finding the motivation to exercise

Options
One of the big issues I struggle with is getting the energy and motivation to go to a gym, or even a walk for that matter.

I spend my day at work mostly desk based - coding, and working on technical things. By the end of the day when I get home I just cannot seem to want to do anything but "sit and relax"

So many times I have packed the gym bag only to leave it sit there and say "tomorrow..."

What are some of the things you do to kick yourself in the butt to actually exercise?

Replies

• Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Alright, this may not answer your question directly, but here's something that has worked for me. I KNOW I feel better after I exercise more often. So when I'm not doing it very well, I convince myself to workout for two weeks (four-five times per week, at least 30 minutes each time) before I can "slack off" again. By the end of the two weeks, I'm feeling great about working out again, and the inertia of this feeling keeps me going. Just a thought.

And good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of things...get in your gym strip the minute you get home...include the runners (they should be clean if you're wearing them in the gym)...get yourself all together right away. Also promise yourself 10 minutes at the gym...if you're still not into it after 10 minutes then leave...but I can almost promise you that when you get there and you're into your 10 minutes, you'll keep going, and you may even work harder than ever. I give myself ultimatums too...if I didn't go to the gym I'd have to do p90x, and trust me, the gym is WAY better lol...the thing is, you have to listen to yourself. This won't work if you don't give yourself a consequence.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Any chance to do it in the morning - before work? I have a desk job too, and I love knowing that I've kick started my metabolism, so I'm burning more while I'm sitting at my desk that I would be otherwise!! Plus, then you don't have to think about it any more - and there are no excuses!! Pack your bag at night, wake up, brush your teeth, grab your bag and go with bed head and all!! Work out, shower and go to work!!! All done!

If not - just force yourself to do it. If you go to a gym, just drive there, walk in and change. Once you've gotten that far, the rest gets easier. It's the getting ready/getting there that's the hardest for me (when I don't do it first thing in the morning).
  • NancyEllen
    Options
    To get started I found that "tricking myself" actually works!! I tell myself that I am just going to go outside for a short walk -- to get some fresh air -- and plan only to be out there about 10-15 minutes. What happens every time is that I end up taking a longer route and just plain enjoying the movement. After doing that about 4 or 5 times you actually look forward to getting outside and moving. Then, although I plan to "only" walk, I throw in a short jog....or a power walk for about 3 minutes. It just improves from there. My thinking is that I often have the bar set soooo high and forget that I have to work up to being in shape. So I use these little tricks to atleast get me out of the door. A few times I call a friend and ask her to meet me for a walk --- that always works for both of us! The fresh air is wonderful and you come back home with rosy cheeks and a big smile. Good luck finding what works for you!
  • jdigjudy
    Options
    The ONLY way that I can get myself to do anything is to do it when I get up. I signed up for a master's class that starts at 6:30am (!!!!!) - and, even on Saturdays, I get up with the sun and try to get the exercise over before I'm fully awake! Ok, maybe not always, but having it done before the day starts and I build up excuses really is a boost.
    If I wait until later, later has too many "I'll do it just after I ..." things, and relaxing after work is important! :)
  • kklittle
    kklittle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can skip going home and go directly to the gym or where ever you work out? I know when I get home I either want to crash or get caught up in "mommy mode" and have to start dealing with housework and all of that distraction...so I found it really beneficial to just go straight from work to the park where I run (I change clothes in the bathroom at work!).
  • segagirl1
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have a desk job but the kicker when I get home is i have to take care of the demands of a 5 year old and a 4 year old (husband too) along with the daily house maintenance. When I have the few hours or less that I consider "my time" I want to sit and veg by watching tv or reading a book. I m having a hard time changing my lookout on exercise as another "chore" or "task" that has to be completed to it being me time
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! i find that taking my gym bag with me to work and going straight from the office helps!!! Go get em!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    When I get home I give myself an hour or so to relax then at 6PM on the dot I push play on my Power 90. By making it an inflexible part of my day it's become a habit. After I'm done I feel so pumped and then relax with my ice cold creatine drink before dinner. I enjoy the rest of my evening even more because I got my workout done. Good luck finding what works best for you :)