Girls - dealing with food cravings during periods?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Either have a cheat day where you ignore your calorie goal and eat your craving or try an alternative. Chocolate is my craving so I have alpro soya chocolate desserts (110 calories each) twice in a day and if I'm feeling bad I just eat what I want and ignore the calories goal for that day.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat well the first couple of days. I think my body tends toward the starches and carbs. I have to fight myself to eat healthy.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the good quality dark chocolate to stomp out sugar cravings. Also really sweet fruit like Pink Lady apples and frozen green grapes work too.

For carb cravings, natural popcorn

For savoury/salt cravings, I usually eat half a cup of Pace chunky salsa lol
  • chrinsky
    chrinsky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The last few days of my PMS and first few days of my period, I usually give in to my cravings. I eat so well every other day of the month and work out 4-5X per week, that honestly I don't feel guilty giving into my crazy womanly cravings. If you're doing well (eating right, counting calories, working out) MOST of the time (and I really do mean MOST), it's OK to give in to your cravings every now and again. Don't beat yourself up over it. If what you're craving is *really* bad, just eat smaller portion? That way you're still satisfying your craving, but being conscientious about it.
  • channy04
    Options
    I too usually eat it, although I will try to control portion size.
    For sweets cravings, which is usually what it is, I will eat a handful of peanut butter M&Ms and thats all I will allow myself. Or I will go to the local make your own yogurt place and be sure to only put fruit on the toppings.

For the occasional salty cravings, I eat salted almonds or some low fat butter popcorn, it seems to do the trick for me! But I am one of those people who if I deny myself, will go and eat an entire bag of something in secret. So moderation seems to be the key for me!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    depends on my mood and willpower level whether i say F it and cave in to my desires.. but i crave sweets like nobody's business during that time of the month..its an awful feeling too because i never could understand it . if i see it coming i try to brace myself, hold up my bootstraps and fight the war and just ride the tidal wave till that time frame is over.
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    Just eat it in moderation! :) Better than binging!
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    I still struggle with this.. If I am having a salty craving, it's not too bad. Basically just chips. However; if I am having sweet craviings, I am in a world of trouble. That means candy bars, ice cream, soda's , cupcakes, etc Recently, I've been trying to do grapes for the sweet cravings.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible ice cream addiction, and when I'm stressed or on my period I crave it more than ever. And I eat it. To be honest, I usually don't even log it. Not necessarily recommending that for others, but that's what I've been doing and I'm still losing. I think it's because most days, I log every single thing I put in my mouth and I always end up under my calorie goal. So a few days a month of enjoying ice cream without bothering to log isn't going to ruin anything.
  • TheEput
    TheEput Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recall one of my health teachers in school saying that is was actually possible that when you are on your period, and you gain weight that it is not like normal gaining weight - so don't be alarmed. It will come off easily.
    Also- I usually exercise super well on my period so I try to use that to my advantage.

I never worry during that time about eating that much. It's like you body saying to take a break :)
    Probably because if you didn't, then your emotions would drive you crazy, and all just over a little bit of food.

Enjoy yourself and just keep it in moderation (but don't beat yourself up if you go a little overboard).
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    uggggg i have the same problem too ! :( its so hard to stop eating these days and we go for the most unhealthy things half the time like junk food... =0 being on period is like living a pregnecie lol
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Just eat it in moderation! :) Better than binging!
    agree
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    But at the moment, I have a major craving for anything and everything that I CANNOT eat - chocolate, ice cream, cakes etc

Why can't you eat it? It is not like you are going to get fat from 2 or 3 pieces of chocolate or a 1/2 cup of ice cream or a slice of cake
  • jtjunkie
    jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I keep Nathans horseradish pickles in the house for the salty, minimal calories per serving and I keep dark chocolate chips for the chocolate craving but I can put a hurting on the office candy dish. Thankfully they are minis and I try to stick to 3 musketeers.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have this issue and I don't deal with it well! I had cheesy chips two nights ago and dominos pizza last night. So far today I've been ok but now I'm craving chocolate... I really don't want ruin 3 days of eating!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably craving that stuff for a reason. Your hormones throw everything out of whack and your body wants to normalize. Just eat the chocolate.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'll crave weird things like one time I was just eating granola cereal out of the box and another time I ate a whole loaf of bread lol
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just eat the chocolate.

This is good advice for anybody at anytime.
  • lh1990
    lh1990 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me it's Pringles!

I think it really depends on you. Some people are able to control themselves to say I'm going to eat only X and will eat only that much.

But I'm the kind of person that if I get a taste of one chip, it'll just remind me how delicious it is and I'll end up eating the whole package. So I just drink water. And I find that the less I eat something the less I crave for it.

That is NOT to say it's the right way to do things!!! Only that it works for me :)

PS the ridiculous whole hershey's bar from 2 days ago is a living example of my lack of self control