I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hi again!
    I saw that you noted whey as a protein source and a relatively cost effective one.
    Can you elaborate on where to buy it, what brands, what to look for on the package, what to do with it?
    I've had it in those Naked Protein drinks and really liked it, and it felt great, but those drinks are 400+ calories and $4 a bottle...

Thanks!
    I prefer Cellucor protein based on taste and mixibility. I check various websites as it usually goes on sale. Bodybuilding.com often does buy 2 get 1 free deals. You can buy it directly from cellucor.com but it often costs more. They do however do 25 for 50 groupons often. If you can't tell, I'm a bargain hunter. There are plenty of other high quality brands. Elite, MTS, Optimum nutrition to name a few. When picking out a protein powder I look for one that has around 120-130 calories a serving. It should contain mostly protein with 1 or 2 grams of fat and a few grams of carbs at most. I also rarely drink the protein in shake form. I cook with it, mix it with greek yogurt, add it to cereal, etc..
    ive got a question...im finding it very difficult to increase my weight lifted at all during weight loss. been at an 1100 calorie deficit for awhile now, and suspect that may be involved, but i havent been able to increase my weights for a month and a half now. sometimes i even have to scale back a plate or two on machines to finish my last set. my gym does not have. many free weights, mostly machines, so while 5x5 interests me i dint have the equipment to do it.

should i just expect to have to wait until in done losing weight and start eating at or above maint before i can really build strenght?
    Strength will begin to stall on a cut or it will start to move very slowly. The longer you cut, the harder it will be to gain strength. If you are forced into using machines, heres a tip. Use a rep range instead of a single number. For example, do 3 set of 8-12 reps. Once you get all 3 sets of all 12 reps, you move up in weight then shoot for 3 sets of 8. Your gains might only be adding a rep or 2 a week. Once you eventually get from 3x8 to 3x12, you increase weight and go back to the lower rep range.
    I may have just missed it while reading through all the pages, but over what time frame did your 110lb loss occur?
    The first 100 took about a year.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!! amazing work! :noway: that's dedication!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are truly a motivation!
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Any loose skin issues associated with your weight loss? Did you prepare for potential loose skin while you transformed? Any advice, comments much appreciated.
  • jelie3110
    jelie3110 Posts: 433
    Options
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!
    amazing!!!!
  • vismal
    Options
    Great thread and congrats on all of your success! II started my journey at 290lbs and am currently down to 247. My goal is around 190. I am 42 years old.

My question is in regards to lifting. When I hit my goal of about 190 I want to start trying to put on muscle mass. I currently lift weights but I understand that I cannot build mass while on a deficit and the lifting at this stage is only so my body doesn't burn my muscle mass. I'm of average size right now, slightly muscular but definitely not huge. I lifted weights in my teens and 20's but from there on I didnt do much up until about a year ago when I began my weight loss journey.

When I hit my goal how much should I increase my calorie intake and for how long? weeks or months? I'm currently on a 1000 cal a day deficit and eat about 2600 cals a day. As I get closer to my goal my cal intake should be around 2000 taking in consideration recalculating my TDEE as my weight drops. I dont want to gain too much weight and erase my months of progress. Thats a bit scary to think about happening but I want to get more muscle mass.

I was watching a great new bodybuilding documentary called Generation Iron and some of the bodybuilders said they eat well over 7000 cals a day to bulk up. I understand that a professional bodybuilders diet to gain mass will be different than an ordinary person who wants to make quality mass gains. In your opinion what would be a respectable caloric increase to build mass once I hit my goal? Also should I slowly increase my calories or jump all in at once?

Thanks!
    Ahh the first bulk.. It scared the hell out of me to actually set a goal of gaining weight. I had worked so hard and the simply though of ruining all that work was horrifying. Fear not though, when executed correctly you can gain quality mass while keeping fat gains minimal. 1st you must except that you will gain some fat, albeit a small amount. But that's fine because at that point you should be pretty darn good at losing fat! The key to keeping lean while bulking is to GO SLOW! I cannot tell you exactly how many calories you will need. But you can figure it out through trial and error. First, whatever your calories are set at when you stop losing fat, add 500 to that. Give it two weeks, a month even if you have been dieting for a long time. You will gain some weight at that point but it's not fat, it's water and glycogen. Don't worry about it. After that initial water weight ceases you want to slowly add about 100 calories to your daily total each week until you get to a point where you are gaining around 0.5 lbs a week. That's the magic rate of gain that seems to keep the muscle coming but the fat at bay. Bulking is SLOW. I personally don't bulk for less then 4 months at a time and prefer to go for 6. You might find your weight stalling from time to time. If 2 weeks go by with no increase in weight, add in another 100 calories. I usually start my bulks at 3300 calories and end up eating 3500 to 4000 by the time the bulk is through. The other important thing is to train HARD. Your strength should be increases. You need to increase the weights you lift over time. That's the key to gaining mass. If you do the same weights for the same reps every time you train, you will not gain strength. Keep pushing the weights up any chance you get (but form most also remain good. It's not a true weight increase if form decreases). I guess that's bulking 101! Enjoy the extra calories!
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Wow, great losses and gains! Thanks for sharing and being willing to give such candid answers. I think people have already asked the questions I had for you, but thanks for answering them!
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Do you continue to do cardio?
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look awesome!
  • vismal
    Options
    I love you. In a platonic admiration way. I think it's so important to be helpful and kind while you post here, and I appreciate your help. Here are some of my observations: correct me if I am wrong...

If you are new to weight lifting and are on a deficit, you can build mass if you are very overweight. You have to be eating protein and watching your macros (Gnc has a good supplement shake) but it is possible.

I agree that anyone on a weight loss regime should do strength training from day one! I am using resistance bands because I can't afford a gym or free weights. I also got some kettlebells. I can barely lift 10 pounds, but I'm trying. And women can benefit too. You won't bulk up like the Hulk unless you really really try.

I take supplements like Taurine and L-Argine and a pill specifically designed with amino acids. I can't stress enough the benefit of a healthy fat like Fish Oil with Omega 3. I've also become an avid label reader and avoid any trans fat or hydrogenated crap (oil mixed with a metal like aluminum! Yuck! )

My friends use a website called A Workout Routine because the guy gives good advice. Have you checked it out? I was told that if you can do 20 reps at a certain weight with no problem, it's time to add weight. Maybe you'll do less reps but its better.

My personal journey is a bit rocky. I'm not losing as fast as my 300 pound counterparts, and it's frustrating. But I feel better and I think I'm shrinking. How can I rock that weight loss? Do you recommend more exercises or no carbs and sugar?

You look great dear, and I know you're feeling purpose driven!
    I agree, start lifting right from the get go. Obese individuals and newbies to training can gain a little mass when they first start lifting. People blow WAY out of proportion how much mass that is. I wouldn't even worry about it. Focus on strength. I agree that lifting does not make women bulky. Steroids do. Most women couldn't look "hulk" like if they poured their hearts and souls into it. That requires the use of PED's so there's no reason to fear lifting! Transfats might be the only thing I try to avoid completely. They are unnecessary and should be banned outright. I am a big believer in moderation but transfats should be avoided completely. Manipulating carbs or sugar will not help with weight loss. The only way to lose weight quicker is to either burn more calories, consume less calories, or both. People who have success with low carb do so simply because it allowed them to cut more overall calories. If you feel like your calories are already low, always check over how accurate they are tracked. Food should be weighed on a scale not in cups or tablespoons. Those are meant for liquids. Track everything you eat, every day. I would bet all the money I had that all the people who post about eating 1200 calories and not losing weight are eating WAY more then that but simply tracking incorrectly.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    wow congrats! good work!
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Moisturize and exfoliate. It helps a little. The 2 biggest things that help with lose skin are lifting to preserve/gain lean mass, and time. My skin is almost completely recovered at this point. It is still not tight and probably never will be but the hang is virtually invisible unless I am in a push up position. So as long as I don't do push ups at the beach I'm good...lol

But you are correct, fit with loose skin looks and feels better then fat. It's also worlds healthier. With cloths on you can't notice at all!

Dude, where is this loose skin you speak of??? If I didn't see the before picture, I'd say you were born this way, lol. Great job! You look awesome. I will be reading on for all of your advice in this thread.
  • vismal
    Options
    hello! i have lost every fat in my body except my belly fat. i play basketball most of the time. i have a set of dumbbells at home. about a week now started visiting the gym and starting lifting. but how do i get rid of the belly fat? i am starting to get frustrated. i've been doing this routine for a year now.
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce fat. Anyone who claims to have a workout or product that can do this is LYING or misinformed. It's mostly genetic where fat comes off first. For most people the belly, especially the lower abdominal area is the last place for fat to go. You must simply continue losing fat until it eventually drops from the area of concern. Also you must have realistic goals. At my absolute leanest I can still pinch an inch on my love handles...
    additional info, ( sorry for flooding you guys)
    started a diet plan when i discovered that you can track your calories easily with MFP. that's only about a week now. and feel it will be a big change for me.
    If your goal is to lose fat you simply need to track everything you eat, and reduce calories when weight loss stalls. I would lift heavy weights to help maintain muscle as you lose the weight. That's all you need to do!

Have you noticed any significant differences when you polish your ol fella?
    We're all adults here so I can answer this honestly. As far as that department is concerned, at my heaviest my sexual function was lackluster at best. Things in that depart fire on all cylinders will a trubocharger now! Also, the fat covering that area can prevent men from looking as big as they actually are. I was pleasantly surprised at the extra length that was revealed :) If that isn't an incentive to lose weight, I don't know what is!
  • vismal
    Options
    Any loose skin issues associated with your weight loss? Did you prepare for potential loose skin while you transformed? Any advice, comments much appreciated.
    It was worse after the initial loss. It is barely noticeable now. Lifting weights while losing weight and then gaining muscle after the weight has been lost both help. Apart from that time is a big help to. Each year my skin tightens more and more. I always told myself I'd rather be healthy with loose skin then fat without it.
    Congratulations. Do you continue to do cardio?
    I do very little traditional cardio. Almost none when I'm in a muscle building phase. This is mostly because I do not enjoy it. That being said, I live an active lifestyle. I love hiking, going on long walks, things like that. I can't stand going the gym and doing a stationary bike or elliptical though. This is why my maintenance calories drop so much during long, cold, ohio winters.

Dude, where is this loose skin you speak of??? If I didn't see the before picture, I'd say you were born this way, lol. Great job! You look awesome. I will be reading on for all of your advice in this thread.
    It's not so much that my skin hangs, but it isn't tight. You can see it more if I bend over or are in push up position. It's really mild though. It's one of those things you notice that most other people don't.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Awsome work man! Im also 6'1", was 250 and now down to 195. I still have the annoying midsection fat im trying to lose. Otherwise im looking pretty skinny now. I recently friended someone else who recomended the stronglift 5x5, im realy hoping I can eventually get your results.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One thing I've admittedly wondered about getting THAT low in bodyfat (to the 10% level) is does it affect your ability to do long endurance activities.

I like to hike. I like to backpack. I have been known to go on several week long backpacking trips covering close to 200 miles. In my experience doing that I tend to lose about 8 pounds of fat on a 14 day trip simply because my TDEE is something like 5500 calories hiking 15 mile days with a pack over elevation.

My concern would be if I ever was down to 10% bodyfat would I even be able to do that anymore? With my current build if I were to be 10% bodyfat I don't think I'd have 8 pounds of fat to lose at which point I'd wonder if I would just flat out run out of steam 10 days in no matter how "fit" I was.

Have you ever done long-term endurance type exercise while being at 10% or lower bodyfat? Is there a percent bodyfat at which you might look good aesthetically but functionally you are actually at a lower endurance?
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Was it difficult losing the last 15lbs to become so cut and lean like you? I guess you have lucky genetics to have turned out so amazing looking. Many other people who lose that much are left with wrinkly skin that prevents them from looking lean. Looking at you now, I can't even see signs of you being formerly obese. That's rare.
  • vismal
    Options
    Awsome work man! Im also 6'1", was 250 and now down to 195. I still have the annoying midsection fat im trying to lose. Otherwise im looking pretty skinny now. I recently friended someone else who recomended the stronglift 5x5, im realy hoping I can eventually get your results.
    Stronglifts is a great 5x5 to use. I also like the ice cream fitness 5x5.
    One thing I've admittedly wondered about getting THAT low in bodyfat (to the 10% level) is does it affect your ability to do long endurance activities.

I like to hike. I like to backpack. I have been known to go on several week long backpacking trips covering close to 200 miles. In my experience doing that I tend to lose about 8 pounds of fat on a 14 day trip simply because my TDEE is something like 5500 calories hiking 15 mile days with a pack over elevation.

My concern would be if I ever was down to 10% bodyfat would I even be able to do that anymore? With my current build if I were to be 10% bodyfat I don't think I'd have 8 pounds of fat to lose at which point I'd wonder if I would just flat out run out of steam 10 days in no matter how "fit" I was.

Have you ever done long-term endurance type exercise while being at 10% or lower bodyfat? Is there a percent bodyfat at which you might look good aesthetically but functionally you are actually at a lower endurance?
    Tough for me to comment as I never did anything that extreme as far as endurance training goes. My guess is that you would be fine providing you kept calories high during the hiking trips. I would pack as much calorie dense food as possible and try and eat as much as you can while still be able to perform. 10% body fat seems to be a happy spot. Getting any leaner is going to cause lots of issues with performance but I think if you stick in the 9-12 % range you should still be able to achieve optimal performance.
    Was it difficult losing the last 15lbs to become so cut and lean like you? I guess you have lucky genetics to have turned out so amazing looking. Many other people who lose that much are left with wrinkly skin that prevents them from looking lean. Looking at you now, I can't even see signs of you being formerly obese. That's rare.
    The last 15 lbs probably took 4 months or so to lose. It was very slow. Lifting weights helped with my skin as did the muscle building phases I did along the way. I also carried my weight evenly when I was fat. I know some obese folks have small arms, small legs, and a huge gut. When they lose lots of weight the skin around their abdomen and love handles can hang quite severely My fat was pretty evenly dispersed so I'm sure that helped.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread. Not one negative comment from Viamal all the way through, that has to be a first on this site.

You should be an inspiration to every one that wants to get lean, you have shown that t can be done without the magic pill or snake oil.
    I read quite a lot by Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon regarding nutrition, I use body building.com for training tips.

Do you have anyone that inspired you, nutrition or training regime wise?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!