can i just not do the exercise part

Options
but still eat the recommended calorie in take for the day ?

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise but be aware that you will lose ,muscle along with fat and end up flabby with a higher BF contant than one who exercises and tones her body. You won't be4 as healthy asone who eats properly and exercises.
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I saw from clicking on your profile that you have about as much weight to lose as I do. So basically we both know how terrible it feels to be SO overweight. Getting tired so easily, little things (or at least little things to people much healthier than we are) taking a much larger toll on our bodies. While eating right will make your feel better and healthier and will make you lose weight, exercise will also do incredible things for your energy, health and condition of your body, not to mention your self-esteem because completing a hard workout feels amazing. Me personally, not exercising is not an option. I already know that I'll have some loose skin once I'm done losing the weight that I want to lose. Not exercising will probably make it SO SO much worse.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    but still eat the recommended calorie in take for the day ?

If your goal is simply weight loss then no you don't need to exercise and yes if you just hit your calorie goal you will lose weight.

If your goal is fitness, health or looking good after your weight loss then yes you should exercise.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially at the beginning, you can lose weight just by eating at a deficit. Exercise will help you keep the muscle you have, so keep an open mind about it, but it's not essential when you start. A lot of people just start with their eating, then think about adding exercise later, when they've gained some momentum. That's totally fine. As long as you eat at a deficit, you'll start to lose.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I didn't think my exercise was helping much until I had to stop for about 6 weeks. I continued losing weight at more or less the same rate but I just got so... flabby and soft. I'm feeling/looking better since I got back to regular exercise.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'd add that you should give it a try. If you really hate it and it comes down between quitting your diet or stopping exercising then okay...but don't just not try it.

"Exercise" at your fitness level could be as simple as going for a 30 minute walk every morning.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will still lose weight without exercise if you stick to your daily calorie allotment.

Exercise is wonderful though. The physical and mental reward you get for pushing your limits is invaluable. Don't forget, "exercise" is a subjective thing. It doesn't have to be a marathon, a walk around the block will do. The point is to just do more than before.

Congrats on starting this journey to a healthier you. Let's just take a second to recognize that a life change requires bravery, so hat's off to ya.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can lose without exercise. Focus on the nutrition first, get that down, and you'll lose weight. That will keep you motivated and keep you going. Slowly add in walking when you're ready. Gradually add in other things. Find something you like - swimming, squash, dancing, anything that gets you moving. It doesn't have to be running and doing Jillian Michael's videos.

You WILL get to a point where you will enjoy exercise.

But like I said, take small steps, focus on your nutrition. Good luck!!!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    By exercising, you can help your heart, increase indurance, and be able to eat more ( and lose weight quicker. )

You don't have to get a gym membership and spend hours on the elliptical if you don't want to. However, I do think you should do some form of physical activity, just to keep your heart going and help with your weight loss. It will also allow you to eat a little more too.

I suggest at least taking walks. If you have any smartphone, there are good apps available for walking. They tell you the speed, time and distance of your walks. You might be surprised that you can get in a few miles in the morning or evening, or whenever you do it.

I think walking is the best thing for you right now, especially with summer coming. you can enjoy the sunshine and scenery on your walks.
  • msravelli
    msravelli Posts: 9
    Options
    Definitely. To echo the other sentiments here, however, I do think that you’d be shortchanging yourself if you didn’t give it a shot somewhere down the line because the potential benefits are pretty awesome.
  • fatgirlallmylife101
    Options
    with the size i am i get tired going up and down stairs to do my laundry im in school so i sit at a desk all day aand my lungs aren't the greastest from smoking so i would like to lose some weight then start exercising to become more git i can't believe that only 2 years ago i was 155 and loved to run no im 210 and hate to even move
  • fatgirlallmylife101
    Options
    oh and i also do yoga 3 times a week to stay flexible
  • Jordancsmith99
    Jordancsmith99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't do any exercise apart from light walking for a few hours a week and have no problem losing weight, if anything I find not exercising helps me as I am not as hungry and do not eat as much.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    THIS
    Yes, you will still lose weight without exercise if you stick to your daily calorie allotment.

Exercise is wonderful though. The physical and mental reward you get for pushing your limits is invaluable. Don't forget, "exercise" is a subjective thing. It doesn't have to be a marathon, a walk around the block will do. The point is to just do more than before.

Congrats on starting this journey to a healthier you. Let's just take a second to recognize that a life change requires bravery, so hat's off to ya.
    [/quote