Veggie protein - no eggs?

Options
I'm after some ideas on how to up my protein, Most (50%) of my calories come from carbs right now, and I think eating more protein might 1) help me feel fuller (don't know if this is a myth?) and 2) reduce my carbs, because I have a strong family history of diabetes and a sweet tooth, and would rather take preventative action now!

I eat some cheese, but am always aware of the high saturated fat. I eat yoghurt very occasionally, I eat wholegrain bread and pasta and green veggies routinely. I eat some nuts occasionally, but again, they're so calorific. I can eat eggs cooked in cakes etc but eating a fried or scrambled egg disagrees with me (really annoying as we have chickens!). I'm vegetarian.

Can anyone suggest how I can get more protein in my diet without eating loads more fat?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lentils and lowfat cottage cheese are quite high in protein. Also quinoa, beans and tofu. Do you eat fish? Fish, shrimp and other seafood are high in protein, and very low fat.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. No, I very very rarely eat fish (usually out of politeness!) and I'd rather not make it a regular part of my diet.
    I have not liked cottage cheese in the past but maybe I will try it again - often I think trying things a few times can bring the taste buds round. More lentils is a good idea - I eat quite a lot of kidney beans, but I should throw a handful of lentils into soups and sauces to add protein. Good idea.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a protein powder to help supplement.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Seitan! Seitan is your high-protein low-calorie friend and you can make it yourself. I'm looking at my diary and the recipe I use (from "Vegan Diner", but I'd bet most basic seitan recipes are similar in nutrition) has 19g protein for 137 calories and 2g fat. It does seem to keep me full for a while. Check out some vegan cookbooks from the library since the vegetarian ones often rely heavily on cheese and eggs.

There's also light string cheese and unflavored soy milk. Have you tried nutrional yeast at all?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian you would want plenty of...

whole grains (barilla plus pastas)
    quinoa
    beans
    lentils
    low fat milk
    low fat cheese
    high protein cereals (Kashi original 13g, Special K protein plus 10 g)
    nuts
    nut butters
    greek yogurt
    protein bars
    soy

I go vegetarian sometimes cause of my stomach issues.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have never tried Seitan (just looked it up on wikipedia - the tin of mock duck looks a bit ew, but it seems it comes in many forms!). I eat tofu sometimes (should probably try to eat more of that too) so next time I'm in town I'll see if the health food shop stocks seitan as well. I don't think I can fit in making it myself right now.

I associate protein powder with steroid taking body builders and dodgy 'miracle cure' weight loss aids :tongue: but that may just be irrational prejudice!
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    Thanks Kyla. What's barilla pasta and what's kashi? Special K is pretty sugary, or at least the 'normal one is - don't know if that applies to the protein one? I'm at risk of diabetes because of family history, so try to steer clear - though cheerios are a fatal weakness of mine and full of sugar!
  • fzx122
    fzx122 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are awesome foods that are high carb/high protein and low fat. If you're willing to try something new, textured vegetable protein is a great product based on soybean. Very high protein, very versatile in the kitchen.

Protein powder is an easy and quick way to get more protein, but I consider it less of a food and more of a supplement. edit: I just saw your concerns regarding protein powder. Bodybuilders use it because they require a very high amount of protein their diet, but it has nothing to do with steroids or miracle cures. It is literally the concentrated form of proteins naturally occurring in milk.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    Is textured veg protein like soya mince? I use soya mince and sometimes quorn mince to make spag bol, and I should probably branch out into making other recipies with it too. Yes, I eat a lot of kidney and butter beans (in chilli mainly) so should use them and lentils more.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kyla. What's barilla pasta and what's kashi? Special K is pretty sugary, or at least the 'normal one is - don't know if that applies to the protein one? I'm at risk of diabetes because of family history, so try to steer clear - though cheerios are a fatal weakness of mine and full of sugar!

Your welcome! Oh I see, my mother has diabetes. Okay so may try quinoa pasta. I like Barilla Plus Pasta (brand) cause it is high in protein and fiber (10-17 grams of protein depending on the serving size). Kashi is a healthy brand of cereal that is also high in fiber and protein. Special K Protein Plus is not as sugary as the others. Both are less than 10g of sugar per serving. You can get ANY of those at a regular grocery store. Cherrios have only like 2-3 grams of protein and barely any fiber so are not a good option. I love them too!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Tempeh (made from soybeans) is another good source of vegetarian protein.
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would second tempeh, also some fake meat products. I'm a huge fan of the tofurkey brand italian sausage that they sell at Trader Joe's for both taste, cost-effectiveness, and protein content. Each sausage is 280 calories and 30 g protein