Beating sugar addiction (or bad cravings)

Options
2»

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    When I went to AF Basic Training I was over weight and worked at Wendy's, so all I ate was soda and fast food. My addiction was Pepsi, at least 2Liters of Pepsi a day. After 6 weeks of Boot camp on diet restriction and allowed nothing but water to drink I lost 40lbs, and went from a size 17 to a size 7 :0 it was amazing. What surprised me most was that after 6 weeks of Bootcamp once i was allowed to drink whatever I wanted to drink, Pepsi didnt taste good anymore it was nasty. I couldnt believe I drank it in the first place.

I think its kind of like drugs and alcohol detox, once your body gets rid of it you no longer have that craving that you have to have it so your taste buds can judge more accurately on whats good and bad

Wow, once I got out of AF basic, I was the complete opposite! I was like GIMME ALL THE CANDY, ALL THE CHEETOS, NOMNOMNOMNOM!!!!

Then I got fat again. :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change for me. Cake, soda, cookies, etc. are part of my life, so I needed to teach myself that if I am going to keep the weight off I needed to learn self control/moderation, it was hard, but now I can enjoy weddings/birthday cakes now, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smile:
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I used to crave chocolate all the time. Or sweets in general. It was a major obstacle to weight loss for me. So one day, I quit. It was extremely difficult and I found myself thinking about sweets long after the physical cravings subsided (which took only 2-3 days). Then I started to reintroduce small quantities of high quality chocolate. The first time I attempted this, I felt the urge to go nuts. So I quit again for two weeks. Then I reintroduced it again and didn't get as much pleasure from it as I usually do. This was really weird because psychologically, I still feel the need to buy chocolate in the quantities I used to but I no longer need that much.

I'm very happy about this progress but I just know that if I get cocky and start having it all the time, I will start to NEED sugar again. So I make sure not to have it more than once per week.

Who else noticed that their tastes changed and what did you do to maintain the changes?

I never had a sweet tooth, but I loved my carbs. I would eat fried chicken, all types of chips, soda, bread, french fries and burgers... I've given all of them up and more. It took a long time and many small changes but I have none of those unhealthy cravings anymore. I'm focusing on eating to live. I'm not done changing my diet to what it will be when I'm maintaining, but I'm getting there one step at a time. I'm enjoying it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    When I went to AF Basic Training I was over weight and worked at Wendy's, so all I ate was soda and fast food. My addiction was Pepsi, at least 2Liters of Pepsi a day. After 6 weeks of Boot camp on diet restriction and allowed nothing but water to drink I lost 40lbs, and went from a size 17 to a size 7 :0 it was amazing. What surprised me most was that after 6 weeks of Bootcamp once i was allowed to drink whatever I wanted to drink, Pepsi didnt taste good anymore it was nasty. I couldnt believe I drank it in the first place.

I think its kind of like drugs and alcohol detox, once your body gets rid of it you no longer have that craving that you have to have it so your taste buds can judge more accurately on whats good and bad

Wow, once I got out of AF basic, I was the complete opposite! I was like GIMME ALL THE CANDY, ALL THE CHEETOS, NOMNOMNOMNOM!!!!

Then I got fat again. :laugh:

Your hunger impulses have to be trained. One way is to get used to an empty stomach by skipping breakfast and eating your first meal around noon.

You'll change, and lose your cravings for sweets after a week or so.

Um...me wanting cheetos and candy have never had anything to do with hunger. :huh:

And I just feed my cravings when I have them. No need to change, but thanks for the unsolicited advice.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate! I'm not allowed to stop eating chocolate ever since I threw a pan at my husband's head. I missed :)
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    I also had major sugar cravings. But as soon as I started eating dark choc, I wanted things to be less sweeter in general. I still like sweet things and eating sweets trigger more eating sweets. But if I put an intentional stop to eating junk sweets and go back to dark choc, my cravings start to diminish. Its a constant battle and moderation is key.

yes..I find SUPER sweet things (like milk chocolate) make my mouth and throat burn.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    In honor of all the moderation beats cold turkey sugar crowd in all MFP threads everywhere, I'm buying a pack of cigarettes this weekend. I'll probably smoke three or four, then the rest will sit in my purse until they go stale and I throw it out. That's what happened last time.

I feel sorry for ex smokers. Why didn't you just try moderation? One cigarette now and then won't hurt you. And it's enjoyable. I have no trouble having one and then not having another for days or weeks or forever if that is what I decide. Why can't you do the same?

It must be a willpower thing.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank you for posting your story. I was in the same boat but I haven't been brave enough to reintroduce chocolate yet.

There are so many people that experience sugar addiction just like this, yet anytime somebody posts something about the difficulties of quitting, so many people do nothing but criticize.

I think this post does a great job of describing how completely quitting sugar can be beneficial for many. Thanks for sharing.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have had a nagging craving for a huge piece of chocolate cake that is sold at safeway. For two months I have been thinking about it off and on. I think I will allow myself to have one after I have lost my first 50 lbs. And that is going to be two months from May.

Good for you. And I'll bet that chocolate cake won't taste half as good as it looks. And then you won't crave it again.
    Keep going, you can do this!
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    sugar addiction is hard, cutting down is the main thing!
    i have low calorie hot chocolate when i crave chocolate, only 40 calories :) !
    also have marshmellows for sweets too since they are normally only about 10 calories and helps for the sugar fix
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my protein level significantly - adding more lean meats to my diet and eating way fewer carbs. One of the benefits of this decision (for me) was less hunger and fewer sweet/carb cravings.

The theory, from what I've read, is that protein is timed-release energy and satisfies your need for calories on a long, slow schedule. The problem with carbs is that they're a quick fix of energy and once depleted, they tend to leave you wanting another quick fix.

My experience only, your mileage may vary of course.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my protein level significantly - adding more lean meats to my diet and eating way fewer carbs. One of the benefits of this decision (for me) was less hunger and fewer sweet/carb cravings.

The theory, from what I've read, is that protein is timed-release energy and satisfies your need for calories on a long, slow schedule. The problem with carbs is that they're a quick fix of energy and once depleted, they tend to leave you wanting another quick fix.

My experience only, your mileage may vary of course.

I need to add more protein and fat back to my diet, actually. I've been concentrating so hard on the vitamins I let both of those slip. Whoops! Fine for a week or two, definitely not long term.
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is great, solid advice - literally training your body and mind to not crave something anymore has been proven time and time again as being the most effective method, because it breeds long-term and sustainable results. Sugar, of any kind, is my biggest weakness (in terms of food), and this is definitely something I'll keep in mind when the time comes. Right now, I'm fairly new to quitting alcohol (a HUGE source of sugar) and just beginning the process of quitting smoking (cigarettes), so I'm trying to do just one thing at a time to ensure, again, sustainable success. Thanks for the reminder and tips! :drinker: :love: