Need aspargus recipes or cooking instructions

Options
2»

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I roast them with Mrs. Dash, olive oil and garlic.
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The microwave is one of the easiest ways to steam asparagus and keeps more nutrients in the veggies. I bend them to snap the tough part off of the bottom, rinse, and wrap the entire bunch in a couple of wet paper towels. Place the wrapped asparagus on a plate or glass dish and microwave for around 2 minutes (more or less, depending on your microwave). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, or whatever other seasonings you prefer, and it's ready to eat.
  • vagarner
    Options
    I also usually roast them in a 400 degree oven. You can try adding low sodium soy sauce or balsamic vinegar for a change! Yummy
  • smoothsue
    Options
    The site eating well has great recipes. I take recipes from there and modify them since I am diabetic. I reduce the recipe for 2. Sometime i make small changes for example instead of chicken thighs, I USE two 3 oz chicken. Or instead of port wine I use diet cranberry juice. Have fun cooking.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I tasted canned asparagus today, it was nasty!! :(

Buy fresh stalks. Much nicer.

All I do is pop 5 or 6 stalks on a plate. Put it in the microwave for 1 min. Then eat :) I love it.
  • vacationnut
    vacationnut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The best way to cook it is to roast it in the oven with some olive oil and a little salt and pepper. It great!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I roast mine with a little balsamic vinegar and garlic. So yummy!!!!!!!
  • ckgis4me
    Options
    The microwave is one of the easiest ways to steam asparagus and keeps more nutrients in the veggies. I bend them to snap the tough part off of the bottom, rinse, and wrap the entire bunch in a couple of wet paper towels. Place the wrapped asparagus on a plate or glass dish and microwave for around 2 minutes (more or less, depending on your microwave). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, or whatever other seasonings you prefer, and it's ready to eat.

From a culinary perspective, as well as nutritional, this is the healthiest version so far (unless you have issues with microwaving).:wink:
  • lsamala
    Options
    to add a little more flavor - put some grated parmesean cheese along with the olive oil and salt and pepper - all you really need.
  • jasonlor
    jasonlor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Roll them in Olive Oil, sprinkle some Montreal Steak Spice (or something like it) on them and throw them directly onto your BBQ grill, rolling them so they don't burn, for about 5 minutes or until soft.

VERY yummy...

JL
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Marinate them in Italian dressing, YUMMY! Also, I've found that Mansmith's grilling spice works really well on most veggies.
  • nmharness
    Options
    hey! my kids and i eat asparagus all the time. we usually eat it with olive oil and sea salt grilled, but i roast it too. it doesn't take very long. it is also good with garlic or lemon pepper or even fresh lemon juice and olive oil! YUMMY! enjoy!
  • jmbender4
    Options
    I usually just steam and salt, but my favorate preparation is with balsamic browned butter (45 cal per serving): http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001654700
  • jmbender4
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing, if you live near a trader joes, their frozen asparagus tasted like fresh once cooked. I am not sure the secret, but it is nice to have in the freezer when I am throughing together a dinner.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I cut the last inch off of the bottom, drizzle with just a bit of olive oil, and hit with a little salt, some black pepper and some grinder garlic. Pop 'em in in one of them micro-steamer bags for a minute and yum.

Don't overnuke, they're better with just a bit of crunch left.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    Here's a favorite of mine:

Spread your asparagus (about half of a bundle, sometimes I make less) on a sheet pan. Add about 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half (you can omit these if you like, but it's really yummy). Toss in 1 tbsp parmesean, 1 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Bake at 350 until crispy, typically around half an hour.
  • haleyga
    Options
    I sautee asparagus in a little olive oil with sea salt, minced garlic & dill. Right before they are done I add zest of a lemon & a little lemon juice. Sometimes I add a little fresh grated Parmesan on top.