Is it possible to healthily lose 67 pounds in 4-5 months?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all these naysayers. I think it is possible depending on what you're willing to do. People who have done the Insanity workout, for example, have lost 40-50 pounds within two months, and they had to be eating a significant number of calories per day to fuel those workouts.

because usually to lose that much you are going to have to be super restrictive, which tends to lead to binge eating….or it leads to yo-yo dieting..as one has a lot to lose; loses all the weight, but has been so restrictive that they start to binge/eat more and put the weight back on and then six months later they have gained mod of the weight back….conversely, if they went for a more moderate approach and ate the foods that the liked, just less of them, then they would be less susceptible to binging and/or yo you dieting...
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all these naysayers. I think it is possible depending on what you're willing to do. People who have done the Insanity workout, for example, have lost 40-50 pounds within two months, and they had to be eating a significant number of calories per day to fuel those workouts.

There are a lot of misconceptions and flat out lies about rapid fat loss. A ton. Most people just regurgitate the same old dieting "rules" verbatim, without any real knowledge of human physiology.

The "slow and steady wins the race" mantra has just become the singular stalwart of dieting advice, even if ultimately it is quite possible to lose faster, and do it safely.

Nobody disputes that you can lose weight faster but it is a well known fact that the majority of people who go on a crash diet or lose the weight fast are more likely to regain their weight back when they start to eat "normally", that's why slow and steady wins

Except no, that's not true.

"Slow and steady" doesn't "win" anything. The statics for weight rebounding are abysmal across the board, regardless of the rate of weight loss. It's a total myth that losing weight at a slow pace has any significant advantages for long term weight maintenance than fast loss.

The vast majority of losers regain some, if not all, of their weight back no matter how fast, or slow, they lost it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

So you believe that a woman can go from 180 to 120 in 4 months? Did you read the OP? She isn't 300 going for 240........there is a huge difference in these two worlds. OP, if you are still around, please don't try this, you will only end disappointed. You probably can lose 30-35 pounds in that time though, and that would be awesome!!! People need to think about their advice.
  • blaizemcknight
    blaizemcknight Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible because I have almost done it. Don't let anyone tell you its not. I started following a weight loss program for dieting and exercise and lost a TON of weight fast. And it's not unhealthy either. I'm not starving myself or working out constantly! If you want some help send me a message!
  • prattiger65
    Options
    I think it is possible because I have almost done it. Don't let anyone tell you its not. I started following a weight loss program for dieting and exercise and lost a TON of weight fast. And it's not unhealthy either. I'm not starving myself or working out constantly! If you want some help send me a message!

What was your starting weight? Was it 180 or less?
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

There are a lot of misconceptions and flat out lies about rapid fat loss. A ton. Most people just regurgitate the same old dieting "rules" verbatim, without any real knowledge of human physiology.

The "slow and steady wins the race" mantra has just become the singular stalwart of dieting advice, even if ultimately it is quite possible to lose faster, and do it safely.

Nobody disputes that you can lose weight faster but it is a well known fact that the majority of people who go on a crash diet or lose the weight fast are more likely to regain their weight back when they start to eat "normally", that's why slow and steady wins

"Slow and steady" doesn't "win" anything. The statics for weight rebounding are abysmal across the board, regardless of the rate of weight loss. It's a total myth that losing weight at a slow pace has any significant advantages for long term weight maintenance than fast loss.

The vast majority of losers regain some, if not all, of their weight back no matter how fast, or slow, they lost it.

You. I like you. You talk sensibly.

Oh and I'll just point to my ticker. That's in under 60 days of work. I also have no intention of stopping, quitting, or going back to a ridiculous diet that caused me to gain weight, just because I'm magically predisposed to do so because I'm losing fast.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    40 pounds would be more realistic. That equals out to about 10 pounds a month. You would need to be super strict though.
    If you aim for 6 pounds a month you can lose 60 pounds in 10 months, twice the amount of time, but you'll still get there.

Um, 10 lbs a month is not realistic either. Even 6 lbs is pushing it.

According to who?

10 lbs a month is VERY doable for me. I've lost more.

So have I. But it's not really realistic to expect it. And given the amount of weight you've lost (congrats!) it stands to reason you'd lose more per week. The less someone has to lose, the less quickly they can expect to lose. And really, unless someone is in danger of dying imminently, it's not like there is any benefit to losing weight as quickly as possible..

I agree, it's not realistic for everyone.

I took exception to the idea that 10 lbs is somehow universally unrealistic, and that 6 lbs is pushing it. It really depends on the person. Some people are quite good at hunkering down and shifting weight. In my business, entertainment, I see men and women already in a normal weight range shift weight like that all the time, and more, in similar time periods. Obviously close to 70 in 4-5 months could qualify as unrealistic for most, but 6-10lbs per month could be doable for quite a lot of people.

Incidentally I'm aware of weight slow down. I've lost 10 lbs in a month, pretty easily, at weights much closer to my goal. I'm not talking about going from 320-310 in a month.

P.S. I appreciate the congrats!
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Honey, it took a while to get to the weight you are and it will take a while to get to the weight you want but do it responsibly! If you loose it too quickly it would mean you are NOT eating right and it will come right back on. It`s not just about what you eat but it`s about your lifestyle and attitude. YOU CAN DO IT! We are all here to support you!:flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    No.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to healthily lose 67 pounds in 4-5 months?

Only if you weigh 300lbs...

my thoughts exactly.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

You. I like you. You talk sensibly.

Oh and I'll just point to my ticker. That's in under 60 days of work. I also have no intention of stopping, quitting, or going back to a ridiculous diet that caused me to gain weight, just because I'm magically predisposed to do so because I'm losing fast.

Thanks. Ultimately I'm just talking from the hard, tough road of well earned experience.

I've lost slow. I've lost fast. The only present slow weight loss ever offered me was the misery of watching the weight rebound just as fast as when I lost slow. I learned years ago that slow weight loss offered me zero advantages. I can't knock anybody who is fine with losing at a snails pace, because it's all about finding what works for you. But if I'm actively losing weight, I can't stand doing so at the pace of an aging tortoise.
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options

So you believe that a woman can go from 180 to 120 in 4 months? Did you read the OP? She isn't 300 going for 240........there is a huge difference in these two worlds. OP, if you are still around, please don't try this, you will only end disappointed. You probably can lose 30-35 pounds in that time though, and that would be awesome!!! People need to think about their advice.

I don't get why you would assume I didn't read the OP. And I don't think anyone has the right to tell her she can't do it. A friend of mine went from 215 to 145 in 4 months doing a mix of P90X, Insanity, and Asylum - no, it's not 180 to 120, but it's pretty close.

And the flip side of the difference between going from 300 to 240 and 180 to 120 - a 180 pound person will be much more able to undertake intense exercise and burn off the calories than the 300 pound person.
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options

Nope. As others have said, the rate at which the weight is lost has nothing to do with the rate at which it comes back on. I've lost 10 pounds a week, 3 pounds a week, 1 pound a week, etc. And every time, when I started binging again, it came back on at the same rate. This is a myth that needs to be dispelled.
  • prattiger65
    Options

I don't get why you would assume I didn't read the OP. And I don't think anyone has the right to tell her she can't do it. A friend of mine went from 215 to 145 in 4 months doing a mix of P90X, Insanity, and Asylum - no, it's not 180 to 120, but it's pretty close.

And the flip side of the difference between going from 300 to 240 and 180 to 120 - a 180 pound person will be much more able to undertake intense exercise and burn off the calories than the 300 pound person.

Because this is an 18 year old young lady who want to lose 1/3 of her body weight beginning from a BMI of 32. That's almost 4 pounds per week. That is a tall order for someone who is morbidly obese. This young lady isn't morbidly obese. Now, she want to lose down to a BMI of 21, I'm sorry, I don't think encouraging her to try something that is all but impossible and absolutely unhealthy, is a good idea! Furthermore, the anecdotal " I know someone who did it" is, quite frankly, hard to believe. Again, people need to think before they advise. I'm betting you would not encourage your daughter to try this.
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options

Because this is an 18 year old young lady who want to lose 1/3 of her body weight beginning from a BMI of 32. That's almost 4 pounds per week. That is a tall order for someone who is morbidly obese. This young lady isn't morbidly obese. Now, she want to lose down to a BMI of 21, I'm sorry, I don't think encouraging her to try something that is all but impossible and absolutely unhealthy, is a good idea! Furthermore, the anecdotal " I know someone who did it" is, quite frankly, hard to believe. Again, people need to think before they advise. I'm betting you would not encourage your daughter to try this.

First of all, I'm not nearly old enough to have a daughter that age. And anything that anyone says on a forum is "hard to believe," considering that we are all strangers and we could all be lying for all anyone knows.

Do you have proof that her goal is unhealthy? Because there are a BUNCH of people who have done Insanity, people I know, people in testimonials, etc. who have lost weight that fast or even faster, and it would be ridiculous to call them unhealthy. It's unhealthy if it's done in certain ways, such as starvation or excessive exercise to the point where it is taxing your organs, but it's ridiculous to unequivocally say that it is unhealthy.

And honestly, as someone who has a similar amount of weight to lose in a similar amount of time, I know that I personally would not be okay with strangers being discouraging based on FALSE information.

Clearly it's not "impossible" - there are many examples of people on MFP, people who have done rigorous Beachbody workouts, and people on The Biggest Loser who have lost weight even much faster than this. Of course I would never advise anyone to take a Biggest Loser approach to weight loss, but to say it's "impossible" is ridiculous.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Can someone post an "In before the lock" gif for me..... I'm on my IPad. It would surely require a VLCD for the OP to drop that much weight that fast.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Either way you are going to feel so much better once you are off the sodas and junk food and begin exercising regularly. Good luck to you!
  • prattiger65
    Options

First of all, I'm not nearly old enough to have a daughter that age. And anything that anyone says on a forum is "hard to believe," considering that we are all strangers and we could all be lying for all anyone knows.

Do you have proof that her goal is unhealthy? Because there are a BUNCH of people who have done Insanity, people I know, people in testimonials, etc. who have lost weight that fast or even faster, and it would be ridiculous to call them unhealthy. It's unhealthy if it's done in certain ways, such as starvation or excessive exercise to the point where it is taxing your organs, but it's ridiculous to unequivocally say that it is unhealthy.

And honestly, as someone who has a similar amount of weight to lose in a similar amount of time, I know that I personally would not be okay with strangers being discouraging based on FALSE information.

Clearly it's not "impossible" - there are many examples of people on MFP, people who have done rigorous Beachbody workouts, and people on The Biggest Loser who have lost weight even much faster than this. Of course I would never advise anyone to take a Biggest Loser approach to weight loss, but to say it's "impossible" is ridiculous.

Again with the "bunch of people" anecdotal evidence. Do you happen to be a beachbody coach? You sound like one. You are also arguing from a bad position., the position of ignorance. You should stop, you don't know what you are talking about. I am actually trying to be polite to you, but my patience is wearing thin. Please, please stop, what you are advocating is dangerous on more than one level. Would you really advise an 18 gear old girl to go on a diet this drastic? You want to create an eating disorder where one doesn't yet exist? AGAIN, think before you offer advice.

ETA. There are not many examples on MFP of people going from 180 to 120 at 5'3" in 12 weeks, if I'm wrong, prove it.
This discussion has been closed.