Eating out is basically impossible

Options
Does anyone else feel like there are almost no healthy options when eating out? I go through all the online menus, looks at the calories/fat/carb and it just seems almost impossible to find something within my daily allowance, especially if you care about the macros too. Sometimes I find a salad that is 300 calories but then I find that it has all the fat that I can eat in a day -_- and there is no way of avoiding fat for the rest of my meals. And yes, I know most of it is the dressing, but that's just an example. In general, i just find it very hard to find something that I can eat and doesn't make me starve the rest of the day.
I have been making good progress but most of what I eat is at home, I rarely eat out. I don't miss eating greasy unhealthy stuff that much, but I do miss the easiness of just spending the day around town and not having to get back to the apartment to eat.

Replies

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    eating at restaurants has been a tough one for me because I like to go out a lot for socializing and seeing friends. I am thinking I might try to eat something healthy before I go out--even just a baked yam or a wasa cracker with avocado on it, a bit of chicken or salmon. So then when I am out I won't be as hungry and can just order an appetizer and a drink or 2 and get the social part, take the focus off the food itself for me.

Most restaurants appetizers are totally meal-sized, tbh
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So, you'd eat out maybe once a month?

In that case, stuff it. Ignore your macros for 1 day (single digit!) and just try for calorie allowance. Heck, if even if that doesn't come into your allowance, just have it anyway and try not to feel guilty.

It's once. It's a treat. Try and pick the healthier option but don't stress too much about it (chicken burger with salad instead of a cheese burger with fries, for ex).

Might be, with a basic substitution, you can keep things under your kcal allowance without issue and just ignore your macros for a day.

Good luck!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If it's that rare, I'd just not worry about it and have whatever. Find a sensible option, but not agonize over macros.

I rarely eat out either (as in 4 times a year or so). For me, it's a treat, so I allow myself to just indulge. I feel that healthy eating is about balance and moderation, and that means the occasional meal that doesn't quite fit your macros.

If eating out is just about convenience for you, take something with you while you're out. Or stop into a supermarket and get a sandwich or salad or something.
  • fryfat
    fryfat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Restaurants don't care about your health. They care if you *think* it's healthy, so they'll give their items nice sounding names and descriptions, but your long-term health is the least of their concerns.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Going out to eat is difficult. Logging correctly, impossible.
    I just pay attention to a better choice meal and how much of it I actually eat, which usually is about half.
    Seems to work for me. Might go out for a meal four times a month at best. Because I like to cook.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haven't come across this problem. You're diary's private so can't have a nosy to see why you're having issues.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't have much problem eating at restaurants. But nearly everything I order ends up being modified.

I often order sandwiches without the condiments. Sauces that are fat/sugar based are akin to drinking calories IMHO and add minimal taste explosion for the calories they take up. I'd rather enjoy a snack later..

When it comes to salads, I rarely use the common toppings (nuts, croutons), and for dressing, if I do use it, its sparingly. I swear a bag of dressing at a fast food joint is enough for several days. At a restaurant, always ask for dressing on the side.

I reduce the greasiness factor by sticking to grilled and baked whenever possible, and preferring fish over birds over cattle.
  • janelann222
    janelann222 Posts: 13
    Options
    For me personally I keep track of calories but I don't count fat really at all. I have lost about 22 pounds since January. I was also an athlete in my past life, so I have tried a few things and know what works for me. I actually think fats in certain foods are very good for you and your skin. Eating out is difficult, and what is more difficult is we associate get together with food. You could give yourself a cheat day per week and not keep track at all like I do, or certain places (like red lobster has many 600 calorie or under meal options with the health benefit of being seafood, Applebees has 500 calorie option meals). These are the best two I go to which keep me within reason. If you go elsewhere, a good salad while removing croutons and using red wine vinaigrette always works for me too. A trick for desert I like (and I have a huge sweet tooth) is to have a decaf coffee with some stevia in it instead of desert. This way I feel like I am ordering something and it tastes sweet!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Restaurants don't care about your health. They care if you *think* it's healthy, so they'll give their items nice sounding names and descriptions, but your long-term health is the least of their concerns.

I disagree with this. They care about your health in the same way that cigarette manufacturers and the general health (not to be confused with fitness) industry (big pharma, health insurance, hospitals, etc) does. That is, no self-respecting business wants their clients to get unhealthy and die off. They want their customers to be dependent and coming back, paying as much based upon perceived value to maximize profits.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat out often it doesn't really make a difference if you go over for the day.

you can always order off the kids menu as there are smaller portions or ask for a box with the meal so you can box half of it, as many places serve more than what is necessary for a meal.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i haev more of a problem with places not having a lot of vegan/vegetarian options. and that applebees on their 2 for $20 has no vegetarian items and say no substitutions. **** you applebees
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like there are almost no healthy options when eating out? I go through all the online menus, looks at the calories/fat/carb and it just seems almost impossible to find something within my daily allowance, especially if you care about the macros too. Sometimes I find a salad that is 300 calories but then I find that it has all the fat that I can eat in a day -_- and there is no way of avoiding fat for the rest of my meals. And yes, I know most of it is the dressing, but that's just an example. In general, i just find it very hard to find something that I can eat and doesn't make me starve the rest of the day.
    I have been making good progress but most of what I eat is at home, I rarely eat out. I don't miss eating greasy unhealthy stuff that much, but I do miss the easiness of just spending the day around town and not having to get back to the apartment to eat.

Just go out and enjoy yourself. As long as it is not every week, it's not really going to make a huge difference.
    I go out and its not hindered my weight loss at all.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I skip the extras (bread, chips, fries) because they aren't worth it for me. I also skip the drinks, as I prefer to eat my calories. I often find myself on the run with hungry kids, so I know what I can eat within my calories, at the drive thru. I figure I'm out running around and picking up kids and stuff, so I'm burning more already.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    On days that I know I am going to have certain events like going out to eat, I honestly skip a meal in the morning and save most of my calories for the event.

It is alright to splurge once in a while. One thing you should also remember... if you have MFP set for 1 pound a week loss, that is 500 calories. So... if you go over by 400 calories, technically, you still have a 100 calorie deficit. So, won't be fat gain, but maybe some water gain while processing the extra food, and after that, everything back to normal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think you are over thinking it..

I eat out probably once a week, sometimes twice, and I have not had an issue with my training or weight loss …most recent cut I am about seven pounds down …

yes, if you eat out you are probably not going to hit your macros perfectly and the calorie counts may be off, but I find that I can eat out and still maintain my deficit…

Last night, I had two sushi rolls, a salad, and key lime pie ..I was over on my calories for day by 150 but for the day that is still a 350 calorie deficit..

tonight, I am going out with parents and friends and I am sure that I will be a little off on logging and calories..but I have left myself about 1100 calories for dinner and I would still be in a 500 calorie deficit..and if i go over my 1100 number I still have 500 until I go over maintenance….

so with a little planning it is not that hard to accomplish ..just try not to get too crazy about it ….
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I find this to be a problem too, especially if we are on a day trip or a date night. I think we just have to not over think it and make decent choices :) Weirdly enough I have found quite a few fast food places lately to have really decent calorie sensible and macro sensible salads. They will put all dressing and toppings such as (cashews, almonds, etc..) packaged on the side for you. I toss the dressing and my salads end up around 250-300 cals, low fat, high protein :) As for restaurants...especially on date nights I try to give options to the bf that I know will have a "healthy option" menu or at least salads or meal I can alter. I know its hard :( I try to plan ahead when we know we are heading out, so I can bring food that I know is healthy for us.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I frequently eat out. Just eat slowly, be careful with the bread/chips, don't drink alcohol or only one drink, no dessert. You may want to be careful with sauces and salad dressings, but no need for major modifications. Split the entree in half and ask for it to be boxed up. Follow these rules and you will probably continue to lose weight. I lost 60 pounds eating like that.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Currently my daily allowance is high even at 2lbs a week, plus my weightlifting calorie burn. I can easily fit dinner at a restaurant in, as long as I know I'm doing it before I have my lunch.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I frequently eat out. Just eat slowly, be careful with the bread/chips, don't drink alcohol or only one drink, no dessert. You may want to be careful with sauces and salad dressings, but no need for major modifications. Split the entree in half and ask for it to be boxed up. Follow these rules and you will probably continue to lose weight. I lost 60 pounds eating like that.

well that sounds boring…..i have never been one for rules...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Stop "dieting" and start thinking about how to eat healthy for the rest of your life, and that includes having the occasional over-indulgent meal. In other words learn moderation and learn to give yourself a break and that it's okay to have some fun every once in a while.