Vegan Deficiency

Options
Im looking into being vegan. I hate eating meat and it often makes me tired after eating. Things like milk, yogurt, and cheeses make my stomach hurt. I love the feeling of eating lots of raw fruits. Ive been looking into trying it but I'm worried about not getting essential vitamins and minerals. I also want to hit my protein and fat (60/20/20 or 50/30/20) and I dont want to have to eat 53636 potatoes, avocados, and nuts.

If you could tell me things like
your experience with the vegan lifestyle and how it works with you
what supplements you take if any and what for
things you eat to make sure you hit certain goals

Thanks (-:

Replies

• Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would check into the Happy Herbivore she has some great recipies and her new book Light and lean is awesome..
    I think it is all about knowing how to balance out your food just like if you were eating meat. Just making sure your getting enough protein and such. we use LOTS of lentils. We make tacos but use lentils instead of the meat and add the seasoning to that . Then Hubby uses Daiya "cheese" for his tacos.

I Know Vitamin b12 is lacking in the Vegan diet so that is a supplement you would need to take.

feel free to friend me if you would like. My hubby went Vegan about 18 months ago so I have a few great recipies that I would share.
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I supplement Vitamin B12 and I know my vitamin D was a little bit low but that's it. If you have any further questions just let me know.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I also supplement B-12 and D (they even make vegan D3 now) but a great deal of foods that are marketed toward vegans are fortified with these things already. Check out the groups Team Vegan and Happy Herbivores.
  • misdreagus
    misdreagus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have soy milk, soy cheese, vegan fake meats, brown bread, cereal, loads of fruit and veg!
    I use B12 tablets to make sure I'm getting enough of that.
    There are vegan protein powders available too.
    I used to watch a lot of Freelee the banana girl to motivate me haha!
    It's pretty easy to be vegan now, most restaurants will cater for you as long as you ask! :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've been a Vegan for 15 years the only thing you cannot get naturally from a Vegan diet is B12. So you either need to take a supplement or eat fortified foods such as milks etc. Everything else you'll get from a balanced diet
  • talkytina9
    talkytina9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Another jumper on the colonial veganism bandwagon..lol..
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Another jumper on the colonial veganism bandwagon..lol..

And you felt this contributed to the topic how exactly?
  • MeAlley3148
    MeAlley3148 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey babe- I take liquid B12 and D3. I get 75-85 protein grams daily which helps the metabolism. I am light on the soy (because GMOs) but I eat beans, nuts, daily. I go for 1200 calories daily.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Get yourself down to your local health food shop. Here's a brief overview of what I typically eat:

Nut butters to replace spreads on toast and for making up sauces e.g. curry etc (100% natural peanut butter, almond butter, cashew nut butter).

Almond milk for cereal, tea, making sauces, baking etc.

Salads with avocado, olives, sundried tomatoes etc.

Miso veg soup with tofu

Scrambled tofu on toast

Loads of hoembaked cakes and muffins. Egg free is easy. Use olive oil, dark chocolate and cocoa a lot. Peanut butter or cashew nut butter makes a great frosting.

I also make up peanut butter and flaxseed flapjacks with Good Hemp protein powder (loads of protein and omega 3),

Kale on everything - including Kale chips

Nutritional yeast with added B12 on all kinds for a nutty/cheesy flavour

Wholewheat pasta, quinoa etc, different beans, chick peas etc. Make tasty bean/lentil burgers and freeze them.

Nut roast with roast tats or sweet potatoes, veg of your choice.

Natural soya mince or Neal's Yard soya pieces (latter 50% protein) (not eggy Quorn rubbish with all kids of cr*p in)

Make my own pizza bases with peppers, sundered tomatoes, olives, nutritional yeast flakes

I could eat homemade humous and guacamole till the cows come home!

There are loads of soya yoghurts, soya custard, soya creams etc available.

Nakd fruit bars as snacks

…just an overview. This is a great resource: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

I don't take any supplements except for vitamin d3 in mega doses (for mild MS but I think most of the population in non sunny climates are deficient)

I take 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil a day to get my omega 3 fix. Good luck!