I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Replies

• ms_lindsay
    ms_lindsay Posts: 22 Member
    Holy Amazing, congratulations! I do have a question. This week I started weight lifting 3 x a week ( i can't do anymore that that with my kids/schedule). I also run with a double stroller 3x a week, HIIT 2x week and Yoga a few times as well. I recently finished a program where my calories were quite low, I wasn't doing any weight training, just intense cardio, I have lost about 50lbs since having my kids and now I am down to the last 5-10lbs and also wanting to get stronger, biggest trouble spot is my low belly fat and loose skin. My confusion lies with how much I should actually be eating now that I am also doing weight training.

As of today my MFP is set to 1700 after using a calorie calculator on Scooby's workshop. This is more than I have been eating, but I am not sure if it's enough/too much? Just hoping for a little advice, Im pretty new to calorie counting and brand new to weight training = overwhelmed!
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    What Equiptment did you use? If you could talk to me as if I am stupid as I am unsure about all the different stuff. CHeers
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    bump to read more answers later!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    WOW! You look amazing!!!
    On-topic question: how long did it take for you to actually see results? And at what point were you comfortable eating "treats" and not feel guilty about it? (I feel like when I'm eating treats, I let myself down, because it doesn't add up to my goal)
    I started to see results about 2 months after starting. Nothing big, just jeans were loose and my belly wasn't as big. I feel like 6-8 weeks is what it takes to see a noticable difference with no clothes on. 12 weeks to see a difference with them on.
    Hey
    I want to loose 40 lbs... I m beginner with this app
    I can't go to gym
    But usually.for my exercise I either play 1 hour badminton or 1 hour walk
    With 1200 calories a day and this much exercise can I achieve my goal?
    If yes how much time?
    If no then plz suggest something
    Need more info. Male or Female, current weight and height. Even with all the info telling you how long it will take to reach your goal is impossible. Too many variables.
    Good to see you Vismal.

To everyone out there Vismal is one of the smartest people I know out there. His advice is always on point and if he is here to offer his help then you'd be crazy to not jump all over it. His dedication to this game is unquestionably top of the line.
    Thanks bro. Good to see some knowledgeable people over on this board too! I would say the same about Mr. M as he said about me!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    No questions, just HELLLLLLOooooooo you look great!
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Fantastic transformation!
  • jmsspr93
    Did you stop losing when you started using weights? As Ive been successful for 4 months losing 55 odd lbs and am wandering what the immediate effect will be if I lift
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Holy Amazing, congratulations! I do have a question. This week I started weight lifting 3 x a week ( i can't do anymore that that with my kids/schedule). I also run with a double stroller 3x a week, HIIT 2x week and Yoga a few times as well. I recently finished a program where my calories were quite low, I wasn't doing any weight training, just intense cardio, I have lost about 50lbs since having my kids and now I am down to the last 5-10lbs and also wanting to get stronger, biggest trouble spot is my low belly fat and loose skin. My confusion lies with how much I should actually be eating now that I am also doing weight training.

As of today my MFP is set to 1700 after using a calorie calculator on Scooby's workshop. This is more than I have been eating, but I am not sure if it's enough/too much? Just hoping for a little advice, Im pretty new to calorie counting and brand new to weight training = overwhelmed!
    Is your current (immediate) goal to lose the last 5-10 lbs or gain muscle? You can't do both at once and the answer is dependent on which you choose.
    What Equiptment did you use? If you could talk to me as if I am stupid as I am unsure about all the different stuff. CHeers
    All you need is the stuff at a basic gym. Set of dumbbells, an olympic barbell, a squat rack. You can get anything you need done with just that. You can do it with less if circumstances require it.
  • jmsspr93
    All you need is the stuff at a basic gym. Set of dumbbells, an olympic barbell, a squat rack. You can get anything you need done with just that. You can do it with less if circumstances require it.
    [/quote]

But if I were to purchase it what weights etc? Is it the ones with a bar which you lift or hand lifts I literally have no idea and cant seem to find the answers online. I obviously will need a bench press but what else cheers
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Do you think that if you had been lifting from the beginning your skin may have stayed tighter???

Did you have any stretch marks at the beginning?? If so, how have they changed??
  • seehowyousoar
    seehowyousoar Posts: 60 Member
    You look so so so great!! Great job on your progress, you are absolutely amazing!
    My jaw literally dropped when I saw this, haha

Anyway - I have ~100 more lbs to lose. I'm super scared of loose skin, and I saw you said heavy lifting helps?
    The thing is, I unfortunately don't have enough money for gym membership, and I only have 2lb dumbbells at home. :P Are there other exercises that I could do at home, maybe work out using my own body weight?

Thanks in advance! Amazing job once again!
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Inspiring! :flowerforyou:
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    No questions. You look awesome, congratulations, your replies have been illuminating.

Thank you for taking the time :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I starting lifting maybe 6 months into my weight loss. Originally it was just diet and running. I wish I would have started lifting from the get go though. That would be what I consider my number 1 mistake. As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again. I currently do a upper/lower 4 day a week split for intermediate lifters.

(I approve of ^this message. :drinker: )

Sounds like although you had a couple of things you would do differently, you still generally had the right ideas.

Congrats on your transformation. Well done.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I starting lifting maybe 6 months into my weight loss. Originally it was just diet and running. I wish I would have started lifting from the get go though. That would be what I consider my number 1 mistake. As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again. I currently do a upper/lower 4 day a week split for intermediate lifters.

(I approve of ^this message. :drinker: )

Sounds like although you had a couple of things you would do differently, you still generally had the right ideas.

Congrats on your transformation. Well done.

Great advice for the new lifters. Lifting is the way to go! Keep it up, sir.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!