that it creates on my online profile are very useful and easy to read as well. Did I mention it tracks your sleep too? Super awesome tool and you'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner!!!

Hope this helps you in your journey.
  • Bubbsterd
    Bubbsterd Posts: 1
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Zip this week & I already love it! Just clip it in my pocket & off I go! I catch myself walking a lot more now. I'm amazed at how little I was exercising...
  • garrods
    garrods Posts: 6
    Options
    I have had my flex for about 2 months now and have woren it everyday since, I love it!!! I got it at first because i was just really curious as to how many steps I took on a average day at work. i am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts. I can get 10000 easy at work. But it has made me painfully aware just how much I like to sit when I am not working. So it has been a great motivation for me. Would highly recommend to anyone.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex & I absolutely love it! The only time I take it off is to charge it. I don't even know it's there. It is one of my motivators & I think I would be lost without it now. I also love the fact that it syncs up with MFP. I got mine for $20.00 less getting it on ebay. If I ever have a problem with it fitbit will still deal with it. Good luck in your decision.
  • Chriscut7163
    Options
    thanks guys, great response, i will be getting my fitbit one soon :)
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and absolutely love it!!!