Calling all emotional binge eaters

Options

Replies

• darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Binge and emotional eater here! I HATE it, but lose myself too late. I actually stopped tracking food months ago.

I've been successful and got down to a very healthy weight and felt beautiful and strong...
    insert stress...
    insert sadness...
    insert whatever you want...

insert Ben and Jerry's and a huge porterhouse steak! I can eat more than my husband.

I'm treating it like an addiction and have made it through Day 1.

Add me if you like and we can go 1 day at a time together. You are NOT alone!
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump. For Later
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just a thought here: If association with binge eating comes from stress, spouses, realtionships etc., shouldn't those be the issues to address to control the eating? I'm all for support, but one can only hear so many times "You can do this!" before they succumb to urge.
    Attack the problem at the heart of the issue, not the symptom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, I agree. Deal with the underlying issues, stress management, and healthy coping skills (yoga helps me). Many of us have had to tackle stress problems (I've had PTSD). For me stress causes me to lose my appetite, to a serious degree. It does seem stress effects our eating habits.

you are assuming people are not already doing those things
    sometimes it does not matter how much "dealing with the cause" we do

I have been in therapy since I was 14 :) thank you and also take medication to help with my ptsd,anxiety and other various things that contribute to my binge eating. It is an everyday battle for some of us so please take a seat

I'm so very sorry for coming across that way. That was not what I intended at all. It is a daily struggle for me as well. I was only saying that I understand the struggle, even though it comes out differently. For me I become unable to eat. I really am truly sorry for coming across wrong. I know the work is never done. I was just responding to the post because it hit me as something I related to (otherwise I may not have replied). I definitely know that we each have our own challenges and struggles and I would never think I could tell someone how to deal with it. I would also never assume that someone didn't have challenges or that they weren't dealing with it. that was never my thought or intention. I guess tone does not come across online. I was just saying, I relate this way. This is not something I think I have the answers to. I am always still learning and figuring it out for myself. You have probably had more therapy than me. It is challenging for me to trust a therapist, so I do it on my own.

Ever since I started counting my calories, it helps me to eat consistently.

Edit: Also, I see you in the forums also and have always really liked your contributions and presence here.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional binge eater! :/
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I used to be an emotional binge eater due to depression/anxiety. Not anymore! :smile: Feel free to add me if you need advice and/or support!
  • holmed90
    holmed90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am sad, I eat when I celebrate, I eat when I am bored! I need to stop linking emotions to food!
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi there, another emotional binge eater; however, I am in control and have been for over two months. I was so out of control thinking about food every waking minute that one day I just sat there and cried. I hated myself -- the way my body looked, the way my clothing fit and if I kept eating I was going to have to go up a size; I hated lugging the extra weight around; the craving were terrible; my breathing was terrible; i felt that if I didn't stop this horrible cycle I would die of a heart attach, plus I always beat myself up by reminding myself of where I would be if only I had of stayed on my program. My husband reminded me about a time, apx. three years ago when I was healthy, going to the gym, eating properly and had cut out sugar. I had also done MFP before and had great success. That was it. The next day I joined a new gym in town, got myself a personal trainer and rejoined MFP. I was so low and disappointing in myself prior to this that everything just fell into place. Today I am loving the gym and really miss it if I can't get there and my eating is great, not always perfect, but I have no cravings and no binges. That doesn't mean that I will never lapse, but I have surrounded myself with healthy people. I know the dark world that you are living in and I wish you every success.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • live2run95
    live2run95 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I certainly fit in this category, and am really trying to control this!!! I can always use more support and give more support, so anyone feel free to add me!
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional binge eater and I have been most of my life. I'm getting better at controlling it these days though.
    If you wish to add me then feel free to do so :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just a thought here: If association with binge eating comes from stress, spouses, realtionships etc., shouldn't those be the issues to address to control the eating? I'm all for support, but one can only hear so many times "You can do this!" before they succumb to urge.
    Attack the problem at the heart of the issue, not the symptom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, I agree. Deal with the underlying issues, stress management, and healthy coping skills (yoga helps me). Many of us have had to tackle stress problems (I've had PTSD). For me stress causes me to lose my appetite, to a serious degree. It does seem stress effects our eating habits.

you are assuming people are not already doing those things
    sometimes it does not matter how much "dealing with the cause" we do

I have been in therapy since I was 14 :) thank you and also take medication to help with my ptsd,anxiety and other various things that contribute to my binge eating. It is an everyday battle for some of us so please take a seat
    While I'm sure there are some that are dealing with them with therapy, meds, etc., my experience with many has been that they haven't dealt with the issues directly, hence the binging. I'm not singling out people, just making a suggestion if they haven't attempted to address the issue directly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm an emotional eater particularly during pms. Feel free to add me, my diary is open.
  • _mermaid_
    _mermaid_ Posts: 82
    Options
    I eat when I'm happy. When I'm sad I don't.
  • claireanne2
    Options
    I am too...since I was a child really and I am 59 now! have struggled with it my whole life.its like a default button that your 'self' gets back to when anything (lonely, bored, stressed, angry, scared...) is going on. Its like an addiction really - like any other kind of addiction - plus you cant go cold turkey of course because you have to eat to survive, and food is all around all the time, its cheap to get by and its legal. Interestingly when things are fully bad (like major crisis) the need to eat doesnt come up. Its more the every humdrum misery that brings it on. I guess its the cost of surviving and not really living. But how to get from here to there at will? I mean it has happened, often even, that life would just step in and take me there - fully alive and no desire to eat. But how to self-propel as it were? This might be a question i take to my grave, as it has been a whole lifetime already and I have not cracked it!:huh:
  • kiralu76
    kiralu76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Reading these posts made me realize that I am not alone!!

I have been struggling for years with binge eating issues. It got really bad over the past year or so, cause I live alone. Living alone I have no one to see how much food I eat.

But, over the past year it occurred to me that I am missing out on life. So, about 17 days ago, I had my last binge (probably not last ever), and woke up in the morning, with a food hangover from my binge, but I got on my yoga mat and started working out all of the crap I have eaten in the past year, and before.

The past few weeks have been amazing. I love that feeling after eating something healthy. I have been doing a lot of yoga, which is helping me recover from my bingeing.

I would love some support, and provide some support, feel free to friend me
  • chubbyyummymommy
    chubbyyummymommy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm eating even as type this...so yeah. I'm right there with you and fighting it everyday. Love to have you in my corner to cheer each other on.
  • allybird2
    allybird2 Posts: 45
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater, but I figure that when I suppress it, the urges just come back harder! So I 'binge' on nutritious and satisfying food, that way when I look back on it it's really hard to feel guilty. How guilty can you feel eating 3 bananas compared to a pack of Oreos?
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i did the same thing for 2 years - it's what got me to the point i am now. i went from 120lbs - 200lbs. i've lost 30 so far, but i know what you mean - i would eat the sugariest, fattiest things i could find and never be satisfied even when i knew in my mind that i was full, or at least should have been. in my case, i basically switched from being addicted to drugs/alcohol to being addicted to food. it definitely is a lifelong battle, but it's not hopeless by any means. you've made a huge step just by identifying that what you're doing is a problem and reaching out for help. i'm totally here to help :)
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    ME! When I'm stressed,sad or mad I will eat and eat till food can not physically fit down. I hate when people say they binged after having a small treat or just a slightly larger meal. This is not me in my picture, it's my goal. I'm trying to stop purging because I know it encourages more binging too. it's been about 2 weeks since I last did. :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, I struggle with this greatly. I am a former anorexic and struggle with emotionally based binge eating, and occasionally, bulimic tendencies. Some of it comes down to the fact I tend to swing between extremes of being very controlling in all areas of my life, to needing to just release all that, and it tends to be released on my food intake. When I binge, it is a case of eating large amounts in a short space of time, to a point of being totally bloated and swollen, and upset, but with me, it is not an out of control, cram everything in quickly sort of affair, but rather I eat at a fairly normal pace but past a point of even enjoying the food. When I binge, I eat foods that are sweet and dense in both calories and fat (think ice cream, chocolate, cake, cookies, doughnuts).

It is always a result of some form of avoidance of some situation or emotion, or as a result of depression, loneliness, boredom. I have not yet found an alternative means to distract and comfort myself, and wish I could as these episodes set me right back in terms of my fitness and health.

Please do add me if you struggle with the same thing, as long as your eating healthy and sustainable amounts the rest of the time (I find diaries of 1300 net or less quite triggering).