Zumba

Options
I do Zumba but mfp does not recognise it to show me how many calories i am burning, any help?:love:

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    get a HRM, i do Zumba too, and I burn a ton! go to amazon.com and check out what they have for HRMs (i live in canada so i go to amazon.ca)
  • punkinbeanie
    Options
    THANKS
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    yep - I totally second the above.
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    If you cant afford a hrm you can also log it as dancing ..
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Agree with above.

My wife teaches Zumba, is 5'3", 110lb and averages like 600 per 60 min class (if I recall). Your size, age, intensity will affect your reading though (hence, the HRM)
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I really want to try Zumba! How do you like it? I live in such a small town that I don't know of any Zumba classes that I could participate in. Do they sell DVD's so you can just do it at home?
  • mikaselm
    Options
    From my experience, Zumba tends to feel about as strenuous as belly dancing, and they have that listed :D I can't be certain, as I've done a TON of belly dancing but only a little Zumba.
  • punkinbeanie
    Options
    I have the DVD's and it is great , kinda expensive, 5 dvd's plus wt's and other things 75.00 . but i love it
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hey I do zumba and dont have one of those HRM things but according to the sites u can burn between 500-800 cals per hour and the average 150lp person burns 535 (i think but google it) so i use that figure to work it out or you could u the average figure (650ish) i dont feel like i am having a massive work out but i hate running so anything that gets my heart rate up and burns like that is good
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    well I did find that at our golds gym they offer a class so I think Im gonna try it out and if I love it I will just get the dvd's to do it myself at home!
  • vbogey
    vbogey Posts: 57
    Options
    New to the site and wanted to know about zumba too. we have a group that does insanity in the mornings. we have gone through it three times and are looking for something else.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I really want to try Zumba! How do you like it? I live in such a small town that I don't know of any Zumba classes that I could participate in. Do they sell DVD's so you can just do it at home?

You can also go to the Zumba website, use the Find Instructor tab, and search for your area. Who knows, maybe you'll fall in love with it and start your own classes in your town - no competition!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I sucked it up and bought the DVD's off the official website...and although I feel like a complete idiot bouncing around in my basement, it is really quite fun. And you sweat bombs!
  • punkinbeanie
    Options
    I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • erikalb
    erikalb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I go to class about 2-3 times per week. Zumba is also out as a video game now on Wii and PS3 Move and I enjoy that more than the DVD's for some reason. So you might want to try that too. When I log my Zumba in, I usually put it at 600 calories burned based on the averages that I have seen but I plan on getting a HRM soon so that number can be more accurate. It's a great work-out!
  • lov3alwaysk
    lov3alwaysk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE ZUMBA!
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I LOVE IT TOO!!!! My zumba instructor is way more on the hip hop side and it is so much fun! I am trying to get used the the at home dvd's but prefer the less latin version. That and I really don't like doing it in front of my husband so I prefer to go to the classes. =)
  • sabrinag6005
    Options
    I do Zumba and Zumba toning. In regulare Zumba (depending on the instructor) You can burn up to 750 cals an hour. In Zumba toning up to 1200. In the classes I take we've had ppl w monitors and it depends on your level of participation, etc. I love it. MY favorite workout, do it 3xs a week.