Replies

• AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No questioning, just ogling :love:
  • rgilsenan1
    rgilsenan1 Posts: 6
    Options
    5x5 training is a method of training that has you doing 5 sets of 5 reps for your heavy compounds like bench, squat, rows, etc. There are several programs out there. The "Ice Cream Fitness 5x5" is my favorite. Google it if you want to check it out. Stronglifts 5x5 is another.

ICF 5x5 this guy knows what hes talking about
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    another question

What are your goals from here?
    weight
    lifting
    fitness
    etc
  • seehowyousoar
    seehowyousoar Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Home workouts won't really compare to using barbells and dumbbells. Do you have a YMCA around you? Many of them have a policy to never turn people away due to cost. They will work with you. My buddy was allowed to join for 5 bucks a month.

Thanks for your reply!
    Unfortunately I live in Croatia, so we have no such things here, I might be wrong but I highly doubt it...
    Gym membership here is around 40$ for 3 days/week access, and sadly I can't spare that much. :(
    But I guess it's time to start saving up!
    Thank you again, I appreciate it. :)
  • NadiaJalal1999
    NadiaJalal1999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having big issues with getting rid of my extra stomach fat. How did you get results?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm having big issues with getting rid of my extra stomach fat. How did you get results?

(I'm not OP, but I bet I know what he'll say: by losing fat from all over. Where you lose fat first and last is entirely genetics. All fat is lost in a deficit...so if you still have fat somewhere (like your stomach), then you simply need to continue at an appropriate deficit for an appropriate amount of time. Okay, now I'll stop stepping on his thread and let him say what he wants to say. [kanyeimmaletyoufinish.gif])

ETA: this is advice is for grown adults and not growing kids. Just saying in case there was any possible confusion or before my advice happens to be misused by the latter.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You are very inspiring and wise.
    I have a few questions.

1. Did you eat at a caloric deficit? I want to lose 10 lbs but more than that I want to be fit and strong. I am doing The New Rules of Lifting For Women and plan to switch to 5x5 after I'm done. I am unsure my daily calorie goal is correct. I feel pretty good about it but wanted to hear from someone who managed to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

2. How much can you lift now for squats and deadlifts? Just curious.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I starting lifting maybe 6 months into my weight loss. Originally it was just diet and running. I wish I would have started lifting from the get go though. That would be what I consider my number 1 mistake. As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again. I currently do a upper/lower 4 day a week split for intermediate lifters.

Are you doing strong lifts 5x5? that's what i just started after 6 weeks of insanity...
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on your huge success!!! :drinker:

I hope to lose my last 10-15 lbs soon, but after reaching my goal weight I would like to build more muscle.

Would you recommend lifting to a female (I've always thought of it as a "guy thing")?
    Is it the best way to get stronger muscles and maintain them?
    I'm still recovering from what might have been tendonitis/tennis elbow/shoulder/nerve injury in one of my arms (doctors' opinions vary on what it actually is), is lifting likely to aggravate it?

Thanks! I'm sticking around to read all your other answers. They have been very informative and inspiring! :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    So many great questions. I'm at work now but I'll answer them all tomorrow (I work nights). Just an FYI, my bmi at 6'1 315lb would have been 41.6. Morbid obesity is usually considered a bmi > 40, depending on what source you use.
  • Frogtalk
    Frogtalk Posts: 10
    Options
    You don't want to stay at 1200 calories.. that puts the body into starvation mode, and it will hang on to all the fat it can. Have MFP figure out what your MBR is for a day, then subtract 500 calories or so from that. That should give you a weight loss projection of a pound a week, which is very doable. If your body is used to eating 3000 calories, going to 1200 will shock it in bad ways.
  • Frogtalk
    Options
    Try picking up some free weights (I know WalMart carries them, I don't know if a dept store in Croatia would) and use those. You could spend maybe a months worth of gym time total, and have the weights for a much longer time.
  • Frogtalk
    Options
    You can lift :) My fitness class has a program of 30 minutes of cardio (about 14 min "normal" pace and 16 minutes of kill yourself sprinting), plus a weight program for 15 minutes, then 10 of stretching. Obviously with that little time on weights, I can't' work every area, but I am working on shoulder /chest, back, quads, and hamstring ATM. The instructor changes up the weights every few months, so by the end of the year, I have covered most of my main areas.

I am gaining muscle and losing body fat, so the scale hasn't moved in like 20 months. BUT, I do have someone measure me every so often, and as of my last measuring from Oct 3 to Mar 19, I lost 4 inches off my body :) So don't be scale obsessed if you want to gain muscle. Muscle is more dense and heavier than fat, so the scale won't budge for a while.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You look amazing wow...I'm sure I will have lots of questions to ask you later lol.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure I seen you on bodybulding.com. Checked out a youtube vid even. Pretty sure its you, lol. If not, either way an amazing transformation and dedication!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Wow good job :-)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say congratulations on your success and that you look AMAZING!!! Very inspirational! Thank you for sharing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ur awesome. That is all.

ETA: Oh I forgot we are supposed to ask a question. I do have one. How does it feel to look like a f'king Adonis?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!