How to recover after a cheat day/overeating!

Options
I had a cheat day yesterday, and it's the day after this morning, and my abdomen is huge, I can't work out or exercise, I haven't went to the bathroom(#2), but I already had breakfast(some all bran cereal, just because I'm trying to get back on track). I am also drinking lots of tea and water to try to flush some of the waste out. What are your tips? I still feel pretty bad about it :/

Replies

• oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Move on. Eat like you would normally do and log it. We all have occasional days like this.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just get back to normal, and drink a lot of water. I had an entire cheat week during the week of easter. It was planned, so I was mentally prepared to be a little bloated and gain some weight. I got right back to normal and even though I went more overboard than I thought I would with food, the weight and bloat was gone in a week. I only plan these weeks a couple of times a year just because I know I can bounce back and even though it's fun, I always look forward to getting back to normal and I come back with renewed energy!
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I went over my calorie goal yesterday and am planning out my day today. I will drink lots of water, plan out my meals and stick to it, and get in a walk later. The hardest part for me is the mental- not saying F-it and just continuing overeating today. Just let it go :)
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Like others have said just try to move on and get back to your regular eating plan. Easier said than done sometimes..... I tend to feel better if I cut the calories a little bit for the next few days to compensate, and maybe add in an extra cardio session the following week.

I can say I really haven't had a unplanned cheat day in months now. What kind of diet are you following? I used to have a very restricted diet which I found made me binge a lot more than if I just try to work the foods I enjoy into my regular diet. You may want to try to understand why you overate so that you can minimize it in the future.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You may want to try to understand why you overate so that you can minimize it in the future.

I think this is a great point.
    In my reflection, I realized I would "allow" myself to make poor choices and over eat when I was emotionally upset. Yesterday I was able to identify I was stressed and pissed and had a bad attitude- I stopped myself before it turned into a full on binge.
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    loved your reply! right on.
  • Rocky791
    Rocky791 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did that yesterday and am trying to get back on track today. Mine was also triggered by stress and getting discouraged with slow weight loss. Comparing myself to others always brings me down too. Gotta get back on track and work with what I have!
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also had a day like that yesterday... today I will drink lots of water, exercise and eat maybe try to be a bit under my daily allotment. The big thing for me is figuring out why it happened. I didn't have a big enough breakfast so I was HUNGRY, I was also trying to make up for some over indulgence on Monday (should have just moved on) and I was anxious about going out to happy hour/dinner with friends and not knowing what to log. Then, we didn't even end up going out so I under ate for dinner and was more HUNGRY so I raided the cupboard. Maintenance is hard when you slip up because you feel like there is no buffer (ie. calorie deficit).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Get them running shoes out and put them on! Go run!
  • Pamelicious1988
    Pamelicious1988 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As many people said, go back to your regular healthy eating. Before I joined MFP a couple of months ago, I began detoxing from sugar and all processed foods, and over a year ago I bought a NutriBullet and started every day with a fresh green smoothie and added protein (organic brown rice protein powder/plain greek yogurt/egg whites).

I'm 55 years old. I've lost over 20 pounds since February, and I've set a goal to lose 125. Just keep it up, increase your water intake, and have a few meals of lean protein and LOTS of veggies. You'll see the pounds start to come off again soon. I don't even exercise yet, but I'm seeing consistent results of around two pounds a week. LOVE MFP.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day yesterday, and it's the day after this morning, and my abdomen is huge, I can't work out or exercise, I haven't went to the bathroom(#2), but I already had breakfast(some all bran cereal, just because I'm trying to get back on track). I am also drinking lots of tea and water to try to flush some of the waste out. What are your tips? I still feel pretty bad about it :/
    You're the boy who posted last week about his "successes" with "binging".
    Think about the comments and concerns you got on that thread.
    My tip is: strive to develop a healthier relationship with food for the long run.
    In the mean time, drink water, get moving, and eat normally today.
  • tjthegreatone
    tjthegreatone Posts: 324
    Options
    I dunno, I find that if I'm well fed and well hydrated I'm less likely to have all these crazy 'cheat' binge days. I don't like the term. I love my food and want to enjoy it without feeling queasy from overeating.
    Probably better to eat a sensible amount, and on some days you might indulge in something you wouldn't usually eat that blows your calorie budget but you won't wake up bloated etc which doesn't seem like fun.
    However, today, I'd just eat when hungry, and leave it at that. If you're too bloated or not hungry then don't force it. Your appetite will return soon enough once your body processes whatever you put into it.
    I know moderation is not cool but I strongly believe that it's the way to go.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how your abdomen could be "huge" after a single day of binging. It sounds to me that the previous poster that said you need to develop a healthy relationship with food is right--you could be developing (or have already) body dysmorphia. You might want to stop everything that you're doing and talk to a doctor and/or a psychologist before you go any further trying to lose weight.
  • gallen2O
    gallen2O Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just get back to normal, and drink a lot of water. I had an entire cheat week during the week of easter. It was planned, so I was mentally prepared to be a little bloated and gain some weight. I got right back to normal and even though I went more overboard than I thought I would with food, the weight and bloat was gone in a week. I only plan these weeks a couple of times a year just because I know I can bounce back and even though it's fun, I always look forward to getting back to normal and I come back with renewed energy!

just curious, do you still count calories on these 'cheat' days? im going for a visit back home and i know i MAY do a little cheating but i dont want to take it over board. im scared that if i stop counting with mfp or that if i get back into habit of making bad choices, that all my progress will go backwards and that i will give up again for the 3rd time. I really dont want to ever give up this time....i want to reach my goal!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

just curious, do you still count calories on these 'cheat' days? im going for a visit back home and i know i MAY do a little cheating but i dont want to take it over board. im scared that if i stop counting with mfp or that if i get back into habit of making bad choices, that all my progress will go backwards and that i will give up again for the 3rd time. I really dont want to ever give up this time....i want to reach my goal!

Defiantly count calories during ""cheat"" days.
  • fzx122
    fzx122 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just aim for what should be a regular day. Don't undereat to compensate or punish yourself. The goal is to have a consistent and healthy diet every day. It's not always possible, but strive towards it - even if you just had a misstep.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Like it never happened. There's nothing meaningful you can do to offset it today. Just treat today like a new day, stick to your plan, and progress.

(All this assumes, of course, that your plan is solid...that you're working with a reasonable calorie deficit, that you're exercising within reason, and that you're not trying to adhere to some ridiculous unnecessary restrictions. An appropriate plan is much easier to adhere to than an inappropriate one.)

ETA: And I absolutely count calories every day, even on days I go over. For one, incomplete logging would mess up my TDEE calculations...but two, because for many people, those days where they think they've completely derailed their progress are only 1000 or so calories over...which for many is only a few days of their deficit. Also, in absolute terms, 1000 calories is less than a third of a pound of fat. And it isn't like not logging it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

TL;DR - People make some bad decisions thinking they've derailed their plan when they haven't...except those bad decisions they make as a result can actually derail it.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I log a 'cheat" day accurately and go back to normal eating. It works out fine.
  • skyfall76
    skyfall76 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Glad to read all these answers.

You just have to move on and learn for the future. I personally track my cheating meal like any others food that I eat. You need these cheating meals to boost your metabolism and avoid any ''plateau''. Keep it in mind ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Worst case I've gained half a pound (like today). It will be gone in less than a week sticking to my plan. I'm not even worried about it (although I'm eating at a deficit still, even if I've technically only lost a pound in 2 months).