Treadmill Progress Suggestions?

Options
Kaolru
Kaolru Posts: 30 Member
I really hate cardio. I hate it a lot, but it doesn't help that I'm just not very active to begin with. My job keeps me on my feet and moving around quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it strenuous. We have a treadmill here though, so I like to use it on my lunch breaks, but I only have about twenty minutes or so.

I've only been doing it for a few days, and so far I've been reaching around 1.25 miles at varying speeds at or above 3mph. I usually start at 3mph and slowly increase it every minute or two until I'm at 4mph(still walking), and occasionally I will jog or run at 5-6mph, but I can only maintain the 6mph for around thirty seconds, probably a minute if I REALLY wanted to...I just don't want to. After my twenty minutes I usually spend a couple of minutes slowing down until I get to 2mph and then I'm done.

Is this type of routine going to do anything for me? I don't necessarily mean weight-wise, even though I would like to lose a bit. I'm just talking in general. I really don't exercise at all except for now using the treadmill, so I figure doing ANYTHING is better than nothing.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try a couch to 5K program. There's several apps and websites to help you along. If you only have 20 minutes, just do as much as you can and see if it sticks. The program starts out at 28 minutes and at the end is 40 minutes.

Get a turkey this year?
  • Kaolru
    Kaolru Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k? That sounds like an interesting concept. I will look into that.

As for a turkey, no I did not. I'm not much for turkey hunting except for during fall archery season.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    toneitup.com posts weekly treadmill routines
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I really hate cardio. I hate it a lot, but it doesn't help that I'm just not very active to begin with. My job keeps me on my feet and moving around quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it strenuous. We have a treadmill here though, so I like to use it on my lunch breaks, but I only have about twenty minutes or so.

I've only been doing it for a few days, and so far I've been reaching around 1.25 miles at varying speeds at or above 3mph. I usually start at 3mph and slowly increase it every minute or two until I'm at 4mph(still walking), and occasionally I will jog or run at 5-6mph, but I can only maintain the 6mph for around thirty seconds, probably a minute if I REALLY wanted to...I just don't want to. After my twenty minutes I usually spend a couple of minutes slowing down until I get to 2mph and then I'm done.

Is this type of routine going to do anything for me? I don't necessarily mean weight-wise, even though I would like to lose a bit. I'm just talking in general. I really don't exercise at all except for now using the treadmill, so I figure doing ANYTHING is better than nothing.

What do you guys think?

You can do the couch to 5k if you want or any other program but all you need to do is this, walk for 2 minutes as a warm up, run at 6mph until you are out of breath then walk the rest, each time try and run a bit longer, before you know it you will be running for 20 minutes then just increase the pace and beat your personal best, lots of programs about telling you how to suck eggs